GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheryl and I are extremely grateful for the support and encouragement received from everyone after our accident in the hill country. We very much appreciate everyone that took time to contact us to see how we are doing, and the thoughtful card from the group. We are doing well though still moving slowly and taking the ole Advil. We did not have anything broken so hopefully we'll be back to normal in a couple weeks or so.

I did not get everyone's names that helped at the accident but we extend a special thanks to Blaine for following up with getting the trike properly stored and to Johnny for tracking us down in the emergency room in Kerrville and then getting our car to us so we wouldn't be stranded when we were discharged...which was after midnight. The trike was finally transferred to start repairs yesterday. The fine folks at Georgetown Honda agreed to take on the repair job and I drove down today to see the damage and pick up our stuff that was left with the trike. They had already disassembled the trike so couldn't get any meaningful pictures.

The short version of the cause for the accident was primarily my inexperience, with a little help from a very large rock or two next to the road. At this point we are both determined not to give up but the real test will be when the trike repairs are done. In the mean time, I'm trying to find when and where trike training courses are being held, other than Washington and New York...the only two I've found so far. I did come across the Pineywoods Riding Academy in Huntington, TX and called them but didn't get much information. Anyone know anything about them?

Bottom line is that I'm determined to find safe ways to improve my driving skills. I'm open to tips, suggestions, insults...whatever you want to throw my way. Hopefully, I can document the information so that other rookies can benefit as well.

Best regards to all and may all keep the rubber side down...and I mean that literally.
Lane

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Leedoug,

Sorry to hear about your accident, we weren't able to attend the Hill Country Trikes gathering.... Maybe next year.

If you're looking for a Trike Course the GWRRA Texas District Rally is coming up on May 14th-16th, there will be a trike course during the rally.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Leedoug,

As a matter of fact, my wife and I just registered for the Wing-Ding in Tulsa, Okla. in July 2-5 and there will be a trike riding training course there. I know that's a long way to go for a training class, but at least it's closer than NEW YORK CITY! LOL Plus, we're hoping to meet some nice folks just like we did in Kerrville.
Good luck with the trike repairs and your training class and hopefully we'll see you again in Russellville in October.

Ron and Chris McGowan
Pearland, Texas

·
Registered
210 Posts
I started riding at 67 years young , take the class , but ride , ride that is your best teacher . Ride at your own skill level ,do not be pushed by others .

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I started riding at 67 years young , take the class , but ride , ride that is your best teacher . Ride at your own skill level ,do not be pushed by others .
Lane, Glad to hear that you and the wife aren't giving it up, and mostly Alright. I have been wondering about this. The above is the Absolute Best Advice there is. Get well, and ride on.....:yes1:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Finally I have something to contribute to this forum!

Call Don Rohde at Texas Trikewerx in Belton (254.933.7366). He gave me the name and number (which I can't find this morning) of a guy in Belton that teaches trike riding classes.

I agree that experience is your best teacher... but learning the proper techniques to apply when gaining that experience is even better!

For example... knowing when and how to "lean" (shift your weight) on the trike in a curve... and did you know that you don't put the front wheel in the center of the road?

Happy to hear that your injuries weren't too serious and that you are both going to get back into the saddle...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I am sure many will disagree, but I think just actual time behind the bars are of more benefit than a riding course. I took beginners and advanced for two wheels and think it was great. But for 3 wheels, I think experience is the best teacher.

Not sure how your accident happened, but you mentioned a rock. 3 years ago, between Silverton and Ouray, I came around a blind curve and there was a large rock in the middle of my lane. Nowhere for me to avoid it, unlike on 2 wheels, so I rode over it. Tore up both floorboards, but I had no choice. Again, I think experience and miles will do wonders. Only push it when you have reached your comfort level.

BTW, I don't know if you were riding in a group, but group riding in the hill country where you might be inclined to keep up with the Joneses could be a little intimidating.

Glad you are sticking with it. Once you get the hang of it and reach a good comfort level, you will love it.

Flame suit on.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi Lane,

Like WhiskeryGoofy, I totally agree. You may very well get nothing but spending your money.

Once you are an accomplished Wing Rider, I feel you will get very little in a trike course. It's a parking lot riding course.

What you need is time behind the handlebars, and a hand full of back road tips.

Like where (positions) one needs to be in approaching, and rolling through the covers.

Unlike two wheels, Trike braking is 80% rear, with a light touch on the front (or the front wheel will slid).

I wish we didn't live so far apart, I would gladly take the back seat, and give you a few tips for the cost of sharing a Hamburger....LOL, (and save you some money)

I just read that site posted above. They refer to a "Tip-over Line". that reads as such.

"Unique to three-wheelers is the need to adjust your
upper body position during cornering. It is necessary to lean
in the direction you intend to turn to avoid raising the inside
wheel and, possibly, flipping over. Leaning like this is
sometimes referred to as hanging off."

I hope Don Austin reads this, he will verify I have been screaming this for years. It works very well in hot curves.

Dean & I pray the two of you will continue toward a complete recovery.

:doorag: :doorag: :doorag:

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I am sure many will disagree, but I think just actual time behind the bars are of more benefit than a riding course. I took beginners and advanced for two wheels and think it was great. But for 3 wheels, I think experience is the best teacher.

Not sure how your accident happened, but you mentioned a rock. 3 years ago, between Silverton and Ouray, I came around a blind curve and there was a large rock in the middle of my lane. Nowhere for me to avoid it, unlike on 2 wheels, so I rode over it. Tore up both floorboards, but I had no choice. Again, I think experience and miles will do wonders. Only push it when you have reached your comfort level.

BTW, I don't know if you were riding in a group, but group riding in the hill country where you might be inclined to keep up with the Joneses could be a little intimidating.

Glad you are sticking with it. Once you get the hang of it and reach a good comfort level, you will love it.

Flame suit on.

I agree with you.......:thumbup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
As I set here reading about your accident.I get the feeling that when a group go riding in the curves they have tendency to see how fast they can go. if your not sure.go a little slower and accelerate. it is a lot safer than trying to slow down after you have went in to hot.after you get your trike back go out by you self and practice until you feel right

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Lane, I commend you for your sincere honesty. It takes a REAL man to admit before many thousands of other testosterone bearing humans that he made a mistake.

Only recently has this forum started to talk about safety. We've all been reading about the talents of those who love to "carve those curves" and show the world their manliness. Ask Jerry what carving those curves gets you?

Several members have now added a line to their signature: The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it? Some are seriously now getting it. We CAN’T ever forget his message. While we can’t stop those self-proclaimed more experienced ones from riding off the cliffs, for us Real men, let’s ride safely and responsibly.

Wayne

·
Registered
809 Posts
Lee I am glad you and the boss are feeling better. I need no thanks at all. You and all that we ride with would have done the same for each other. That's what makes our group special.
I glad that Georgetown Honda is willing to work with you. Let me know when you plan on picking it up. I might get a chance to met you there or in between. You know how to find me. See ya. Give the boss a hug for me!

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Good post Wayne. Within just a few months of my learning to ride (let alone the fact it was my first Trike) I was on a ride with a seasoned group of about 30 others and they were digging up the road and curves at quite a clip. I bailed after about and hour and a half and just pulled over and stopped. They all came back to see what was wrong and I just told them I'm new, I'm pooped and I can't keep up.........I'll catch up later.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Im very glad you are both recovering, and will continue to enjoy your trike.

Nothing beats road time and experience, but I differ with folks who "poo-poo" taking any rider education classes.

I have been riding for over 40 years, and have logged over 200k miles, with only 1 accident, so far (knock on wood). That accident was caused by an unlicensed, uninsured motorcyclist rear-ending me. The good part of that wreck was being well trained, and I avoided rear-ending the 20 stopped bikes in front of me, and 2 pedestrians on the side of the road.

I always make it a point to take away 1 new lesson for every class, whether I am attending, or teaching. This old dog is NEVER too proud to say I learned a new trick...even from a rookie.

My life means too much to me to NOT be safety concious....at work, at home, at play...all the time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks

...Ditto to Wayne's post. Lane and Cheryl are a great couple, and when I spoke with Lane last weekend, one question was "Will Cheryl get back on "the horse". His answer was the best thing I heard..."YES, I think so"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A wealth of good information

Its really great to get all this feedback. After comparing your information with my self analysis of events leading up the the incident, I see where I had fooled myself into thinking all was going fine when actually I had not considered all the possibilities. I do know that I need to learn the correct reaction for as many driving events as possible. You have helped me get the ball rolling and I don't care where I get the information, a trike class or two, some of you have offered personal instruction and I hope it works out that I can accept your offers, and then drilling myself to get the correct result without having to think about it. Looking back, I had several seconds to correct my misjudgement but I just flat didn't know what the correct reaction should have been. I've got some clues now and I'm determined to follow through.

I doubt if repairs are completed in time to catch the May GWRRA classes but the July WingDing is a definite possibility...I even have relatives in Tulsa. Will also check out the other training leads you passed on.

Thanks again to everyone. I plan to go back over your comments several times so I don't miss anything and hopefully a few more will chime in with more suggestions.
Best to all,
Lane (LeeDoug)

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Lane,
When you get it all back together, and want to get a little experience with some mix of good ole country ridding, and mild turns, with twisties AT a Scenic Pace let me know, and we can get together over in this area. There are some really good back roads around the lake that can be really good for gaining experience, and at your own pace. We are streaght West of you 150 miles. Possem Kingdom Lake area. Turn west on 380 and head out to where I am. If you come through Runaway Bay remember the speed is 55, and they prety much mean 55 too :shock:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hi Lane,
The wife and I were at the end of the table with y'all for the lunch at Neal's.
Glad to hear that y'all will be back in the saddle and this little bump in the road (no pun intended) hasn't scared you off.
Marsha and I were hit by a car and flipped our trike in June of 2007. No really major injuries to speak of. Getting back on a trike was the best thing we ever did. Touring on that thing is the most fun and some of the best times we have ever had together.
Just get with George and get some good solid road experience. Spend some time doing some weight shifting manuvers. Go practice in a big parking lot somewhere.

Take care. Hope to see y'all down the road somewhere.

-Dan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts