GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to work this morning, I hit a wet spot in a 90-degree turn and dumped my 1800! Broke my left mirror, which probably wouldn't have happened if I didn't have the Baker mirror wings. Trashed my jeans, with a very small hole in the knee. The engine guards are scraped up, and will be replaced eventually.

Today, however, I've ordered a new mirror from HDL. Dave @ HDL fixed me right up, and I should be back on the road again by the middle of next week.

Initially, I was going to swear off E-3's forever, but there is some kind of oil all over knee of my jeans, so I don't think a different brand would've made a difference.

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
Glad you're okay! It sure doesn't take long to taste the asphalt.

A little duct tape for the mirror and jeans and you're good to go!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hey, buddy! Sorry to hear about the get off, but glad you are OK!
Book it into "Lessons learned" and go on! It's just plastic and stuff, right? :wink:
Stay safe!

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Oil & water is very bad for traction. :shock:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Glad your ok John

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys! I chose this route to work because it has less traffic, and those curves are usually a bonus. But it's unsettling to have a bike go out from under you!

The last time something like this happened to me was about 21 years ago on a cold winter morning, the first day I ever tried to ride to work. Hit some black ice in a curve...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Glad your'e alright Jon

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Glad you only had a bit of a spill, Jon. I know about the jeans problem. Many, many years ago when stationed in the Philippines, I was heading out to work when a calf jumped out of a ditch into my path. I was on a Honda Benley (90cc) and it and I wound up scooting down the middle of a Bailey bridge just before you got to the Receiver Building. The floor was made of wood. I had on a brand new pair of Navy bluejeans and chambray shirt, both which got holes in them and could never be worn again.

Glad that's all that got messed up. As you know, mirrors and jeans can be replaced, but you can't.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
552 Posts
Re: A Humbling Experience

Son of Thunder said:
On the way to work this morning, I hit a wet spot in a 90-degree turn and dumped my 1800!
Does this count as an official crash?

If so, Mr. Kockochak has to buy another piece of safety gear... ohhhh the agony :roll:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: A Humbling Experience

azblackbird said:
Does this count as an official crash?

If so, Mr. Kockochak has to buy another piece of safety gear... ohhhh the agony :roll:
I don't know about that. But besides my helmet, I was wearing leather boots, denim jeans, leather gloves, and a first gear MeshTek II jacket, and was glad for every bit of it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sorry to hear about your "get off", John. Glad to hear you are okay.
Never an easy feeling when what is under you suddenly goes away!

Paul H.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Negotiating a downhill sweeper to the right I hit an oil slick under a wet I-5 in Oregon. I was running about 60. To this day about all I remember was the back end sliding out and hitting the pavement and then coming to on the side of the freeway. Totaled my 2001 and trashed my left ankle and spent almost 6 months recovering.
Yeah, Oil and water or a big old oil slick are both bad news.
I am truly glad your ok and your damage wasnt more considerable.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Good to hear you are OK. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Wow
It's no fun that's for sure.
Glad you weren't hurt...Plastic and stuff can be replaced.Ask me how I know..LOL

Be blessed

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Glad your safe. We've had enuf of the extreme serious ones this season.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts