GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been riding motorcycles since 1966 (please don't do the math) and every fall when I put my bike away for the season I wonder if I'll still feel the same about riding in the spring, I just figure that one of these years I'll tire (pun intended) of it and become a summertime couch potato but I still enjoy it as much as I did when I was a teenager back in the 60's with my red hair blowing in the wind, unfortunately the wind has blown most of it away and what's left ceased being red a long time ago. I've seen people fall in and out of love with this sport and I just can't understand how some people lose their passion for it. I've seen many long term riders also decide to hang 'em up feeling they are too old. I've had friends that I rode with for years pass away, not as a result of riding, but because of sickness or other tragic events. In all my years of riding I've only had one friend killed in a motorcycle accident. I've had friends killed while felling trees, in car accidents and industrial accidents so life has a way of taking its toll on us one way or another.

It's extremely hot for May up here in The Great White North so my wife and I wait until the evening when it cools down a little bit to go to a ride. The lilac trees are in full bloom, the cows and horses are out in the fields and roads are pretty much deserted, the odour from those aforementioned lilac trees is intoxicating, along with the 'pleasant' whiff of farms and seeing their hard working owners doing as much as they can before nightfall, just the essence or zen of riding, if you will, is just so enjoyable. I had my 60's music cranked up, my wife behind me and somhow magically all my aches and pains, my worries about the state of the world, all the hate and racism so rampant in the world today, all seem to dissipate with every passing kilometer until I reach that point where life seems so good that I just cannot imagine a world with me in it where I'm not riding a motorcycle. I love this sport, it is cathartic for me in ways I can't explain and I truly feel sorry for those that have never had the chance to ride or simply don't want to. So, as I head into another year of riding, will I feel I've had enough and it's time to call it quits? Not this year, I'm afraid I'm destined to a life behind bars.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My uncle Pete bought a new Black 305 Dream in 65. He started taking me along as a passenger. He instilled my passion . I bought my first bike a few years later. I think I was 12 when I purchased that Red Honda C110 (50cc) . I havent been with out a bike since. Life behind bars isn't always a bad thing. It's been a wonderful way to meet folks and enjoy the scenery . Ride On !

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m a youngster didn’t start riding until about 1969.
i wonder if Polecat still rides ?
DBohrer, you got me. I didn't start riding until 1957 at (12 yrs old).

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
WoW! Yes, awesome post, here. I've been riding since my parents bought me (I was 15 yrs old / 54 years ago.) a Honda 50cc w/the step thru frame) my mother used to drive me around for 6 months till I was old enough to get a drivers license. [I rode that 50cc to school everyday/all winter] wonderful memories here..Then I upgraded to a Suzuki 80CC, then Suzuki 250CC, then Honda 450cc, Suzuki 850cc, Kawi 1200, Honda 1832 cc, and now my present 2010 Goldwing, now it's triked out...... Like you I could not even imagine, not having a motorcycle in my garage.. Just yesterday, off I went for a 90 miles ride, just to clear all the cobwebs in my head , because of this covid 19 B/S

Ronnie

Reactions: RRIXX

·
Registered
382 Posts
A life behind bars...nice! I've been riding since I was 17 in 1972. Owned two motorcycles, a Suzuki TS-100 then later a TS-125 before I ever owned my first car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a lot of admiration for lifetime riders because they truly "get it". My "life behind bars" is only up to 56 years. Like the OP, I know that my last ride is getting closer and that fact actually makes me more passionate about motorcycling. I crave getting on the bike as much as ever even though it hurts to throw a leg over the saddle. It hurts to grip the bars for hours on end but it hurts the most, physically and mentally, to have to get off the bike.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Everybody is different. I came to riding late. Both of my sons have actually been riding longer than I have. But due to health issues and other factors, in the last few years I have ridden more than they have. Every year I wonder if it is my last but so far no. I'm gonna do it as long as I can. I have a trike for when my wife goes along but 2 wheels are still the best. There ain't nothing like scuffing a little rubber on a crooked road.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Which reminds me, its, about ten after 8am, the sun is shining, supposed to be up to 20C or a little more, and I only came in here, (Computer Room), to drink my coffee, and the coffee is gone, sooooooo, here I go.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ok guys................I have to "Fess Up"....

I started riding at age 17 (1954) on my brothers 1949 Indian (single cylinder). Then rode his 1951 and 1952 Triumph's and his 1960 BSA 650 Super Rocket.

I bought a 1967 BSA 500 cc twin, then a 1972 BSA 650 cc, 1976 Honda CB 750, 1977 Gold Wing (GL1000), 1990 Gold Wing GL1500) and a 1999 Gold Wing SE (GL1500).

In September 2019 (age 82), I decided to sell the 1999 Gold Wing SE (222,905 miles) and retire from riding on a regular basis.

We (wife and I) did three Coast to Coast trips, rode in all the lower 48 and Canada, many other trips within the lower 48, all 55 counties of WV, all 25 counties of Maryland and such.

My wife rode with me on the 1990 and 1999 Gold Wing's. After she passed in November 2015, riding just wasn't as much fun as before.

I still crank up the 1967 BSA once a month or so and ride a few miles.

I had always told myself I would quit riding while I could still ride good. Did not want to ride until I became vulnerable and have an accident or such.

I was only down on the road twice, hit a dog with the 1949 Indian (couple of scrapes but not injury). Down as a passenger on my nephews Honda CB 750 (couple scrapes but no injuries).

I am very blessed to have ridden so long with no major accidents or injuries. My total miles on bikes is about 400,000.

All of my riding was on "two wheels". I was never interested in a Trike.

I do kinda miss the Gold Wing but not quite as much as I though I might miss it.

I am a happy camper......!! ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been riding motorcycles since 1966 (please don't do the math) and every fall when I put my bike away for the season I wonder if I'll still feel the same about riding in the spring, I just figure that one of these years I'll tire (pun intended) of it and become a summertime couch potato but I still enjoy it as much as I did when I was a teenager back in the 60's with my red hair blowing in the wind, unfortunately the wind has blown most of it away and what's left ceased being red a long time ago. I've seen people fall in and out of love with this sport and I just can't understand how some people lose their passion for it. I've seen many long term riders also decide to hang 'em up feeling they are too old. I've had friends that I rode with for years pass away, not as a result of riding, but because of sickness or other tragic events. In all my years of riding I've only had one friend killed in a motorcycle accident. I've had friends killed while felling trees, in car accidents and industrial accidents so life has a way of taking its toll on us one way or another.

It's extremely hot for May up here in The Great White North so my wife and I wait until the evening when it cools down a little bit to go to a ride. The lilac trees are in full bloom, the cows and horses are out in the fields and roads are pretty much deserted, the odour from those aforementioned lilac trees is intoxicating, along with the 'pleasant' whiff of farms and seeing their hard working owners doing as much as they can before nightfall, just the essence or zen of riding, if you will, is just so enjoyable. I had my 60's music cranked up, my wife behind me and somhow magically all my aches and pains, my worries about the state of the world, all the hate and racism so rampant in the world today, all seem to dissipate with every passing kilometer until I reach that point where life seems so good that I just cannot imagine a world with me in it where I'm not riding a motorcycle. I love this sport, it is cathartic for me in ways I can't explain and I truly feel sorry for those that have never had the chance to ride or simply don't want to. So, as I head into another year of riding, will I feel I've had enough and it's time to call it quits? Not this year, I'm afraid I'm destined to a life behind bars.
Wow RRIXX - you just blew me away with your essay. For a moment there, I could smell those lilacs and fertilizer, & felt like I was riding myself. People get paid for writing like that. Thanx for getting me outta Da Bronx for a minute.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok guys................I have to "Fess Up"....

I started riding at age 17 (1954) on my brothers 1949 Indian (single cylinder). Then rode his 1951 and 1952 Triumph's and his 1960 BSA 650 Super Rocket.

I bought a 1967 BSA 500 cc twin, then a 1972 BSA 650 cc, 1976 Honda CB 750, 1977 Gold Wing (GL1000), 1990 Gold Wing GL1500) and a 1999 Gold Wing SE (GL1500).

In September 2019 (age 82), I decided to sell the 1999 Gold Wing SE (222,905 miles) and retire from riding on a regular basis.

We (wife and I) did three Coast to Coast trips, rode in all the lower 48 and Canada, many other trips within the lower 48, all 55 counties of WV, all 25 counties of Maryland and such.

My wife rode with me on the 1990 and 1999 Gold Wing's. After she passed in November 2015, riding just wasn't as much fun as before.

I still crank up the 1967 BSA once a month or so and ride a few miles.

I had always told myself I would quit riding while I could still ride good. Did not want to ride until I became vulnerable and have an accident or such.

I was only down on the road twice, hit a dog with the 1949 Indian (couple of scrapes but not injury). Down as a passenger on my nephews Honda CB 750 (couple scrapes but no injuries).

I am very blessed to have ridden so long with no major accidents or injuries. My total miles on bikes is about 400,000.

All of my riding was on "two wheels". I was never interested in a Trike.

I do kinda miss the Gold Wing but not quite as much as I though I might miss it.

I am a happy camper......!! ..
Good for you, I can understand how it must have been very difficult to ride once your wife passed away, I'd like to ride until I'm in my 80's too (at least) so riders like you are an inspiration for us mature riders, thanks for your heartfelt post.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m a youngster didn’t start riding until about 1969 Age 15
i wonder if Polecat still rides ?
Last I spoke to Steve he was selling his Wing, he had already sold his VTX and I'm not sure if he sold his Wing or not, I miss the old gang.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts