GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in at 7:30am yesterday to have a torn miniscus repaired. 2 hr wait to go to surgery, 20 minute surgery, recovery included a glass of tea and a ham sandwich and I am out the door, headed home. Slept the hour drive home and crashed until 5pm last night. Got up and had some supper and felt great--no pain. Hit the sack about 8:30-still no pain. Up at 7am this morning-no pain and have been sitting here at my desk at work, takin it easy-still no pain. So far so good. Doc says I can get back on the bike in about a week!! SWEET!!!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sounds like you had a good outcome. I had a total knee replacement on 3/2/11. After pt and staying off the bike for about 1.5 months The SO and I have done a 3500 and a 1200 mile ride with no problems. We just stop often to see the sights and smell the roses. Best my knee has felt in years. We now walk 2-4 miles every morning. Enjoy.

Joe in Redding

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
That is awesome! There are different degrees of injury and it looks like you definitely lucked out!!! Good to hear a positive outcome ... not all turn out that way. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Right medial menisectomy in 2001 with similar results. Total knee replacements in July(right) and December(left) of 2007. Hope you can avoid that. Titanium does not hurt, but it does get you some wonderfully intimate pat-downs at the airport. :shock::confused::22yikes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Went in at 7:30am yesterday to have a torn miniscus repaired. 2 hr wait to go to surgery, 20 minute surgery, recovery included a glass of tea and a ham sandwich and I am out the door, headed home. Slept the hour drive home and crashed until 5pm last night. Got up and had some supper and felt great--no pain. Hit the sack about 8:30-still no pain. Up at 7am this morning-no pain and have been sitting here at my desk at work, takin it easy-still no pain. So far so good. Doc says I can get back on the bike in about a week!! SWEET!!!!!

They repaired it or cut some out? I've got a couple of non-displaced tears that provide some tweaky pain....not something I would expect to have surgery, but if a repair rather than removal is possible, might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Glad to hear you're still doing so good today too. Would have thought you'd have at least some discomfort. Amazing! Don't push it, milk the down time for all that you can!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Had a torn meniscus repaired end of July, little discomfort for couple of days, day 3, all back to normal. No problems since.
Then had my shoulder repaired 8 weeks ago, still in rehab, taking longer to get over this one. :-(

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They repaired it or cut some out? I've got a couple of non-displaced tears that provide some tweaky pain....not something I would expect to have surgery, but if a repair rather than removal is possible, might be worth looking into.
He trimmed the bad edges and trimmed/ removed a small part of the site of the tear. Cleaned out aurthritus(sp) and the pics look clean as a whisltle now. Still no pain or discomfort. I went home at lunch, took the heavy wrap off, put bandaids on the 3 stapled sites, iced it for 45 minutes and went back to work. All is good--so far!!

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
Glad to hear that it went so well, Mark!

B

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Knee surgery

Mark,

Great to hear of your rapid and painless recovery!

Does this mean we can expect to see you and Rhonda next season on "Dancing With The Stars"?

10 days to Ripfest!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark,

Great to hear of your rapid and painless recovery!

Does this mean we can expect to see you and Rhonda next season on "Dancing With The Stars"?

10 days to Ripfest!
As I sit here in my doc issued support hose, I am thinking I might make a ballet dancer. I need a tutu or a three three!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
As I sit here in my doc issued support hose, I am thinking I might make a ballet dancer. I need a tutu or a three three!!!

That left a mental impression.:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
WOW
I had my knee "tuned up" this summer. Same deal....20 minutes. I was fine for a day and a half and then I was hurting. The crutches were needed then! That knee works better then the original on the other leg

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
You're going to be fine. Getting a knee scoped is not very invasive.

When I was in high school, back in the 70's, I tore the lateral meniscus in both knees at different times, one a baseball injury, and one from football. Back then, they had not yet invented arthroscopic surgery. It was open knee surgery, and took about 4-6 months to recover each time.

Your doctor may have explained this to you, but cartilage doesn't mend itself or grow back, unlike something like a ligament. Once it tears, it is permanent. Surgeons cut away the torn portion and smooth it out to alleviate the painful rubbing, and to reduce swelling, which just causes more pain.

Meniscus tears are often a precursor to arthritis. so keep those leg muscles in shape, and hopefully you can avoid problems down the road.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thanks for the post. :thumbup:

I have to get the same thing done.

Waiting till the end of the riding season.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You 'll be in good shape in no time....Had a hard crash sking tore my ACL ,,MCL and split the miniscus right threw the middle..After surgery that one took a year to heal..But it feels better than my other one now..

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
had mine done last month..
..not as good as you guys.

hobbled on crutches for 3 weeks
..now on a cane.

right knee feels like it has a mind of its own..
..that is, does not always want to go in the same direction as I do.
:-(

Dennis

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the good wishes! Tday is day 3 and all seems good! A little more tender than the previous days, but still no pain or discomfort. Dirt Devil, sorry for the mental anguish caused by thoughts of my whoo whoo in a tutu!!! Wonder if I can ride in these stockings?? hmmmmmm

1 - 20 of 31 Posts