GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up with a free plastic, waterproof, locking Honda box from a friend who owns a Yamaha dealership that he got on a traded bike. I tried it up close to the bike but can't open it without it hitting the back of my bike. I thought about having it slide in and out, but that would probably create some rattle. To get it to open it needs to be somewhat far back for my liking. So do you think it is too ugly to put on my wing? At this point nothing is bolted together and so far my cost is $0.00. It's small enough that it doesn't block my lights or plate. My helmet fits in it nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Turn it around so it opens back. Might have to decorate the back with something. I think you can have a practical, nice looking storage device.

..louie

·
Registered
443 Posts
You're right...it looks bad that far back! You should just box it up and send it to me. I wouldn't want you to suffer the embarrassment!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wonder if you'll have any heat issues with the stock exhaust tips?

Other than that, it just needs painting.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turn it around so it opens back. Might have to decorate the back with something. I think you can have a practical, nice looking storage device.

I turned it around and it does tighten it up, just not sure of the looks. I could get some LED lights and tie it into my trailer harness lights I guess, maybe a show me your boobs sticker..LOL

..louie
You're right...it looks bad that far back! You should just box it up and send it to me. I wouldn't want you to suffer the embarrassment!
Well I guess if I can't get it to my liking you will be the first to get it...LOL

I wonder if you'll have any heat issues with the stock exhaust tips?
Not sure about that either, it doesn't sit directly in front of the exhaust so I'm thinking that there is enough air around it that it would get warm but not hot enough to melt it...:shrug:

Other than that, it just needs painting.
I will leave it black, it seems to match the bike. What other color could you paint it?

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cool... Looks like a little barbeque :s13:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Looks good ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
:thumbup: Looks good! Does it mount in a receiver hitch? If so, you might be able to get a little longer piece of metal and cut it to the right length or make a slide and drill a hole, tap it with threads and use a bolt to butt up against it to keep it from rattling, kinda like the verticle receiver hitch has.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so what do you all think, which way would you face it? I like the looks with the key to the rear, but it does sit back a little far. with the key to the front it tightens it up nice...but. looking for opinions. I may work on the whole sliding concept. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I like it!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Looks like a nice storage pod.
What if you mounted it side ways you could still access the lock and latch easier than facing forward?? Not sure what it might look like?? just a thought

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
After looking at pic. #4 of your first pics.
It really doesn't seem mounted to far from the bike,I would probably mount it the way you started with the hinges towards the back of the bike.
Looks good :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
My home made carrier tray that I built looks OK, but I use an ice chest bungied to the tray---that is not so pretty but it gets the job done.
I think mounting yours forward or backward will work well. Take a few looks over a couple of days in both positions, then permanently mount it the way you like best. It is yours to do as YOU like!

·
Registered
72 Posts
so what do you all think, which way would you face it? I like the looks with the key to the rear, but it does sit back a little far. with the key to the front it tightens it up nice...but. looking for opinions. I may work on the whole sliding concept. :shrug:

Key facing back:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Cool... Looks like a little barbeque :s13:
Ya know...

That's an idea...

It'd require some sort of screen to keep the embers off the steaks, and a cage you could have the SO jump off the bike and flip it at a stop light...

I like it...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like it. I'd sell it to someone with a sport bike or cruiser who wants a small top box.

Not recommending you do that, seems most people think it is a good idea.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sidewinder?

Maybe change the hinge to one side, remove the existing hinge. Then it would open sideways like one of the big twin tourers. The lock mechanism would probably still work OK.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts