GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long ago, I had a fun little loop ride from Payson to Mesa, Superior, Hayden/Winkleman, Globe, Roosevelt Lake and back to Payson. As I was rolling along north of the Roosevelt Lake bridge, I happened upon the remnants of a massive debris flow which had covered Hwy 188. I noted with special interest the sand/mud was level with the top of the guard rail located left or west of the roadway. In normal times, the stream bed is a good 25-30 feet below the road grade. My mind became overwhelmed with images of what might occur if another heavy rain fell over the Bush Fire Burn Scar. Read below, the report and pictures will let you know what went through my mind...

A week ago, Hwy 188 was closed for 2 days due to a little mud/debris flow at Roosevelt Lake. I was stunned to read just how deep that mud flow was, glad no-one was caught underneath it.

Think I'll take another ride today or tomorrow to see just how much of mess is left upstream in this flow. In times past, work crews had cleaned out roughly 25' in depth and about a hundred yards upstream from the roadbed, to keep the road passable. Amazing what a couple of rains can do in such a short amount of time.

Enjoy the article and pics.

- David

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I had no problem reading and seeing the pic.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Not gonna buy a subscription to read an article.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The article is behind a paywall.
Not gonna buy a subscription to read an article.
Sorry about that! Once I get back to my computer I'll upload the images taken by Arizona DOT workers. The flow left behind is around 12' high, filled with mud, sand, rock and other debris. And that's directly on top of the roadbed...

- David

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Not sure what is going on. Never heard of that news outlet.

I don't have a subscription to it. Opened right up for me.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
apparently they give ya a few free views of articles. After that, ya gotta pay.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some pics taken by AZ DOT workers, on the debris flow remnants which topped Hwy 188 at Roosevelt Lake. The pictures are taken from the north side of the flow, and for those who know the area, understand there is a deep gully to the right (west) side of the roadway. This gully is normally 25' deep and nearly 50 yards wide, having been dug out several times following last years Bush wildfire which devastated a very large area of Tonto National Forest.

Regardless, enjoy the pics.

- David

Cloud Sky Water Water resources Natural landscape

Sky Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Cloud Sky Water resources Water Body of water

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
David, When you wanna go riding there again?
Steve

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David let me know as well have not been up that way on the wing yet
10-4. Roger Dodger. Willco. Copy. Message received.

Ya know, both you and Steve F are fairly close to each other and could charge across the Valley floor together.

Over and out...

- David

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I sent you guys a text message, let me know if that will work.
Steve F

1 - 13 of 13 Posts