GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not what you think.

My problem is: my wife doesn't want to go on long rides. She has no interest in touring.

We've tried shorter trips to get her acclimated and it's a no-go. She'd rather just go in the car. She doesn't mind day rides, a few hours at a time. She just doesn't want to tour.

I want to tour. I love the road. I love the adventure. I love the new experiences every day and the people you meet in small towns along the way.

We were both going to Maine with a couple of other bikes/riders, but she's backed out. Next year, I want to go to Colorado and Utah. The following year, a US perimeter trip. Eventually, Alaska.

While I'm on these trips, I miss her. I want to include her, but touring isn't the same in the car, IMO. There's nothing like doing it on a bike. At times, I think, "Screw it. Don't feel guilty. Just enjoy the trip." Other times, I'm thinking, "What's the point... without her?"

She wants to travel. Just not by motorcycle. I've gone without her before and when I get back, I can't really share the trip with her... she's not interested. To appease her, we've flown to various destinations and enjoyed it. This year, it's to San Fran and the Monterey Peninsula for our anniversary in October.

I'm sure I'm not alone. There must be others in the same boat.

How do you handle it? (Thanks for letting me vent)

·
Registered
61 Posts
In the same fix.

My wife is the same. Loves to travel but not on the bike. We've come up with a solution that seems to work pretty well. When I go on a bike trip, she will fly to my destination and spend a few days with me seeing the sights. Then she heads for the the airport and I hit the road again.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Coming from a single person... I'd say vows were not made to the bike. I think I'd happily trade my Wing for a mini-van and spend more time with the wife. No doubt touring is more fun on 2 wheels but...

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Bud's idea

sounds like a good one. It seems you can afford to do something like that. Perhaps some of your touring friends wives would be willing to do the same. You share the trip getting there with your buddies, then the area with your wife.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Tough situation for sure. If she does not object to you doing a tour without her once in awhile then do so and enjoy. No need to feel guilty; however, if you don't enjoy the trip even with her blessing you might as well forget it. If you do not have her blessing for the trip you are SOL and might as well forget it if you want to maintain a good relationship with your wife.

Disclaimer: I'm divorced LOL and have a girlfriend that loves to tour. Not that I'm recommending that. Goodluck.

Fred

·
Registered
707 Posts
Get a trailer for the wing and pull it behind you for the long hauls on the slab. Once you get near the good areas for riding, get a room and unload the bike and enjoy short adventures together. You can cover a lot of miles, do a bunch of riding and keep her happy as you guys see the country. It's not perfect - but it works!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It's not what you think.

My problem is: my wife doesn't want to go on long rides. She has no interest in touring.

We've tried shorter trips to get her acclimated and it's a no-go. She'd rather just go in the car. She doesn't mind day rides, a few hours at a time. She just doesn't want to tour.

I want to tour. I love the road. I love the adventure. I love the new experiences every day and the people you meet in small towns along the way.

We were both going to Maine with a couple of other bikes/riders, but she's backed out. Next year, I want to go to Colorado and Utah. The following year, a US perimeter trip. Eventually, Alaska.

While I'm on these trips, I miss her. I want to include her, but touring isn't the same in the car, IMO. There's nothing like doing it on a bike. At times, I think, "Screw it. Don't feel guilty. Just enjoy the trip." Other times, I'm thinking, "What's the point... without her?"

She wants to travel. Just not by motorcycle. I've gone without her before and when I get back, I can't really share the trip with her... she's not interested. To appease her, we've flown to various destinations and enjoyed it. This year, it's to San Fran and the Monterey Peninsula for our anniversary in October.

I'm sure I'm not alone. There must be others in the same boat.

How do you handle it? (Thanks for letting me vent)
You said it yourself and keep saying it: "Screw it. Don't feel guilty. Just enjoy the trip."

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Same Boat

I'm in the same boat as you and it does suck. My wife used to travel with me on long journeys on the road but she definitely has had her fill now and doesn't have the same fire and passion I have for traveling and staying on the road on the bike only. She does encourage me to take long solo trips, and I'm thankful for that, however, as you mentioned it's fun but not as fun not being able to share it with the one you love.

For now I'm continuing to take longer road trip solo and she will do some shorter rides around town ..... short stuff. In the future I will be looking into other solutions that will involve towing the wing behind some small camping RV so that she can enjoy traveling in more comfort.

Towing a bike is not in my DNA but it seems like the only compromise between these two positions.

Donnie

P. S. .... TimOnTheRoadAgain ..... I like it :)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
My wife is the same. Loves to travel but not on the bike. We've come up with a solution that seems to work pretty well. When I go on a bike trip, she will fly to my destination and spend a few days with me seeing the sights. Then she heads for the the airport and I hit the road again.
:agree:
This has worked very well for us too! Wife likes to ride but not the long distances. She sort of gets the best of both worlds with seeing the fun stuff and not drudging through places like the panhandle of Texas or the sweltering desert. At the destination, if she doesn't want to ride in the rain she can stay in the hotel or go shopping on the bad days. Planning the trip ahead of time so you can get reasonable airline tickets.

H

·
0 Posts
I say enjoy "your" time on the bike. We only go around once! Also enjoy your time "together" on trips you take together. My wife and I have been riding for 40+ years and wife had her own bike at one time. Now she enjoys scrap booking and stain glass and tells me to go wing and have fun. Some times we ride together sometimes we don't . With back and neck issues she would rather me go for it and she enjoys her interests. Happy married 31 years. Im far from Dr. Phil..LOL just my opinion........
Helix:p

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,877 Posts
My situation is very similar ...

This summer I went to Utah, California and back through Idaho and Wyoming. Had a buddy that went with me that is also in the same boat. His wife just does not care to go along. We had a great trip. But I was also glad to get back home.

Will I do it again ... YES!

The wife and I find other ways to spend quality time together. Things that we both enjoy, whether it be a trip in the car, or just spending the day at the lake.

All is good!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Screw it. Don't feel guilty. Just enjoy the trip.
You said it best! :agree:

Or........You could say, I got a new bike for my wife, boy am I going to miss her!:yes1:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Not quite the same, but we enjoy taking trips with another couple, who do not ride. We have trailered a bike on trips with them, but are going to try something different. They are buying a convertible Camero. Wife and I will ride the bike, they will be in the car. Maybe your wife would like to follow you in a Miata or some other "fun" car.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Let her follow you in the car......
I was thinking along the same lines. I needed some work on my bike last winter and had to leave it overnight at the dealer's (150 miles away). She followed me in her cage and just wore her Nolan helmet with the bluetooth unit it in and we could talk along the whole trip, only limit was she had to be around 1/4 mile or less behind me. With the bluetooth technology out there you could do it on cell phones too then both are happy just using more gas and vehicle maintenance.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Guess you could say I am one of the lucky ones. If I took a trip by myself I would catch H*** when I got home for not taking her with. She loves to travel on the back of the bike and she could care less how far it is.

One thing I have found out tho is to pick a place I know she would like to go to and include that in the trip. Makes her want to go just as much if not more than me.

My suggestions are

Take 3 - 4 weeks (depending on how much vacation time you get) and split it in half. Half is for a motorcycle trip and the other half is together in the cage.

Trailer the bike on your trips and when you get there then ride the local area together.

Ride to the destination and have her fly there to meet you and spend the time together.

or you could divorce her and marry some young chicky that likes to ride and then die of a heart attack trying to keep up to her. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
In the same boat
Altough I did get her to go on a short 3 day ride recently (max travel was 200 KM and 4 ferry rides) which she enjoyed But long hauls forget it!!
She lets me go with my buds whenever I want.. I use spot to let her know where I am all the time and she does make up for it when I get home!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
833 Posts
My ex was like that. My new wife loves travelling on the bike. The only limitation is her back and I will take 4 wheels sometimes to accomadate her.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I solved this problem by getting my wife her own ride. We tried an 800 cc Intruder but she never got comfortable on it. The bottom line was a bike was not going to work for her. We dumped the Intruder and got her a Can Am. She likes her new trike. The thing draws attention everywhere we go and she likes that as well.

So, now I ride my Wing and she rides her Can Am. It is working great we both get to participate. The only disadvantage is that she is not as aggressive as I like to be when I'm riding. I'm learning to live with that and ride at her pace (that means I follow her normally).

·
Registered
419 Posts
We had a lot the same situation as you are going through. We took some nice trips, but, the last couple of years my wife started burning out on the longer rides. Our time together was more important than the ride, so, last fall I sold the bike and we now have a Mustang GT Convertible and all is well. Sometimes we have tough decisions to make and we do what we need to do. I was also fighting carpal tunnel when we rode and that has also cleared up. Sometimes it's just meant to be. . . . .

1 - 20 of 67 Posts