GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just requested a quote from a local dealer to trade for a new trike. He has on the floor a 2010 Yellow. I have a yellow now and trading for that one would eliminate having to paint my trailer and repurchase all the color matched trinkets.
But a few years ago, a friend bought a 2 year old goldwing and trailer, had it chromed out and paid about $26,000 for it. As misfortune would have it, he was involved in an accident that he was fortunate to survive, less that 1 month later.
He told me the insurance company took 2 years "depreciation" off the value of the bike. He says he lost about $9000.
I know it's something that may or may not happen, and something may entice me to quit riding soon and then I'm left with a "2 year old" trike.
Being that the dealer would have to build the trike, I gave him my "must have " list and told him to quote me a price on the 2010 yellow and a 2012 Blue.
I'm not positve, but the 2010 will have to be significantly less or I'm going Blue.

What's your Opinion ?????????????????

I know....I know........Riding a yellow one is a heady responsibility. Everyone knows you are a man among men, a pillar of the community, they are faster that any other color, and a person of discriminating taste.

But I'm thinking I can live with Blue.............

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Interesting situation. I'm planning on going to a trike in a couple of years myself and am very curious as to the difference in price between a "new" 2 year old and a current model. I hope you post the price differences and knowing that what you want on it will be different from what I would want on one but the differences shouldn't be that far off. Hard decision for sure good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
168 Posts
With Progressive Insurance you have the option of getting "replacement" value on bikes purchased "New" as long as they are not over 3 years old.

Then if wrecked and totaled there will be no depreciation at all. You will get enough to replace it with a Brand New bike. If wrecked and not totaled you will get brand new replacement parts.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After some discussion with State Farm, I feel confident that I will be fully covered. My agent told me to have the dealer "itemize" each accessory and it's cost, and list them as "owner Installed' and everything should be OK.

I checked with Hagarty who I have my Corvette and 57 Chevy insured for "Agreed Value". That's a doable thing , but they have mileage restriction, and inside storage when not being driven.

I'm going with State Farm at a lower rate and hope I never have a claim.

So, the leftover 2010 yellow will be paid for tomorrow, should be at the dealers in 3-4 weeks and I'll be riding it in 5.

·
Registered
581 Posts
When buying a new no mile 2 year old vehicle, as soon as you buy it it is a two year old used vehicle.
Purchase accordingly.
FYI, there is a product that is availble on auto loans. It is called gap insurance.
Say you owe 20000 on 13000 unit it pays the difference. State Farm doesnt offer it.
Alot companies do and I think most dealers ships offer it as well. It is appropriate on loans with no money down, long term, leases .
I would also ask my agent for new bike replacement policy or se what they offer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
State Farm Bank offers that coverage with their vehicle loans!!:yes1:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
1. The bike part is 2 years old, new or not, and should be priced accordingly. Was it?
2. The trike conversion is new and should be priced as new w/some discount. Hope you didn't pay MSRP for it!
3. The conversion is considered an accessory both by most insurance companies and by the Indiana BMV.
A.You pay excise tax only on the cost of the bike-not the total cost of the trike. Did the dealer do the paperwork that way?
B. Make sure you have an itemized list of every accessory and pictures of the completed trike. Give a copy of these to your agent.
4. Gap Insurance! Why would anyone in their right mind borrow 20,000 on something worth only 13,000:22yikes: What institution would loan that much more on a vehicle than it's worth:?:

I still don't believe I doubled the worth of my Wing by adding the conversion and my Insurance never increased, not even a dollar. I questioned my agent several times and was on a conference call w/the home office about this.
I was told about the itemized list and the pictures and the conversion was considered an accessory and the trike would be covered for the amount of the itemized list if a total loss was suffered:shrug:
I know there are companies that have limits on the amount of accessories covered so, check with your agents!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just requested a quote from a local dealer to trade for a new trike. He has on the floor a 2010 Yellow. I have a yellow now and trading for that one would eliminate having to paint my trailer and repurchase all the color matched trinkets.
But a few years ago, a friend bought a 2 year old goldwing and trailer, had it chromed out and paid about $26,000 for it. As misfortune would have it, he was involved in an accident that he was fortunate to survive, less that 1 month later.
He told me the insurance company took 2 years "depreciation" off the value of the bike. He says he lost about $9000.
I know it's something that may or may not happen, and something may entice me to quit riding soon and then I'm left with a "2 year old" trike.
Being that the dealer would have to build the trike, I gave him my "must have " list and told him to quote me a price on the 2010 yellow and a 2012 Blue.
I'm not positve, but the 2010 will have to be significantly less or I'm going Blue.

What's your Opinion ?????????????????

I know....I know........Riding a yellow one is a heady responsibility. Everyone knows you are a man among men, a pillar of the community, they are faster that any other color, and a person of discriminating taste.

But I'm thinking I can live with Blue.............

I was in the same boat, I wanted a yellow abs and the cheapest 2010 I could find was I believe $21,500, and the 2012 abs is $23,400. I decided to get the 2012 and have it painted yellow when I trike it, unless the red grows on me.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Over here the dealers are awash with "brand new" GL1800s that are 2007-2009 models. Honda are heavily discounting them and we can't even get a sniff of a 2012 model until they get rid of more old stock.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
After some discussion with State Farm, I feel confident that I will be fully covered. My agent told me to have the dealer "itemize" each accessory and it's cost, and list them as "owner Installed' and everything should be OK.

I checked with Hagarty who I have my Corvette and 57 Chevy insured for "Agreed Value". That's a doable thing , but they have mileage restriction, and inside storage when not being driven.

I'm going with State Farm at a lower rate and hope I never have a claim.

So, the leftover 2010 yellow will be paid for tomorrow, should be at the dealers in 3-4 weeks and I'll be riding it in 5.
My 1966 GTO has no mileage restrictions, agreed value, towing and it is Hagarty and it is 1/2 of state farm rate, you need an updated quote.

They just wont call the wing a classic quite yet darn...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Interesting point on the insurance. See if your agent can get you something acceptable.

The 2010s are the last of the "Made in America" if that counts for anything.

FWIW, in 1985 I bought a left over new 1981 CB750K for $1800.1985 models were going for around $3300. I kept that bike for 17 years, it was definitely a good deal for me.

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts