GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to introduce myself to the 2018 forum. I just purchased a DCT Tour in white (the blue sold before I got there) and hope it’s as nice as my two previous ‘Wings which were a ‘93 and an ‘08. The DCT is really something and now if only I could get Apple CarPlay to work.

I’ve heard from many that the new seat can be a bit uncomfortable so look for any input there and, of course, the methods you use to get it to connect.

This is a great resource and I look forward to a lot of great questions and answers.

Cheers,

WR903 aka Leo

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

Sequencing is the key:
- start the bike and let the system get powered up
- turn on the blue tooth helmet and let it connect
- plug in the iPhone and it will recognize CarPlay

At gas up, I leave bike on accessory so as not to break any of the connections and thus not have to re-do the above.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My process for getting CarPlay to work is...

- start bike and let it get up and running
- activate the Sena 20S headset and the bike will beep and announce that the phone/media is connected
- wait for another beep because if I don't the bike reports that CarPlay can't start due to a disconnected headset
- once I have the second beep, I plug the USB cable into the iPhone 8+ and CarPlay will startup
- click the "D" and off I go on another adventure

I have noticed in my case that if I haven't turned off the Bluetooth setting in the iPhone, the bike to phone connection will happen faster. But, then I will usually have some other issues arise. I can go into Settings and turn off the BT setting and everything will be fine. Typically, it works better for my situation if I turn off BT before I start any of the connection process, but it will take a few seconds longer for everything to connect. It is a tad quirky, but I have my procedure and it works every time. I do like using CarPlay for the music (my own and Pandora) and SiriusXM when I had it, the phone/texting, Waze, and the two map programs (Google and Apple Maps). I guess it's a good thing it doesn't sport NFL Redzone or Sunday Ticket :)

Anyway, that's what it takes for me and I have heard others report slightly different processes but basically the same thing.

As for the seat - there's many that will and have replaced it. There's many that swear by it. I swear at it.

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to learn, read, and talk about this amazing motorcycle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My apologies - I mistyped the year of my first ‘Wing as a 73 when, in fact, it was a ‘93. That would have been special (lol).

Big fingers on a small phone - Oops!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Make sure that in the Audio settings that Apple CarPlay is selected and not iPod. page 79 of owners manual. I use a Iphone and I can turn on my CycleGear bluetooth helmet, plug in my Iphone X, turn on the bike and 9 times out of ten CarPlay will connect. If it doesn't I just unplug the phone and plug it back in.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Welcome and Congratulations on the new bike. I hope you like it as much as I like mine.
Speaking of the seat....what I did was take mine down to an upholstery shop that works on motorcycle seats. They added padding to mine for $85.00 and I can at least ride it for an hour and a half between breaks. That seems good enough for me.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Welcome from the Sunshine state!

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Welcome from Tampa Bay-enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I rode the White Stallion down to College Station, Texas and Wingsoft. John added padding while I waited. It was a lot more than $85. It has been worth every dollar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apple CarPlay issues continue..,

Again with the issue with Apple CarPlay... I think the problem has to do with the inexpensive Sena 3 Bluetooth headset I currently have. None of the hints and tips have worked. Now, I’m getting a note saying ‘Can’t use CarPlay because there is no headset...’ however, the icons clearly show a headset connected. Has anyone seen this problem? I guess I’ll have to buy a better unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Again with the issue with Apple CarPlay... I think the problem has to do with the inexpensive Sena 3 Bluetooth headset I currently have. None of the hints and tips have worked. Now, I’m getting a note saying ‘Can’t use CarPlay because there is no headset...’ however, the icons clearly show a headset connected. Has anyone seen this problem? I guess I’ll have to buy a better unit.
unplug and replug the iPhone. I always have to wait for an extra beep in my headset before I can connect the iPhone. If I don't, I get the same message. I have a Sena 20S. I didn't think Sena had any inexpensive headsets :) I also have an iPhone8+ updated to iOS13.

I don't know if this will help, but here's what I go through... assuming Bluetooth has been turned "off" in the iPhone before starting the bike.

1. Start the bike and wait for the message about driving safely or whatever it says and punch the ok.
2. Turn on the headset.
3. Wait for the "beeps" and announcements (not always done), First is that the headset is connected, the second is either not announced or it might state "media connected", but there is a beep. At least in my case.
4. Plug in iPhone. ACP starts.
5. Hop on the bike and go adventuring...

Here's what happens if I happen to leave the Bluetooth setting "on"...

1. Start the bike and wait for the "ok" display
2. Turn on headset
3. The headset will be connected almost immediately, then the "media", then I wait for a third beep.
4. Connect the iPhone and ACP starts up.
5. See number 5 above.

You might think leaving the BT setting to the "on" state would be the better option. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. When I go through the process with the BT setting to "off", it might take a few seconds longer to get everything connected, but appears to be more reliable.

Disclaimer: This is what I have experienced. You will likely have a greater than zero chance of being decidedly different. Life is like that. Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts