GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have had trouble with the knuckle on my left index finger for a couple of weeks. Its diagnosed as a tendon issue. They started having me dip it in hot wax this week and it feels so good. I think its already better just from the wax.

My wife says they do it at the manicurist all the time. I have never heard of this before.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hal,

I had that treatment for a long time for my arthritis. Yes it did feel good and the warmth was very therapeutic. However the warm fuzzy feeling was short lived and had no lasting pain relief for me.

One can purchase the wax machines for home use.

We had to dip the hands in the hot wax, wrap the waxed hand in plastic and then place the hands in mitts to maintain the heat. After a period of time we removed the coverings, peeled the wax off the hands and threw away the wax for hygiene purposes.

I did about 2 dozen treatments and then stopped.

Glad that it is working for you!

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm doing the same thing at my OT office. The dip feels good. I dip both of my hands and wrist, wrap it in plactic bags, place between two wet heating pads top and bottem. After 15 min or so, to OT starts working on both wrists to get my flexability back. Right now I can only bend (up or down) my wrist about half way of what they are suppose to do. I hope I'llget back to 100% but they say I may not.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Try dipping in hot chocolate like a dip cone. I'm sure it'll feel good and you'll have your wife eating out of your hand.:biggrin:

Hope the treatment works.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
My father-in-law was diagnosed with juvenille arthritis when he was in his early 20's. He had the treatments for a few months at that time and has had a pretty productive life, all in all. He will be 79 on St. Patty's Day.
Hal I certainly hope that this very old treatment works as well for you as it did for him. All the best!

Don't you just hate the way our bodies start to reject us as we get older?

Shadow1

Hal

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
If that feels so good you may enjoy getting spanked too.:joke:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Try dipping in hot chocolate like a dip cone. I'm sure it'll feel good and you'll have your wife eating out of your hand.:biggrin:
That is not only funny but brilliant! :bow:

While the hot wax/chocolate does not offer any real permanent releif it is certainly an inexpensive and safe treatment to offer temoprary relief

Someday we may come up with appropriate medications for the relief of chronic pain of this type....however it is a difficult problem to solve...getting closer though.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I know that this may sound way off base to some, but, I'm just trying to help, as is mostly the intent of posters on this board.

Having read what medical journals have said about inflamation and its remedies, has anyone ever considered fish oil? That's right, fish oil has been proven, among other benefits, to be an excellent pain reducer when it comes to inflammation.

I have a few herniated discs and 2 compression-fracture vertabrae, and my knees are not what they used to be. I also take 6000mgs of Omega-3 rich, fish oil and Flax oil per day. I've also lost some considerable weight, which I'm sure helps in the relief.

Perhaps you might find it beneficial to you if you tried eating Omega-3 rich foods or supplements.

Please, bear in mind that I'm not a doctor. I'm an avid motorcyclist like the rest of you, just adding my own experience. The pain still lets me know it's still there, I still have the back problems that I mentioned above, and I have to be careful with any strenuous activity that I do around the house, but I believe that by taking the fish and Flax oil, it has made the pain related to inflammation subside considerably, so much so, that I now can ride my Wing comfortably, and do my walking excercise daily when it's warm outside.

Please consult your doctor before initiating any supplement regimen.

Mike

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
this is not just a cover for you wanting smooth hairless skin is it?:eek:4::tongue::tongue::joke:

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
I have had trouble with the knuckle on my left index finger for a couple of weeks. Its diagnosed as a tendon issue. They started having me dip it in hot wax this week and it feels so good. I think its already better just from the wax.

My wife says they do it at the manicurist all the time. I have never heard of this before.

When I finished High School I worked for a while as an orderly at the local hospital. I worked in the physiotherapy department where they treated a lot of folks with arthritis. They had a large tank filled with paraffin wax and people dipped various ailing parts of their bodies into the hot wax for a few minutes just as you have done. I'm now going on 63 years so this treatment for arthritis has been around for a while now.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hal, my wife has one of those wax things and I've used it several times. It really does help......when she's not looking put your feet in....man that's nice.

...and no, it does not take the hair off

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
my wife used to pay 5 bucks per hand at the beauty shop
.... then she got the heating "tank" and enough wax to fill it for
less than $75 ... off the internet somewhere.

After turning wrenches in the shop all day dipping my hands in the
melted hot wax FEELS GREAT!!
... you wait until it cools then peel it off and put it back in the melting
pot
... don't have to change all the wax until it gets too dirty for your personal preference ...

+ 1

Dennis

·
Love The DCT
12,153 Posts
It works great for temporarily relieving arthritic pain in the joints. Bought my S.O. one for xmas a couple of years ago. Supposedly touted as putting moisture back into dry hands and removing exfoliated skin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts