GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my story:
I used the 70 but experience the instability on the front end at high speed like some other Dinger do. At the same time, there are several 70 users that DO NOT experience any instability with the 70. I used to envy them, let me explain.

Because I have three rear rims, I recently ended up changing my 70 Avon Venom from one rim to another (you dont want to hear why). On this different rim, I DO NOT experience any instability at all with the 70. It was kind of weird because I had just about given up on the 180/70 (due to said above problem) in spite of the other traits I love about this tire.

Could it be that rear rims are not consistently well balanced, or round, or straight, or something; thus the reason why some do and some don't on the 70 experience?

Later, I added dyna bead just to keep up the mythology alive on the balancing little balls.

My take: The engine rides effortlessly in the synchronicity of this right diameter tire and gear ratio. It seems to shift smoother. Grip on the Avon Venom is superb. Clearance mucho better, less scraping of the bootsies and pegs. Speedo corrected. Ride softer (A 70 at 42psi rides more comfy than a 60 at 38psi)...unless you have short legs (because the bike is slightly higher and so is the center of gravity) and unless you need the extra touch of torque to hot-rod, it seems to me the 70 outperforms the 60.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Nando,

I to like the large diameter tires on my bike... The odometer does not show so many miles on it.

I ran two 60 series tire the year I bought it. Then started using the 70 series.

On my bike, in central NM , elevation around 5500 foot, top end was 131 on the GPS with 60 series and red line. and with the 70 series tire, only 126 on the GPS and not red lined LOL ..

The kick stand is pretty short for a 70 series tire so I welded a piece of 3/4 in square tube to the bottom on the kick stand and now it is just fine.

With the 60 series tire, I was always dragging pegs in the twisties, now it is rare with the 70 series tires.

I no longer run m/c tires, and use a large car tire now, a 195/65R16 which is just a shade larger than a 70 series m/c tire.

Nando, I never had any high speed instability with the 70 series on my bike, and I have two rims..

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Here is my story:
I used the 70 but experience the instability on the front end at high speed like some other Dinger do. At the same time, there are several 70 users that DO NOT experience any instability with the 70. I used to envy them, let me explain.

Because I have three rear rims, I recently ended up changing my 70 Avon Venom from one rim to another (you dont want to hear why). On this different rim, I DO NOT experience any instability at all with the 70. It was kind of weird because I had just about given up on the 180/70 (due to said above problem) in spite of the other traits I love about this tire.

Could it be that rear rims are not consistently well balanced, or round, or straight, or something; thus the reason why some do and some don't on the 70 experience?

Later, I added dyna bead just to keep up the mythology alive on the balancing little balls.

My take: The engine rides effortlessly in the synchronicity of this right diameter tire and gear ratio. It seems to shift smoother. Grip on the Avon Venom is superb. Clearance mucho better, less scraping of the bootsies and pegs. Speedo corrected. Ride softer (A 70 at 42psi rides more comfy than a 60 at 38psi)...unless you have short legs (because the bike is slightly higher and so is the center of gravity) and unless you need the extra touch of torque to hot-rod, it seems to me the 70 outperforms the 60.
Nando man you make my mouth water the way you describe the 70 :cool: i loved the 70 also but did not feel secure at high speed sweepers to me straight roads were no problem i think the 70 makes the rear to high even at 5 preload setting i dont know about the rim thing if the rim was that out of balance i think you would notice it in any rpm range perhaps.You say you have 3 rims lucky man why dont you try that 180/65/16 tyre it may be the perfect size and let us know

cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Nando's post about a new theory is a VERY OLD POST. Not all 70's are created equal and; well, ask Nando for an update. I am back on a 60 for now and very happy with the Cobras.

prs

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
Tried the 70 and it felt squirrley in the corners. Hard to describe but I did not like the feel. The 60s are not perfect but I like the feel better. My stock oem tire size was 4 mph high, while the 70s were very close to the correct MPH, so the 70s do correct the inaccuate speedometer. At least on my bike.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Laen,
Then, why did mine stop being squirrly with the 70? It had to be the rim. I do have the forks set up at 3mm--tried flush ala Honda and 10mm ala Max. I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Laen and Goldwing fan, if you have an extra rim give a 70 another try.

Goldwing fan,
I think the 180/65 might be a great fit. But to be honest with you, I fear the Dunlpop brand on motto tires. The 250 and the E-3 have too many bad reports in my ear...and the 180/65, Dunlop 407 is a bias...not sure how a bias would perform on the rear. I get that bias do not do very well in the front in spite of the fact some darksiders claim they do.

My 'squireliness' happened going straight at high speed. The front felt light, too light. If you 'squirrel' around a high speed sweeper it could have been the psi is too low.

Pigeon, the recent change on handling with the 70 is definitely not related to the tire brand. I had instabilities with all of them up this point--when I changed rims. I know we both agree the Venom 70 is the way to go.

I need info on the Cobra 70!! anyone!!

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Could it be that rear rims are not ... round, or straight, or something
I've had the same suspicion for awhile now.

My 07 wing NEVER had a wobble.
My 06 wing always had a wobble.

When the CT on my 07 was just a little too thin
for last years cross county I took it off the 07 and put it
on the 06 (the turbo bike).
The 06 stopped wobbling.

I put a new car tire on the rim from the 06 and
installed it on the 07
(same dunny as before)
and now I have a wobble on the 07.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there you have it...

No one has noted that manufacturing flaws on the wheels may be a factor on the wobbling--or other of the malignancies associated with handling. I have heard of people whose rear tire cups, rear tires making the wobble and bikes that pull to the left when you let go of the handle bars, rear break shuddering...not to mention the falling-apart tires blamed on the tire manufacturers...could it be wheels?

...the wonderful world of modern manufacturing specifications is under my suspicion once again...

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
Nando good points. And I do think the front. back or both rims may be suspect in some cases

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Laen,

My 'squireliness' happened going straight at high speed. The front felt light, too light.
I had this problem when I first set my loaded fork sag to 1.25". Did not feel that way at 1.75" That was when I dropped the forks 10mm and it fixed it. I still had the 60 on at the time. I have a 70 now and am not too confident of it in the corners, but it is an E3. May just be me though.

I've tried pressures as high as 41/41 and down to 32/36. Settled on 32/38 and it feels as good as it has. Still debating my next set, leaning toward Stone front and 70 Cobra.

Feels fine in the straits though, and I go over grooved pavement and face high gusty winds often.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fazer,
I can tell you with confidence that the 850 Stone (70) is going to ride great for the the first 5k miles...after that, there are many negative reports.

Someone from Saunders' board told me the Excedra 70 was a great tire.

I dont know anything about the Cobra or the Exedra (on the 70), but the Avon Venom is pretty solid on grip. Pigeon turned me on to the fact that the Venom have stronger walls (harder), which may account for influence on the stability issue while using 70 size.

If anyone knows riders who have used the Cobra 70 we would appreciate a little sharing...

I call it 709 front hands down...tried the Cobra front and returned it soon afterwards...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts