GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I had plans this weekend to make a quick dash half-way across the country to deliver some household goods to a friend of ours. These items have been taking up space in my garage for several years, but certainly didn't want to just dispose of this stuff. It won't fit into my trailer, nor would it survive the jostling around in the trailer even if it did, so the sedan was going to be used for this trip.

On short notice, due to continuing covid concerns, that trip was postponed for a second time. Ugh.

Plan B was whipped up on the back of a used napkin in about 20 minutes. 馃槂 "Plan the drive, then drive the plan" - or something like that.

Pros: Nice get-away, even if only for a few days to enjoy temperatures 15 degrees cooler than it was at home.

Cons: Driving along a couple of northern Arizona's best motorcycle roads in a cage sucked! That was my wife's comment; mine was a bit coarser, but precisely the same sentiment.

There may well be a re-do of this get-away as things start to cool off later this year.

Registered
Lodging problems?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Perhaps a bit of qualifier for this Q & A...

Lodging problems?
Nope, not at all.

The reason why the original destination & purpose of the trip was postponed?

Our friend, dealing with a minor health issue, totally unrelated to covid, really didn't want to share it.

Getting reservations at the destination was easy-peasey. In fact, I'd made no reservations for the trip there, and hadn't decided on what to do with the return leg of the trip.

Registered
Yeah, I might have a similar question mark hanging over my head like a guillotine blade.

In a few weeks, I'll be attending a family get-together in the upper midwest and planning on taking the scooter and trailer. I might have to ditch the scooter in lieu of my cage, as it is still tornado season back that way. The wind doesn't really both me all that much, as I can see the storm LONG before riding through it. Plus, having the weather band radio on the console helps quite a bit.

It's the HAIL which gives me pause. Did that once 10 years ago here in Rim country on my way to Show Low. Hail definitely hurts and while the rain was beyond torrential, and the wind brutal, it was the hail which had me gauging my sanity. I didn't know there was a tornado warning between Payson and Show Low until hours afterwards...

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

- David

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Plus, having the weather band radio on the console helps quite a bit.<...>
...IF you have an inkling of the region around you - county names, and so forth.

I've mentioned this more than once - first trip into Montana a decade ago...dark clouds on the horizon, rain starts to pick up. As in 'the days before common cell phone use' days ago... :LOL:

I get lucky and find an underpass off the freeway to hide under while the storm blew thru. A group of locals brought their vehicles to get protected from the hail that was forecast to come thru the area.

I'm listening to the weather band radio - but had zero information on the counties or even the communities they were talking about with the severe thunderstorm warning that was broadcast. Recall, I ain't from around there... ;)

about an hour later, storm had passed to the east, we were headed west, and the rest of that day's ride was uneventful.

So, yeah, having the WB radio is a good thing, but it can also be nearly useless, depending on your familiarity of where you are at.

Registered
Weather radar app on the phone is your friend. Saw the massive amount of red and purple hanging around Tucumcari (wing weather radar is worthless) as I was returning from Arkansas last year. That was supposed to be my overnight. As I was approaching Amarillo I heard truckers on the CB discussing the tornadoes reported out there. Amarillo then became my overnight stop. 2 hours later front desk calls to say get down to the lobby and don鈥檛 use the elevator! Luckily, that tornado past just to the northwest of the hotel.

Wing was parked under the canopy (Hampton)...and many cars were attempting to get under it trying to get out of the hail!

Oh, and 2 months later wife and I rode east and spent 2 of the 14 days holed up avoiding tornadoes! Certainly wasn鈥檛 a boring couple of rides!

Registered
Oh, and 2 months later wife and I rode east and spent 2 of the 14 days holed up avoiding tornadoes! Certainly wasn鈥檛 a boring couple of rides!
Jim, that's when you look at your wife and say, Are we having fun yet! Make sure you're far enough away from her so you can dodge whatever she throws at you. Thats what I would say to my good riding buddy when we ran into major storms or bike problems and his only response was 馃枙

Registered
Jim, that's when you look at your wife and say, Are we having fun yet! Make sure you're far enough away from her so you can dodge whatever she throws at you. Thats what I would say to my good riding buddy when we ran into major storms or bike problems and his only response was
Your friend has wisdom!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
<...>Oh, and 2 months later wife and I rode east and spent 2 of the 14 days holed up avoiding tornadoes! Certainly wasn鈥檛 a boring couple of rides!
Jim, that's when you look at your wife and say, Are we having fun yet! Make sure you're far enough away from her so you can dodge whatever she throws at you.
Naaah...

I don't have access to it, but the moment I said something like what Paul mentioned above to my wife when we were on one of those type of rides, I managed to get a photo of her. At the time, we were huddling under a canopy as we could hear the tornado warning sirens in the distance. Again, same situation, weather radio says stuff is going on, but we had zero idea where it was at.

I lived in tornado country as a kid for a period of time, so I knew the drill. My wife, OTOH, really hadn't been around that type of stuff. On the way home, we went thru a couple of areas in northern Alabama that had taken some pretty severe damage just a few days earlier. She'd never experienced anything like that...

So, yeah, "Are we having fun yet?" is all dependent, isn't it? :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
A morning of handlebar therapy...and to check out a couple of things:

-- Work is progressing nicely along US-60 at Pinto Creek. Gonna be nice when they get that done.

-- Meant to do a single lap of Salt River Canyon, but when I got onto the bridge, I saw the sign that announced the (continued) closure of Fort Apache tribal lands. I got to the top of the northern rim and made an instant decision... Would there be fuel at the junction of US-60 & AZ-73? Only one way to find out...and I contributed about $13 to the local economy when I filled the bike up!

Thus, my plans for a jaunt along US-191 are still on hold for now - probably now need to wait until late August or early September.

A nice 340-odd mile morning/early-afternoon, though.

Registered
FWIW...As of 3 weeks ago, gas stops along Hwy 89 through the Navajo Nation were open. No problems getting through there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Thus, my plans for a jaunt along US-191 are still on hold for now - probably now need to wait until late August or early September.
There's not a lot of August left, now is there? :confused:

Health-wise, things are improving - both here at the home front, as well as what's been happening in Northern AZ.

Even though the weather is terrific up that way, I'm not a big fan of running thru there much beyond the start of 'the rut'.

Not only do you have to be concerned with the four hooved critters, but also those with four wheels chasing after those critters.

Ugh.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
There may well be a re-do of this get-away as things start to cool off later this year.
It happened beginning of the week. Driving up I-17 while watching everyone rush back into the valley... :ROFLMAO:

We did the touristy, retiree trip to Cottonwood to ride the Verde Canyon train.

Fun!

Registered
On Sunday afternoons that 鈥渞ush鈥 back to the valley turns into a crawl. Then, somebody does something stupid on the descent into Black Canyon City and you鈥檒l wish you had taken the bathroom break at Sunset Point!

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Monday was the northbound trip...y'know, holiday weekend and all. Plenty of 'stoopid' on display that day.

Wednesday was perfect! Everyone must have been working...at home. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts