GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back there was a gentleman on a different brand of motorcycle at a local gas station he was asking about hotels in the area and stated his scoot was having some problems in the rain, there was a bad storm headed in and I asked him if he would like to come up to my home and look at his bike in my dry shop he readily accepted and away we went. After we got his air cleaner dried out and the bike was back to running properly he said he was going to head to Abilene and get a hotel, Instead I offered to let him stay in our camper and then he could head out in the morning to his destination In Colorado. That got me to thinking what a great way to meet new people and help save some people money to boot, so here is my idea, if there is anyone that will be traveling through Kansas and would like to stay in our camper, it sleeps 4 or 5 real comfortably I invite you to send me a PM I will set the camper up, cook up some grub and hopefully meet some great people in the process. Total cost to participants $0.00 zilch, nada, I own about 5 acres just outside of Chapman Kansas less than one mile off of I 70 so If someone would like a place to stay, relax, work on your bike or whatever. Also if you have your own camp setup we could accommodate that as well, hope some of you take me up on this offer as I would love to meet some of you characters, and give back to a forum that I have truly loved to read over the past year. :thumbup:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Very nice...:bow:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I've never been to Kansas before, but offers like this might get me to make the trip. Hopefully he's added you to his Christmas card list!

Thanks for the offer! Amazing how the only thing it seems you had in common was a love for motorcycles, and you offered all you had to give.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That is a nice offer. Do you make it to many K-State football games? Do you know any animal docs in Washington ks.? I have a good friend that has some family friends named gorman.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I've met gomanjeremy and he's a straight up guy. His only problem is he lives on a gravel road. Actually very short distance and the road isn't loose gravel and being Kansas it's pretty straight. If I can make it down the road on my wing anybody can.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
What a cool offer. You just gotta be very nice folks....

·
Registered
624 Posts
gormanjeremy,

That is a great idea and a generous offer. The world needs more like you, willing to give, instead of trying to see how much can they get! :thumbup::bow:

Ride Safe and God Bless.

Mike

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I just called the in-laws, out-laws, kids, grand-kids, and a couple of old college-friends.

I'll have to rent a 30 passenger bus, but it sounds like a cheap vacation.

See you soon! :joke:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you dwatc I should have warned everyone I do live on a gravel-dirt super hard packed and not much gravel, road it is less than 1/4 mile from hardball to my driveway which is also paved. Hope this does not scare anyone off. Jeremy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
We were pretty close to you the July 1st on our trip to the Rockies! We went I-40 W, then up through Tulsa and hit I-35 north to Salina and turned left on I-70. (I see you are east of Salina). We spend our first night in Hays, Kansas. We needed to make the ride over 1,000 miles so it would qualify for our first IBA. That would have been great to stay for free and meet someone new...as long as you arent an axe murderer that is.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Great idea. Last fall my wife and I looked at a log cabin with smaller log cabin next to a log garage. I really wanted the place but she wasn't so hot on it. We had ridden the wing to check it out. All I could think of the whole time there was setting up the garage to work on GW's and inviting folks to stay in the MIL cabin and complete various maintenance projects on their bike while enjoying the great roads in the area. I envisioned either the wing owner helping with the project or purchasing another wing to rent out and completing work while they enjoyed riding in the area. Alas it was not to be. Who knows may look into it at retirement in 2013. Just hope I can find another place that has everything that one had to offer.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Jermey,
Thanks from all of us. I'm sure by now you know it's a not so novel idea. Heard of the 'Gold Book'? I know, not everyone is a member.

You have a good attitude and as a lot of Wingers that have room, will offer a place for other Wing travelers. I've had folks here from as far away as BC,Canada.

A couple of years ago while on a trip to Alaska, 'til we hit the Alaskan Hwy we stayed with Wingers all the way from Michigan. Gold Wing Riders are a great lot. If your pulling a camper and they have the space, your welcome in their yard, your usually welcome.
michigancamper.

These forums also has a listing of folks on the ready to help. You may want to join it also.
http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.html
Jeremy, Welcome to the Club! :thumbup:
thecruiser

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jermey,
Thanks from all of us. I'm sure by now you know it's a not so novel idea. Heard of the 'Gold Book'? I know, not everyone is a member.

You have a good attitude and as a lot of Wingers that have room, will offer a place for other Wing travelers. I've had folks here from as far away as BC,Canada.

A couple of years ago while on a trip to Alaska, 'til we hit the Alaskan Hwy we stayed with Wingers all the way from Michigan. Gold Wing Riders are a great lot. If your pulling a camper and they have the space, your welcome in their yard, your usually welcome.
michigancamper.

These forums also has a listing of folks on the ready to help. You may want to join it also.
http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.html
Jeremy, Welcome to the Club! :thumbup:
thecruiser
Thank you for this information I sent bartman a request to put me on the list I did not know that existed what a great group this is.:bow: It is wounderful to find out that there are so many others on the same page, I can only image how scary it must be to have problems hundred even thousands of miles from home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just called the in-laws, out-laws, kids, grand-kids, and a couple of old college-friends.

I'll have to rent a 30 passenger bus, but it sounds like a cheap vacation.

See you soon! :joke:
bring em on brother mike we may have to have hot dogs and beanie weinies to keep cost down but we will have a great time for sure. PS your responsible for keeping an eye on the out-laws!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is a nice offer. Do you make it to many K-State football games? Do you know any animal docs in Washington ks.? I have a good friend that has some family friends named gorman.
:cool:
No I dont make it to many of the games I used to when I was a student there but not so much anymore. I do not know the animal docs in Washington, although I love that small town they have some great people there It is by far my favorite Washington east of the rocky's.:thumbup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another forum ADVRiders.com has a Tent Space posting for just such a thing.
Here is the link to the forum section:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Then notice the Tent Space Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538543

And where to sign up:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585

These folks are doing basically the same as you do and this is a long list organized by State, City and contact info on the host.

I have used this service a few times and the hosts are always very accommodating and friendly to travelers. This is sort of like couch-surfing but with a tent.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Kansas

Jermey, what a nice offer, this might encourage us to come thru. Kansas on our way to north Dakota, If you need a place to stay in Central Texas give us a shout. God bless, Rick

1 - 20 of 31 Posts