GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy,
I've been running darkside, under the raydar, for a couple of years now, thanks to the info I've gotten from this forum. Shortly after I put the goodyear tripple tread on the back, I had to replace the front as well. I decided to go with the Bridgestone BT45. I haven't been disappointed with that decision. I've gotten about 22,000 miles out of it, but it's starting to wear and we're taking a little trip in Sept. I should replace it before we go. I've come accross a Metzeler tire that seems to be the right size. It's the Metzeler Marathon ML2 130/70 18. Does anyone know much about this tire? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
double DS

I dont know about that tire, but I tried Michelin Pilot ACTIV and did not like it, Love my Stone BT 45, stick with it , you wont be sorry
Andy

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sounds like your BT45 was good to you. Why not stick with it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was just the price thing. Most of the BT45's I saw were 95 to 100 bucks.. The Metz was 56. Call me cheap, but I took notice.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It just me, but price doesn't enter into a tire equation for me when running two wheels. Comfort and safety trump price, at least for me.

Hope you get some positive feedback on your tire before buying.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am currently running a bt-45 on the front of mine and am shopping for its replacement with over 70% of the tread left.
It is ok if you are only an interstate runner.

I find it to be Buzzy on the straights and it absolutley sucks on tar snakes when they are hot or wet.
You can feel the transition of the different compounds when running the twisites and sweepers.

JMHO
See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don't know about the front tires, but good choice on the Triple tred.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I put the BT45r on the front and I like it much better than the pirelli sport demon I had on.

Good luck

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I'll be different here, for $56 get it and let us know what you think!

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
<...BT-45...>I find it to be Buzzy on the straights and it absolutley sucks on tar snakes when they are hot or wet.
You can feel the transition of the different compounds when running the twisites and sweepers.
Interesting, as I can feel those types of tar snake issues with the 'traditional' G709 'Stone, yet they wear pretty respectable for me.

In central Calif, runnin' up in the Sierra...nan, oh, man, dunno what snot they were using...and I had on a just-broke-in front tire...but it was phenomenal how the back CT stuck like glue, but the front would pick up tar snakes like nobody's business. :shock: That was some evil-slick stuff.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hey guy,
I've been running darkside, under the raydar, for a couple of years now, thanks to the info I've gotten from this forum. Shortly after I put the goodyear tripple tread on the back, I had to replace the front as well. I decided to go with the Bridgestone BT45. I haven't been disappointed with that decision. I've gotten about 22,000 miles out of it, but it's starting to wear and we're taking a little trip in Sept. I should replace it before we go. I've come accross a Metzeler tire that seems to be the right size. It's the Metzeler Marathon ML2 130/70 18. Does anyone know much about this tire? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Be careful, I believe they stopped making the the ML2's yrs ago so you may be getting a stale tire.:shrug:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well thanks for all of your input, but I feel like I've come to my sences. I did get pretty good milage out of the BT45 so I think I'll stick with it.
Thanks again.

S

·
0 Posts
I introduced the BT45 some five years ago and that is all I have run since. My theory is if it works just stay with it.
So far my average has been 26k and I could probably stretch that to 28k or so. I run 36psi for the most part which really improves the smoothness of ride. Unlike the radials these tire don't heat up under normal pressure and can actual run on as little as 10psi without delaminating. Great thing if you pick up a nail along the way.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Well thanks for all of your input, but I feel like I've come to my sences. I did get pretty good milage out of the BT45 so I think I'll stick with it.
Thanks again.
Sound conclusion!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well guys... the UPS guy just dropped off the new BT45. Won't be able to get it mounted until Saturday, but the old one will do until then. I can't complain about the milage I've gotten, like some of you others. I'm closing in on 22k now. The reason for the change at this point is a trip to the BRP mid September. Can't wait!
Thanks again for all your thoughts

Boz

S

·
0 Posts
I am sure you will be pleased with the decision. You should also notice a smoother ride to boot. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
It was just the price thing. Most of the BT45's I saw were 95 to 100 bucks.. The Metz was 56. Call me cheap, but I took notice.
Okay, you're cheap. :roll:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Bt 45

Hey Paul,
dont be so shy, tell it like you see it:agree:
Andy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts