GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting ready to head for California in three or four days. The back tire on the Wing will have to be replaced, it only has maybe a thousand miles left on it, if that much. The front tire, however, looks to have three to five thousand left on it. Because we will probably put over six thouand this trip, I'm replacing both tires but I'll keep the front and have it remounted later. It would save, both in time and eventually money, it I had a spare front wheel. I already have a spare rear that I bought as a new trike take off for $125 two years ago.
Now to the question. Checking on line, I can get a new front for my 07 for $317. Because it already has a clear coat, I thought about maybe getting one for 2012 it there wasn't a large difference. Unfortunetly, they didn't list any 2012 parts. Just out of curiousity, I checked the pricing on a front wheel for a 2010 model and they only want $253. Does anyone know of any difference between an 07 and an 10 front wheel? I've already checked and all the bearings, spacer and dust seals are the same.
I can't see paying $64 more if its the same identical wheel.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
I have a 2010 wheel on my '03. The only difference is the hole for the valve stem is machined differently to accept the TPMS. A standard solid 90 degree bend stem works just fine. And yes, I save that same 50+ bucks.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2010 wheel on my '03. The only difference is the hole for the valve stem is machined differently to accept the TPMS. A standard solid 90 degree bend stem works just fine. And yes, I save that same 50+ bucks.
I figured accommadations for the TPMS sensor might be the only change, but better to ask someone how had tried one before ordering one. Thanks.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
That Murgie, is just one heck of a good guy!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anther question, Murgie, what valve stem are you using? I take that the standard curved 90 degree stem won't work.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The older wheel has a metal support tab cast in at the valve stem area for a plastic stem clip. This clip keeps the stock 90 degree rubber based stem from moving due to inertia and such. Look for a 90 degree stem with a retainer nut on the outside of the wheel when mounted. This will keep you from having to break down tire should the stem become loose. Check with your local Napa store. I use straight stems, but the picture shows the outside mount nut and the "T" shaped support tab for clip.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have had a 2010 front wheel on order from our sponsor for two months now and it is still on back order. I send an email once a month to make sure I still have a valid order placed. Eventually I hope to get one.

Randall

·
Registered
171 Posts
e » GL1800 Accessories » Wheel Accessory

These are the ones I use, work well for me.
Chrome Metal Valve Stem Fits GL1500, GL1800, Most Motorcycles

#pgroup_main_container { float: right; width: 920px; margin-left: -375px; }#pgroup_descrip_column { margin-left: 385px; }#pgroup_img_column { float: left; width: 375px; text-align: center; } Average rating of
(5 reviews)
.pbox { border: 1px solid rgb(153, 153, 204); padding: 3px; background: rgb(248, 248, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: border; -moz-background-origin: padding; -moz-background-inline-policy: continuous; }.pbox_titlebar { display: none; }.pbox_title { display: none; }.pbox_subtitle { display: none; }.pbox_attr_bar { }.pbox_attr_label { }.pbox_attr_box { }.pbox_specs_bar { }.pbox_itemno_label { }.pbox_itemno { border: 0px none ; background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 0%; font-weight: bold; width: 150px; -moz-background-clip: border; -moz-background-origin: padding; -moz-background-inline-policy: continuous; }.pbox_price { border: 0px none ; background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 0%; font-weight: bold; -moz-background-clip: border; -moz-background-origin: padding; -moz-background-inline-policy: continuous; color: rgb(255, 0, 0); }.pbox_qty_label { }.pbox_qty { }.pbox_add_btn { } Item #: WSCVS
Retail Price: $12.95

Your Price: $7.99 (You save: $4.96)

Qty: Login to Add to Wishlist
Proceed To Checkout »
Email to a Friend »

click for full size image

1 - 8 of 8 Posts