GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Dicepilots account of his mishap, I have decided to order riding pants from Hal. I have been looking at Mesh-Tex, but have a couple of questions.

1 Do you wear them over jeans or regular pants?
2 Do you order them one size larger so they fit over jeans or pants?
3 Is there a brand that allows putting them on over boots?
4 I am always ready to hear recommendations.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=3000&str=4&ID=828329733

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jan - these are similar to some of the riding pants that I wear and depending upon the weather and temperatures I expect to encounter, I will either wear some gym shorts or some good quality long underwear (Star-Fit from Wal-Mart that also sells in shorts and shirt too). Mine also have a waterproof liner that I can either keep zipped in or remove for additional comfort so they are really versatile.

DaleC

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I wear my First Gear Mesh overpants almost year round. I just put them on over skivvies or maybe gym shorts. I gave up on the rain liner, if I need rain or cold protection, I put on rain pants over the FG's and long johns underneath. They have zipper legs so you can get them on and off over boots. Those that are designated as overpants are designed so you buy your normal size and they will go over your jeans. They look baggy but mine are extremely comfortable to wear, I've walked around for hours in them while sightseeing on trips.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I just bought the Firstgear HT Air 2.0 Overpants last May.

Ballistic Mesh-Tex construction with abrasion resistant nylon panels
Waterproof/breathable Sheltex™ removable liner
Temperfoam™ knee armor, plus hip armor pockets
3 zippered pockets
Full-length, 2-way leg zippers for easy on/off (with boots on)
Powerstretch panels at knees for comfort
Adjustable side waist belts and reflective trim
1 year limited manufacturer's warranty

I ordered mine one size larger than normal (46 instead of 44) and they fit great for me (6' 5". 34" inseam 275lbs). I normally just wear my jeans under them, but shorts are a nice option for warmer weather. I just wish they came in some other color besides BLACK. It looks good but can really soak in the heat on those really HOT days!

It took about a month to get mine, I guess they are not a "Stock" item where I ordered them from. Excellent piece of safety equipment!

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
i had a pair of Firstgear HT air overpants, i don't think there the same pants as in your link

they were great and very comfortable, only problem is they were supposed to have a waterproof removable linner, the linner was not waterproof-not even for 15 miles, i contacted Firstgear and they said if u want waterproof they reccommend the firstgear HT overpants so they did an exchange at no charge to me, so now in hot weather i usually don't wear motorcycle pants, not a good idea i know

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Firstgear has a lot of variations of the product, Mine are the "Firstgear HT Air Overpants 2.0", I remember getting very confused while trying to figure out the differences between each very "Liked Named" models.... :?

Here is a sample of all the various models Chaparral offers on their website...

http://tinyurl.com/j45qp

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would recommend Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar Pants. www.motoport.com
I have only had mine for a few months but I think they are much better than the Firstgear HT Air Overpants that I had before.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Over pants

I second the Motoport suggestion. Extremely well made! I also bought the Kevlar Air mesh jacket. If I can't figure out how to post a picture, I can e-mail one on request.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have the HT overpants bought last winter -- and I hadn't even planned on buying overpants that day! long story...

I wear mine over the jeans. With the zippered sides, they're easy to get on and off even while wearing boots. First Gear says to buy the same size as your regular pants and they'll fit over them.

Didn't use them during the summer so can't comment on heat, but may start doing so now. Just used thick jeans as my protection before.

The liner makes a world of difference. I can ride when it's well below freezing now without my legs getting cold at all.

David M.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
All those pants and none in my size. Whats a big guy gonna do?
:cry:

Dep

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yes, we only wear pants when we ride. :D

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I just got my FirstgearHT Overpant II.......(not "Air" or for cooler weather type). I wanted some for winter. these are very nice, and fit well. I wear a 40/34, and ordered 40 long........they are just right. I will wear them over light pants......demin, but lightweight....I hate to be hot. That way I can take them off easily and be comfy when we stop. they have a nice zipper up the sides all the way to the waist and zippable from both ends. Nice knee and hip padding, zip out liner. Got a pair fo rthe wifey too. we'll try em out first thing in the morn at about 50 degrees or so on the Wingstock ride.
Nice...... for $162 or so.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I got the Olympic same as Bobby, and from the same place. Picked on them because of the zipper - unzips clear to the beltline. Really easy on and off, liner is waterproof when you wear it, wear just the overpants over a pair of shorts during the hot weather, and put on everything over a pair of jeans for cool riding, slip in a Gerbing liner if it gets cold. Get the same size as you wear for jeans on the loose side. And I got the silver - just cause it matches my silver First Gear Mesh tex jacket.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks Eagle eye. Yeah, a bit pricey, but considering the protection...not too bad.

Time to start hinting to the wife..LOL.

Thanks again,
Dep

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I agree with those that have the Motoport gear.

I have the Kevlar Street Jeans and just love them. They look and feel just like the best pair of jeans you own. They also offer tremendous protection and are not hot in the summer and do keep you warmer in colder weather. Don't know how but they just do.

I am going to order a pair of the mesh ones as well just to be able to wear shorts under them for destinations that are day long events.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had my First Gear pants over a year now and wear them every time I ride. They are bit warm over jeans in the summer, but considering the protection, it's no big deal. I've worn them in cold and in rain and have absolutely no complaints. I would buy another pair in a heartbeat. The pockets are very convenient and easy to get into.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
After reading Dicepilots account of his mishap, I have decided to order riding pants from Hal.
Why just Dicepilots wreck? There have been upteen wrecks posted to this board in the last couple of years (some with graphic photos), and now all of a sudden you decide you need some riding pants. How many crashes does it take until you order yourself some nice riding boots? :roll:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts