GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fibreglass trailer lid was closed tightly on a few camping items that were left inside resulting in two small protrusions in the lid. They are not very pronounced except when the sunlight catches them. Is there a DIY method of pressing these flat or is it a job for a professional? Any tips would be welcome.
Have a good Christmas everyone.

·
Registered
700 Posts
What you are describing is referred to as a "star crack" Technically what you have is fatigue in the gel coat outer surface. It is a crack (or multiple cracks) in the outer surface of the trailers fiberglass surface. You cannot "press" the surface and eliminate the cracks. The only method for removal is to grind the cracks out, fill will a gel coat material (cavasil) which is slightly different than that used during construction. Once the cracks are filled, then you would repair like any automotive finish repair with bondo or surface filler, sand, prime, sand, seal & finish and then color sand.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, I have a pal in the trade who may be able to help me out. The trailer must be looking her best for next Spring. Also Lewis is on the case regarding the UK spec plug and play trailer wiring.
See pic of my Watsonian D21 behind my previous bike.
Happy New Year

[/img]

·
Registered
442 Posts
Did something like that to my Corvette hood several years ago. Changed the oil and left the Oil cap sitting on the valve covers up side down. Well there is not much room under the hood, man did that cost me a bundle. Sorry I did not have dumb A** insurance because I sure felt like one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts