GL1800Riders Forums banner

When riding a cruiser on the twisties, I ...

• Keep my feet on the pegs like normal.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Put my HEALS up on the pegs.

• My heals never drag--the pegs touch first.

• You, sir, don't understand the concept of "cruising."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you put your feet when riding the twisties on your cruiser? I have never owned a cruiser and wonder if your heals drag before the pegs do. So, do you, or could you, ride fun back roads with your HEALS on the pegs?

I'm asking because I'm writing an article for my chapter news letter and recommending GL riders put the balls of their feet on the pegs for back road bashing. It just seems logical to me that cruiser riders would pick their heels up--but since I don't ride one, I thought I would check with you folks first. Plenty of VTX, Star and H-D riders here.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Vtx

When I had my VTX1300R (retro) It had full rider floorboards. They had a pivot pin mount. I would just put it into the curves til the bottom of the boards did drag! The "C" model had pegs so I'm not sure about that one . If I remember correctly, the "C" model was a forward control. JP

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The wife's 1300C is forward control, my 1300S had the floorboards as mentioned. I keep feet on pegs when I ride hers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I rode a relatives new VTX1300T from Petersbuerg WV to southern Ohio ( he had not ridden in 20+ years and wanted me to get it home for him). I keep my feet on the floor boards. Road through the twists on Rt 50. The only problem I had was when on top, the wind was Nasty( the big USA flag Flying was wipping in the wind and the wind generates were turning fast). It was a great ride, Plenty of power. If I was buying a cruiser the VTX would be it. Just put a Mustang seat on it, The stock seat is not much.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I had the 1300R with floor boards, pivoted ok when scraping. You might want to pose this question on the 1300 board, good friendly folks :yes1:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I just kept my feet on the pegs. The heels dragging was just an extra warning the I was close to the pegs. As I leaned over further I rolled my feet up to allow it to get to the pegs and then my feet were riding the tops of the pegs.
I say kept because I put boards on the C model vtx. This changed that bad habit for me :)

The X is still a fun ride and still in the stable. Although I did give it to my 16 year old son I get to ride it when I want .... which, honestly is not very often.

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Keep the feet on the pegs,and knee the tank just like a horse.

·
Registered
925 Posts
My 1300S has floorboards. When I hit the twisties, I tend to move my feet to the rear of the boards and hang my heals off the back. That way, I feel my heal touchdown first and have just a bit of a early warning before I start dragging the boards. It's more just a matter of getting used to it and knowing what works for you. I've been doing this for nearly 10 years now and am comfortable with it. When I get really aggressive, I have to pick the inside foot up a bit to allow the board to pivot up and not jam my foot in there.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
VTX Pegs Drag Too Easily

I had a 2004 VTX 1300C. The pegs drag when cornering worse than any bike I ever rode. I kept my feet positioned normally because when the ball of the foot is on the peg, the toes try to hang down, leaving them in a vulnerable position if the peg drags. Just my experience.

Happy trails!
2Wheeler

·
Registered
833 Posts
my 2003 vtx 1800 R

My vtx had the boards , it was a retro and at times those bords did drag the pavment and would rotate on the hinge of the mount... It will not happen again, on March 15 i went down hard, the bike is total scrap..i had 9 broken bones..but i am alive, Thank you God...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I currently have a 2002 VTX 1800 C and it scraped the boards all the time until I put Progressive Gold Wing fork springs in the front forks, amazing how 1" of additional fork travel made all of the difference, now I hardly ever scrape the boards. :thumbup:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I still have a 1300S, so it has floorboards.

I always put my heels on the floorboards and my toes on the pegs (twisties, boulevard, highway).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts