GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that the Wing Manual states the max load is 190kg, and I weigh 110Kgs, the missus around 85 Kgs, this means the bike is overloaded before we start. So the trunk and the panniers stay empty?

What sort of loads are you folk hauling about? I have been following the posts about the suspension issues and upgrades with interest, cracked frames, tire woes etc and wonder if the bikes are possibly being overloaded.

Any thoughts?

Trev.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello mate..(sorry) Mine IS OVERLOADED when on a trip !!! just about ALL are !!!!!!!! CHECK YOUR TIRES!!OFTEN!!! they (gl's) are VERY hard on tires!! Everthing else holds up well...but the tires scare me...chuck

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I am sure I'll get jumped for this but WTH.

IMHO if two people can sit comfortably you are not OL. So long as the bags are filled with normal travel items that should be OK too.

Those weight limits exclude all but the most petite couples.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
when on a trip fully packed, I run about 150lbs over the rated limit as do most whith no bad effects , just don't overload the tire rating.

·
Registered
661 Posts
gmk1800 said:
when on a trip fully packed, I run about 150lbs over the rated limit as do most whith no bad effects , just don't overload the tire rating.
I run over also. How do you know you not overloading the tires? Also, does anyone know how much of a safety factor is built into the tires and bike in ref to WT.?

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I weigh 175lbs.. my SO weighs 113lbs... don't think my bike is ever overloaded.. now my trailer will carry most of our other gear..

cosmic

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Auswing said:
Given that the Wing Manual states the max load is 190kg, and I weigh 110Kgs, the missus around 85 Kgs, this means the bike is overloaded before we start. So the trunk and the panniers stay empty?
Hmmmm, let's see if we can figure this out Trevor.... times 2.2 carry the 1 divide by...... hmmmm ...... (I wonder if they have pie in Austrailia?)... plus the square root of pie.... (the speed of light in Kph was... Oh yea that's it) Ahhhh... Ok got it!!!!

Shouldn't be a prob mate, by my calculations you and your wife only weigh 8 pounds, ya got plenty of room!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, it shouldn't be an issue.. Can't fit much in the bags anyway!! You should heed the weight limit on the trunk rack though, it can and will crack.. I normally keep a Kury bag on the rack with the raingear and other on the road essentials..

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I was shopping for motorcycles I found that salespeople become very uncomfortable when a buyer brings this up. I weigh 280 and my wife about 110. I think thats about the 1800's capacity right there. Anyway, the sales associates at the Honda and Harley dealers would rather discuss anything than that. I can't go out on a limb with reasoning for the weight limits but there are no motorcycles designed for me, a passenger and a weekend worth of provisions.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I weigh about 185 and my wife (this is just a guess) weighs about the same. When we travel long distances we tow our trailer and keep most of our stuff in the trailer. But we have taken weekenders where the bags and trunk are stuffed. I'm not concerned about overload, but as stated in an earlier post, it is important to check your tires frequently. When I can afford it I plan to upgrade the suspension, not because of a concern for overload, just looking for a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I weigh 175, and my wife weighs 125, so we're right at 300lbs total. Is it possible the reason that we don't experience wobble is that we don't weigh enough? :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Silverback said:
I weigh 175, and my wife weighs 125, so we're right at 300lbs total. Is it possible the reason that we don't experience wobble is that we don't weigh enough? :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trev.

I guess we can look forward to wobbling our way around Australia! :roll:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same problem. With the wife and I we put the bike over limit. We took many long trips with no problems. But being the safety kind of guy that I am, I got rid of the wife

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
a questio of weight

Sounds like a few "goldwingers" should perhaps hit the gym, rather than the D.Q.
Either that or they will be getting stopped at the weigh scales.
A male & female with a combined weight of 370lbs., or MORE!!!This is more than obese. (unless you are serious weight lifters or body builders). At his weight not only are your reflexes, but muscle movement are all compromised. Let alone the handling characteristics of the bike. Give your body a good helping of low cal., and exercise.
You will notice an improvement in both the bikes handling and your handling.
Before you critisize this comment,, I do not want to read about another motorcyclist meeting his fate too early. Often simply because the rider did not react quicly enough. Hence we are back at the problem of being overweight, (euphanism for fat), or loading the vehicle beyond its designed engineering limits. What ever the reason for the vehicle being overloaded both the rider and passenger can correct the vehicle from being overloaded by acting responsibly in the first place and not overloading it. The designers and engineers of the vehicle knew what they were saying when they clearly state the maximum safe operating weight of the vehicle.
By deliberately ignoring this fact you not only endanger yourselves but other users of the roadway.
No excuses, for this deliberate act of irresponsibility.
Remember you or your passenger not having a heart attack will definitely extend your riding enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I first saw the spec I thought that it was a misprint and went into a bit of a spin. The whole reason we have chosen a wing is primarily we are "big" people and the pics of folks loading them up give the impression that its capacity is far greater than the stated spec.

When it comes down to it, Honda appears to have built them for a "rider only" with some spare capacity for luggage. However the rear seat screams out "comfort" for the larger pillion passenger. (my wife loves it). These are big bikes with big seats and should be able to cater for big people.

Honda need to consider building the wing for a max load of around 300kgs on all suspension components and tire ratings etc, then it would truly be the greatest thing on two wheels.

Don't get me wrong here, I love them very much and will not ride anything else. (the wife won't let me!).

Trev.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree with pearlblue1800A and glad he said it before I did. 190 kg or 420 lbs is not too light a rating for such a bike. I might understand how two men could easily exceed that weight, but a man and a woman really need to be overweight (together) to exceed it. So they probably shouldn't be riding a GoldWing.
I'm sure those people wouldn't exceed the weight limits of a Boss Hoss though. :lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I ride with a couple that exceed the weight limit of the bike. Especially when they are packed for a trip! They run the suspension around 15 when they are loaded and don't bottom out.

The bike will not spontaneously combust if you go over a few or a hundred pounds (50-60kg?).

Most of the overloading comes from what people wear and take along with them in saddle bags, trunk and strapped on luggage. It adds up to quite a bit.

I would like to get some of those bikes on a truck scale and especially get the front and rear axle weights. (Weighing total vehicle and then just rear wheel would tell a lot. Front weight is a matter of subtraction. Some places charge per reading.)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still think 190kgs is borderline in the western world for two people. :?
I am slightly overweight, (20kg), but hey our footy players would average 110 - 120 kgs, try telling them they can't have a Wing because they are too "big".

Traxxion look like they have built a thriving business based on the Wings mediocre suspension ability.

Someone needs to build a bike that can carry a couple of sizeable people in comfort and it may as well be Honda. Skinny people should stay on the catwalks. :roll:

Trev.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Auswing,
You made a pretty good choice on the GL1800.

My wife and I add up to 365# + clothing. This gives us enough weight for two bags of clothing and one saddlebag of weather and First-Aid gear. The result of this is probably 415# tops.

We don't tow a trailer, as the three bags on the Wing are sufficient for any distance ride. This summer we road around the US (8000 miles) and had space to spare. This is mostly due to the use of Wickers polyester clothing ( little space, all kinds of benefits, including hand-washing).

It seems to me that you are within the safe weight zone, so ride long and hard, and have fun doing it.

As for Honda, they must be blind to not design a top load limit of the GL to carry the weight the US Wingers add to them, in great numbers.

Going to a Goldwing rally in the US is embarrassing due to the size of the folks that ride them. Hey, I gained too much weight a couple of years ago, but peeled it off so I could be a competent and physically fit rider. I've kept it off, and it makes a significant difference in the MC experience.

BTW, I agree with pearlblue1800A when he said:
Sounds like a few "goldwingers" should perhaps hit the gym, rather than the D.Q.

·
Registered
261 Posts
delibertly endangering myself and others on the roadway??? give me a break. so if i want to ride my wing and not confrom to some of your guidelines, personal or from honda, i shouldnt ride.? and if i ride im not being responsable in other words? ok brain surgons. what does a guy who you use to bet on on sunday morning football, that is 6'6 and 320 lbs do, cut a leg off? i just sold my r1200gs and never had a poblem, with the bike or stupid peoples attitudes. maybe progressive of truxxion can help me out so you all can feel better. remember some people cant just jog and loose weight, i'm big and strong from the get go, should us big guys put the little guys on a rack and streach them so they can reach the ground with both feet? yeah you didnt hit a nerve, your standing and jumping up and down on it..

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My wife and I over load the bike, I see people of our size or bigger riding all different bikes. That being said I am very careful about the tires, check them every day and when we drag our trailer I weigh the tongue and keep it at 35 lbs., and we never carry anything in the bags but rainsuits and her purse. (BTW We are on a diet, She has lost 20 lbs. and I have lost about 27 good incentive)I also have a lazer temp gun and I check the tires regularly immediately upon stopping and the highest we have seen is 160 degrees. I never ride at high speeds in extremely hot weather.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts