GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found that a bit of TIDE laundry liquid detergent and water does a very fast and thorough job of removing dried bugs from our body panels, headlamp lenses, and the F-4 windscreen. I had wetted a microfiber towel with water and about a half teaspoon of the TIDE. I worked the wet towel to evenly distribute the detergent and then cleaned an oily stain from my garage to house entry door. That worked great and I was intending to ring out the towel and put it in the laundry, but noiced the fromt of the Wing to be covered with dried bugs from last few rides. I tried the water and Tide soaked microfiber towel and DANG!, the bugs softened and wiped away very quickly and easily. Way faster and easier then my usual method with hydrogen peroxide. The TIDE I used it the "Free & Gentle" version (white jug) and the towel was "Auto Drive Multi-Purpose Microfiber Towels". I had never heard of this, but now have found one reference via Google about it. I am impressed.
prs

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Good tip! I've been doing the same with Windex and paper towel, especially on the windshield. Spray windshield with Windex and place paper towel on wet surface and spay with more Windex to soak the paper and let sit 5-10 minutes and wipe off. Very easy.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,052 Posts
Way faster and easier then my usual method with hydrogen peroxide.
Wow, easier than Peroxide? I buy Peroxide in bulk, it does take a while to soften up the big bugs though.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Tide Free & Gentle is a good choice, being fairly neutral in pH. Some other detergents are very alkaline, and will pit aluminum if left in contact, so choose carefully. Simple Green is another example of an alkaline detergent.

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,355 Posts
I use Dawn, I wet a standard rag add dawn then fold it and put it in a ziplock bag. I place the bag on the bottom of the right saddlebag in the front, this keeps it warm when I need it on the road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Damn. You all are wrecking my genius status. I've been using Peroxide for years! I'll give this a try, but it's one of those things you know is going to work.

And let the record show that there is no problem here with keeping things warm in my saddlebags. But I like the idea of protecting the 'loaded towel' on the bottom.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any of you who give this a try, report your result and opinion. Verification or refutation is a good thing.

prs

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I've been using a wet terry or microfiber towel for years to soften bugs remains on bikes and cars, You don't even have to use soap which can leave residue or corrode metals unless fully rinsed off. In love bug season I still use peroxide then wipe off surfaces with a wetted towel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FYI peroxide also does an excellent job of removing wax. So if you wax your bike you may want to reapply after using peroxide to remove bugs.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Wet towel left on the surface overnight will soften up the encrusted bugs. Just rinse off the next morning.

I use a repurposed ketchup bottle for clean water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Bouce Fabric Softener sheets. Just wet em down & wipe. They work great

·
Registered
910 Posts
I use just water and a microfiber cloth at the end of each ride, before the bugs have a chance to really dry. Then I spray Plexus and buff off.

·
Registered
8,410 Posts
Why not apply a coat of wax on the shield, and then bugs can't stick to it, and the rain water just beads off if caught in a rain storm....Easy Peesy!

Ronnie
6/26/22

Reactions: BrokenBackJack

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,453 Posts
I use...Original Bike Spirits...cleaner/wax spray. I just spray it on the windshield and fairing nose and let it sit for a few minutes then the bugs and road grime wipes off easily.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts