GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Texas and ride a 02 Goldwing. My lovely wife rides a HD Road Glide and as she keeps explaining, she had the bike before she met me…. ;)

This coming summer we are planning a trip to the North East. Typically, we would ride from Texas to New England. No sweat. Yet, this year, wife is short on vacation days and she cannot spend 4-6 days just to get there. So we came up with a plan: I’ll tow both bikes to Bufallo NY, she’ll fly to meet me there, and a week later - reverse. So here is where I need advice in planning:

1. Towing two bikes weighting ~ 1,800 lbs together, will I need a one axle or two axle trailer? Just in case of a flat, I do not want to lose both bikes….
  2. Can you rent a U-haul trailer one-way, return it during the week we’ll be riding, and re-rent it for the drive back? Will it make sense cost wise?
  3. Does anyone know a place where I can safely park a truck (and a trailer) for a week in the Buffalo area, still expecting to find them when I return? J
Thanks a bunch for your help.

…and yes, I know I’ll have to hide my face every time a fellow winger will pass and sees me trailering one.
Maybe I’ll wear a ski mask to hide the shame…… :doorag:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I rented a UHaul trailer for a one way from Nashville, TN to Dallas, TX a couple of months ago, had it rented for 4 days, I think it cost about $250.

That was their largest box trailer, so I imagine the MC trailer would be less.

I had a tire blow out, on the trailer, 40 miles from Texarkana. UHaul had a guy to me and the wheel replaced within an hour, that I was impressed with.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Yes U-Haul has open trailers that will haul two touring bikes. I'd recommend a dual axle trailer for safety reasons you expressed. Drop it off when you get to Buffalo but reserve it for the return trip. U-Haul trailers are very sturdy and well built. I rented a small open trailer this past weekend to help an Uncle move to a new house.

I think their 6 X 12 is the smallest size with two axles. A little larger than you need, but will handle the job easily. You could also get the 6 X 12 enclosed trailer and save yourself the embarrassment. ;) :lol:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Could always get the single rail trailer and tow the Harley with your wing.. I managed that with my 1986 Sei when one of the Blue knights Harleys died at Jacksonville fl. on his way down to Miami convention.. I borrowed a trailer from another Harley owner. road up to Jacksonville and towed him back to the convention so he could get it fixed locally and NOT miss the convention.. Granted that was only about 375 miles

·
Banned
792 Posts
Could always get the single rail trailer and tow the Harley with your wing.. I managed that with my 1986 Sei when one of the Blue knights Harleys died at Jacksonville fl. on his way down to Miami convention.. I borrowed a trailer from another Harley owner. road up to Jacksonville and towed him back to the convention so he could get it fixed locally and NOT miss the convention.. Granted that was only about 375 miles
Now that was a photo op. :thumbup:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I rented a UHaul trailer for a one way from Nashville, TN to Dallas, TX a couple of months ago, had it rented for 4 days, I think it cost about $250.

That was their largest box trailer, so I imagine the MC trailer would be less.

I had a tire blow out, on the trailer, 40 miles from Texarkana. UHaul had a guy to me and the wheel replaced within an hour, that I was impressed with.
There was a safety issue years ago with UHaul trailers raised by one of the large media organizations. Some organization (can't remember who) had done a detailed look at their trailers and found a lot of unsafe units that didn't meet even minimal safety standards, and some that were downright dangerous due to apparent lack of maintenance. As I remember, many had dry wheel bearings, some had bad tires, and several had frame cracks that could have caused accidents in the right circumstances.

In fairness, I don't know if the issues have been resolved since then; however, the moral of this post if there is one, is check out the trailer you are renting carefully before taking off with it. Remember, it's holding your precious Wing...

It's also only common sense...especially given the past situation with this company.

Also might be wise to check out what insurance coverage applies to this rented trailer. I know my personally owned Toy Carrier motorcycle trailer has to carry a separate policy ($55 annually) since the auto policy doesn't automatically cover a trailer of any kind (might just be my insurance company, but it would pay to check it out....)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would take some measurements to see what size you will need. I have a 7X14 dual axel enclosed trailer that I pull behind my RV. We carry two GL1800’s, one is a trike and the other is a two wheel. It is a tight fit, I have to angle one bike to be able to close the ramp door. Not sure what vehicle you will be towing the trailer with but with my Toyota Tundra I get around 11 MPG but that is running around 70 mph, just want to give you an idea on what to expect.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Take a look at renting a 2-axle trailer from a local dealer that sells enclosed cargo trailers....one that is properly equipped with front wheel chocks and good tie down areas. Also, I bet you could easily find a fenced storage facility that has outdoor space. You'd have to pay 1-month minimum but still pretty reasonable considering your chances of your rig being stolen or run into by someone is lower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
You can tow a GoldWing and a Harley on the same trailer - provided that you can find a big enough paper bag to put over the Harley.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
From a cost standpoint, you are basically renting two (2) ONE-WAY rentals, and that MAY be more that renting for a "local" rental, ONE TIME.
Check with the rental people for both scenarios, and it MAY save you some bucks to do a "local" rental (rent at home, tow it there and back).
And also, depending on what the rates are, some locations charge more if you're towing it one-way from point A to B or from point B to A since they may have more trailers in one location than the other.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
From a cost standpoint, you are basically renting two (2) ONE-WAY rentals, and that MAY be more that renting for a "local" rental, ONE TIME.
Check with the rental people for both scenarios, and it MAY save you some bucks to do a "local" rental (rent at home, tow it there and back).
And also, depending on what the rates are, some locations charge more if you're towing it one-way from point A to B or from point B to A since they may have more trailers in one location than the other.
I agree we rented one way it cost over 400 dollars. If we would of rented it at home, drug it up to our location empty and back would cost you about 15.00 a day. Also another way would be to just drive your wing, pick her up at airport and tell her to ride on the back and after return her to the airport. Problem solved. rrriiiiggghhhhtt.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Attach a trailer to the Goldwing, and put the Harley on the trailer....
You'll be assured to get where you're going

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Attach a trailer to the Goldwing, and put the Harley on the trailer....
You'll be assured to get where you're going
repeat of pst#4

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sorry, I did not see this post... I am redundant with my previous post

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My son-in-law rented a u-haul car trailer and I towed his Honda van from northeastern Massachusetts to Ann Arbor, Michigan. It was a LOT cheaper to do a round trip with the trailer and I towed an empty trailer back. (I hit the "twenty year" winter storm in Michigan). It may be less expensive and more enjoyable to pay for an air-line ticket for another experienced rider (maybe someone not too far from Logan Airport in Boston, MA;)) to ride the Harley to New England.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I know.... I know.... Still funny though...
Yes it is BUT in reality it does work. Plus it gave all the blue knights something to laugh about. And me bragging rights. Towing speed was only about 50 . the bike and the trailer weighed about 800 ponds. My SEi with me and him on it weighed in about 1250, But no over heating problems ad I left a WHOLE lot of room to stop

·
Registered
66 Posts
Couple things else to consider. If you get the 6x12 enclosed trailer, your tie down points will be the wood strip that is glued to the wall of the trailer. I would not trust his for my Gold Wing. Only bike I have hauled inside one of these was a bike that was already in pieces, and was a lot lighter than the Wing. But if you do rent one of these one way to Buffalo is roughly $380 from Plano.
You cannot rent the open top utility trailer with the ramp for one way rentals, but you can for local. I do not know what kind of tie downs they have inside or on the bottom of the trailer, but even if you have to tie onto the bar across the top of the trailer, that will be stronger than the glued strip of wood. To rent this trailer for 14 days from Plano, it will run you about $500.
Go play on the U-haul website and you will get a better idea.
On the insurance topic, do look into getting extra insurance for a trailer. Most auto insurance policies do not cover the trailer or contents of the trailer. I learned that the hard way....
Good luck with the trip!

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I have NO clue how heavy this guys Harley is,, but I will be picking up a SMALL Honda for Rail in Texas and towing it back to Wisconsin with my 2012 WING

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
16ft trailer that I used to haul GW to Montana 2 years ago. Plenty of room for another bike beside it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts