GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I purchased a new Kuhmo 195/55 16 RF and had it installed on my wing for a trip that I had planned out to Utah starting on the tenth of this month. I had several short trips (less than 50 miles) on the tire and was happy with its performance and looked forward to giving it a good workout in Utah. The Kuhmo had 33 psi in it and had been holding pressure with no problems noted.

I left as planned on the tenth for Utah and 659 miles into the trip (52 miles west of Amarillo) I began to notice a problem. The bike began to squirm at 75 mph. But I was trailing a semi and I thought that it might be some turbulence off of the truck so I passed him and the ride smoothed out until I pulled back in behind a car and again experienced some more squirming. Well maybe its the car or the road surface so I changed lanes and passed the car and the problem persisted. So now it's time to pull over and check it out. I exited I-40 at exit 18 and as soon as the bike slowed to less than about 20mph the squirming became pronounced and it was quite evident that the tire was flat.

No problem I will just find the offending nail and put a Dyna Plug in it and air up and be on my way. First I checked the air pressure. Zip. Then I laid down behind the bike and rotated the tire looking for the nail. Two times around and no luck. Other than the tire being hotter than Hades it looked good. The right side wall looked great. Then when I checked the left side I noticed a bulge in the side of the tire at the rim. Bummer.

Do you have any idea what kind of services that are available 52 miles West of Amarillo. No need to answer that was a rhetorical question. I called Progressive Ins. roadside assistance and they had a Landoll on the way. In the hour that it took the wrecker to arrive I called around Amarillo to find a shop that might still be open at 3:30pm on a Saturday that might have a GL tire. Luckily I found Brown Power Sports on the Canyon Frwy in Amarillo that had a couple of Bridgestones and a Dunlop. They agreed to stay open until I got there and change the tire for me. Great bunch of guys if you ever need help in Amarillo. Well I got there at about 6:03 and they installed a new Bridgestone and I was glad to be on my way again about 25 min later and 309 dollars lighter.

The guy that changed the tire out said the Kuhmo looked like the bead had not seated properly and that is what caused the problem. But I told him that it had been holding air for a month and that I had just driven 659 miles on it before the problem occurred. I have some pictures of the tire for you to see what you think.

I'm not soured on the darkside because if a MT had lost air at 70 I might have been a greasy spot in I-40 but with the RF I ran another 5 to 8 miles down the road while I tried to figure out what the problem was. But now I have two almost new Bridgestones that I need to wear out before thinking of another CT.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Looks like the bead was damaged when mounted to me!:eek:4:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Holy mangled up bead!!! :agree: Rocket :eek:4: thats more ugly than ?? , well you know :lol:

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
said had a bulge at rim before he took of

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was my first thought but I also thought that it could have been damaged when it was removed. But I'll pick another shop to do the next RF install. The BT 45 that I had mounted on the front did an excellent job. It was slightly buzzy on some road surfaces but stuck to the road really well and gave me great handling on wet and dry surfaces.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
We who ride on RF tires understand that, for whatever myriad reasons are possible, tires can fail. A loss of pressure at highway speeds can be survived!

Thanks for the story. Glad you're okay!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts