GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 4 quarts of Mobil One Racing 4T 10W40 at Advanced Auto and the quart jugs are in a "Black bottle" and on the back it has ( JASO MA, API SG, SH/CF ). I also found Mobile One Racing 4T 10W40 at Wal-Mart, but their's is in a Silver quart bottle and on the back of the "Silver bottle" it has ( JASO MA, API SJ, SH, SL, SM ). My question is, what is the difference in these oil's besides the color of bottle and the JASO ratings???

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Odd, but reading what you wrote, the silver bottle has a newer versin of the oil. API goes through the alphabet, as in SG, SH, SI, SJ, and so on. If they don't use all the designators please don't flame.
Anyway the silver has the SM designation, and that shows it is the most recent. The black bottle is all I have ever seen.
Other than that, :shrug:

Cheers

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Odd, but reading what you wrote, the silver bottle has a newer versin of the oil. API goes through the alphabet, as in SG, SH, SI, SJ, and so on. If they don't use all the designators please don't flame.
Anyway the silver has the SM designation, and that shows it is the most recent. The black bottle is all I have ever seen.
Other than that, :shrug:

Cheers
Yes I agree it's odd!!! Guess I will take the Black bottles back and keep the Silver bottles!!!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Since Wal-Mart is involved.......I wonder if they have a special packaging
deal with Mobil 1......The last time I bought Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart the label
on the front was marked "Recycle used oil at your local Wal-Mart tire and
lube express"......I don't think I would see that on Mobil oil I purchased
at Auto Zone.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yes I agree it's odd!!! Guess I will take the Black bottles back and keep the Silver bottles!!!

No real reason to do that. They will mix. SG,SJ and so on will overrate them. In other words, SM will work fine in SG or SI aplications.
I hope I said that where it is understandable.
No since really in wasting the effort unless it will keep you up at night. LOL

Cheers

·
Registered
234 Posts
Do either of the bottles have "Resource Conserving" on them?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Motor Oil Ratings

I just bought 4 quarts of Mobil One Racing 4T 10W40 at Advanced Auto and the quart jugs are in a "Black bottle" and on the back it has ( JASO MA, API SG, SH/CF ). I also found Mobile One Racing 4T 10W40 at Wal-Mart, but their's is in a Silver quart bottle and on the back of the "Silver bottle" it has ( JASO MA, API SJ, SH, SL, SM ). My question is, what is the difference in these oil's besides the color of bottle and the JASO ratings???

Your answer is here: http://www.upmpg.com/motor_oil_rate_gas.htm

Category SM (introduced in November 2004) oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil. Some SM oils may also meet the latest ILSAC specification and/or qualify as Energy Conserving. They may be used where API Service Category SJ and SL earlier categories are recommended.

Keep the "Silver Bottle", its the latest and greatest.

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/new/upload/1509techbull1complete.pdf

·
Registered
911 Posts
I made the switch to synthetic oil this summer...I purchased my Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil at Walmart and it was in a silver container...it said motorcycle oil on it and I remmber the 4T on it...

Scott

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oil ?

Howdy - Some where, I can't recall just where right now, I read you shouldn't use synthetic oil in the Wing because the paraffin builds up in the gears and can cause damage over extended time. Did anyone else read this? I believe the info was in the Honda service booklet. Now I must admit, things at my home are a little upside down latley with my wife and I both fighting cancer. However, I'm sure I read that some where. Best Wishes to all....Mike Dory

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Howdy - Some where, I can't recall just where right now, I read you shouldn't use synthetic oil in the Wing because the paraffin builds up in the gears and can cause damage over extended time. Did anyone else read this? I believe the info was in the Honda service booklet. Now I must admit, things at my home are a little upside down latley with my wife and I both fighting cancer. However, I'm sure I read that some where. Best Wishes to all....Mike Dory
Obviously my Wing did not get the message. Been using "Full Synthetic" oil for 86,520 miles with no issues. Believe I am good to go.........!!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Recently, like within the past two years, Mobil changed the bottle for the Racing 4T. The black bottle is the older version, still good stuff for your wing. I have both in my garage.

·
Love The DCT
12,095 Posts
Never heard that one before. Sounds like an old "wives tale." :doorag:

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
My wing did not get that message either, I have been using full synthetic since the first oil change and I have 115,000 miles on it and still running great :thumbup::thumbup::excited::excited::coffee1:

·
Registered
21,053 Posts
i think that thread was about gear oil not motor oil, i don't use synthetic gear oil and have no idea if it has a bad effect on gears

Mike good luck to you and your wife with the cancer stuff, sure lots of folks being affected by it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts