GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the net effect of installing the aluminum shims for risers? I'm happy with the width and I definitely don't want the bars any closer, I just want to raise them up. I feel like I'm riding a sport bike...so will these do the trick?

·
Registered
286 Posts
You must be very tall. I installed REG risers not to raise them but to get the bars closer to me so I could bend my elbows because I found myself locking them and they would get sore. Had to sacrifice some width. Wish I could get them lower and a tad closer too. the bars are the least comfortable part of the bike, even with the mod. The bars on my '86 Aspencade were perfect and soooo comfortable. Upper arm down, lower arm out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just installed risers on Saturday night and I am really happy with the feel of the new position. I am 6' 1" with very long arms. I was riding with my arms stretched forward before. although not locked, it became very uncomfortable after a few hours. I haven't had a chance to do any long distance rides with the risers installed yet but just riding to work this morning, I can tell you that the position of my arms is completely different, it feels completely natural and tight turns do not feel like I have to stretch to push the handlebars to full lock. I believe that by bringing the bars up that one inch does bring the handlebars in slightly, at least it feels that way to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 6'-2" with long arms and in addition am coming off a VTX, where I am very used to riding stretched out. The stock wing bars make me feel cramped. It's been difficult for me to get use to the upright riding position on the Wing in the first place.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am 6'6" tall and would like to know more about risers and how they can improve my riding experacne.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts