GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fifty-two years old. I was out riding with a friend who is one day shy of a year my junior. I was on my Wing and he was riding his HD Dresser. We happened upon two couples each out riding trikes at an intersection and waives were exchanged as we rolled by. I commented to him, "That'll be us in twenty years or so," with a laugh. He replied, "Probably sooner than that!" :eek:4:

·
Registered
634 Posts
beastie said:
You make riding a trike sound like a bad, or sad, thing...

It's great! :yes1:
:D

Yes, I suspect so. :D

You are fortunate!!

Hope to grow up to be much like you, Sir.

Folks like you give us hope for the future!!!

I don't think the orginal post was meant to be . .

as it could be taken.

May your good fortune continue for some time!! :D

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW! I never even considered that someone might think I was denigrating trikes, trike riding or trike riders. :eek: Believe me, that was the furthest thing from my mind. Let me apologize for any offense anyone may have taken to my post.

I have generally thought that I will get into riding a trike when I'm no longer comfortable with a two wheeler. I know it's not necessarily an "age thing" or a "health thing" with a lot of trike riders but, at this point, it is with me. Now, I'm still comfortable with just two wheels under me and prefer that to the feel of a trike (leans in the twisties and all). I've had seven knee surgeries and feel those more each and every year so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I no longer want to deal with a 900 pound two wheeler.

I'm actually looking forward to having a trike, too. I've bid on a couple at auction but wasn't successful. I'm thinking my next bike will probably be a Boss Hoss and from there probably a trike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Folks,

The key here is to be thankful for the the abilty to ride anything! My wife is no longer able to ride (two or three wheels) because of health, and the reason I logged on today was to post an add for our wing. We are in our early 50's and I expected that we were going to ride for many years. We only rode for two years and I did not appreciate what we had. We really miss it. Enjoy TODAY and be Thankful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I'm fifty-two years old. I was out riding with a friend who is one day shy of a year my junior. I was on my Wing and he was riding his HD Dresser. We happened upon two couples each out riding trikes at an intersection and waives were exchanged as we rolled by. I commented to him, "That'll be us in twenty years or so," with a laugh. He replied, "Probably sooner than that!" :eek:4:
I'm 72 and my Wing and I say HELL NO!! :twisted:

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I have tried to reply to this thread three times but it never sounds right...I am one of "those people" who triked for medical reasons...at 47 yrs old. and darnit I wanted to ride two-wheels so bad i just got a LITTLE 500!!! YES, I LOVE MY TRIKE and yes it is the greatest thing that ever happened to me, especially since I never thought would ride again...but it really is a different feeling, more like riding a four-wheeler/ATV. Some people do trike just for the fun of it, some for age and medical, but I wouldn't say there I am in twenty years about anything...I am just happy to be able to ride for today...there is a man with no legs riding a trike. and we will be seeing more as us baby boomers drop our bikes from arthritis, etc. By the way, I managed to drop the new Kawa the second day I had it! in my driveway, so at least no one saw it!! LOLOLOL...great little bike! smallest I ever rode! only broke the tip off the clutch lever, not even a scratch on the pipes! love that leaning...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Gary,

I take no offense to your post, what so ever....as that seems that some of the people who choose trikes do so because of age, medical or other reasons.

My decision was to accomodate my wife (a recent cancer survivor) who would never ride 2 up on a 2 wheeler, but loved the idea of a trike.

I traded in my Sabre, and here we are! I am considered to be a young trike rider, but I have found it to be an incredible partner experience.

Once you make the decision to move to 3 wheels (if you ever do) you will have as much fun as you allow yourself to have.

I think some younger trike riders are a little more sensitive about being classified as the older set.

Me, personally, I could give a flip, as long as my wife is having the time of her life, then I am as well!

Ride Safe!

Keith

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
goldwinghen3 said:
You guys are too funny I will never ride anything with less than 2 wheels !!!!
I think he knows exactly what he wrote and already "hooked" MesquiteBob. :wink:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Now, just MY opinion. Trikes for medical reasons or the inevitable effects of age is fine for others(to each his own). For myself if I could no longer support a bike on my own, I'd get a Miata or some other little convertable.

Just as much air in the face, better storage, a roof and a whole lot less likely to turn over in an emergency manuever.

NOMEX ON, FIRE AWAY!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I for one think Goldwing Trikes are awesome and in no way are less than a motorcycle. I would be proud to own one and eventually I probably will. They have more storage are probably safer and there are several models that look pretty impressive in my opinion. The bottom line is we ride period.

James

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
oops! said:
Now, just MY opinion. Trikes for medical reasons or the inevitable effects of age is fine for others(to each his own). For myself if I could no longer support a bike on my own, I'd get a Miata or some other little convertable.

Just as much air in the face, better storage, a roof and a whole lot less likely to turn over in an emergency manuever.

NOMEX ON, FIRE AWAY!
trike are not like little convertibles, as I have both and can tell you that a trike IS a motorcycle with a rear axel, and a convertible is a car without a roof.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would not have a problem with a trike, we have looked at several. I think if we had one my wife would ride it.
I grew up on the Honda atc 90 and 110. I loved them !! I still have an atc 185 in the shed.
I wonder if you could get the balloon tires for for a Gold wing trike??
I think I would ride a trike longer into the cold months due to the stability on unexpected ice and the sand and gravel that gathers at intersections. The added storage would be nice to put the coveralls in when it warms up for the ride home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts