GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with most people, the air shocks on my Escapade trailer LEAK AIR. It is frustrating, and even more so to discover that Progressive Suspension has CEASED making the shocks, and California Sidecar no longer sell them, or the repair kits for them.

So what do you do when you need your trailer for a tour? you go find a replacement, and that is exactly what I did.

It is a long story, but here is the Reader's Digest version:

I found the MONROE 58275 coil over shocks that fit the trailer very well. The problem was that the spring was too weak and it allowed the shocks to bottom out under a heavy load. so to fix THAT, I did a bit of 'Redneck Engineering' and created spacers for the springs, to pre-load them. The result is a set of spring shocks that support a heavy load, for the total cost of under $60.00 for the set!

You can catch the videos on Facebook, under my kentuckyrider identity. Here is a video of the final solution, and a video of the results.

Enjoy!

Joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had one to blow in Colorado springs 2008 on 4th day of 12 day trip. At that time I was able to get next day air from CSC. These shocks mount similar to a 1955 Chevy 210 rear. Just googled and Monroe makes Chevy fitment selling about 90 bucks. I don't know if they will fit. I will be researching.

·
Registered
59 Posts
gravedigger, somewhere I missed a clip. From the first 58275 Monroe install to the clip where you decided to add the square tubing. I looked for your Facebook page under kentuckyrider but didn't find it either. I'm assuming the 58275 Monroe's allowed it to bottom out so you added a spacer to give it more spring or support when loaded? Are you still thinking this is a good replacement option to the original Escapade shocks? On another board there is another fix. I'm trying to decide.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bones66
I purchased a replacement set from California Sidecar for my '97 Escapade SE. A coil over set, I haven't installed these yet. Since CSC had went to this design, I preferred their expertise at the subject. They were about the same as the shocks that I replaced in 2008.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts