GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a tire question, all it may be somewhat unusual and may even sound odd, I know it sounds odd to me. And I have been riding for many long years!

Ok, here is what I have seen. When I bought my NEW 2010 GL1800 “first owner” the tires where of course “new”. The tire pressures where checked and set, everything was perfect. Then about 2 or 3 weeks after owning it and already putting some 2,000 Km’s on it, the TPMS light came on one morning even before I got it out the door for a ride.

Both tires where something like 5 to 7 PSI low, not one but both…! Ok, filled it up and that was the end of that. Now move forward some 3 month and 15,000 Km’s of riding….gee how can you tell that I ride…just a little…LOL. Anyways I wore my OEM Dunflops, worst set of tires I have ever had on a bike…wore them out.

These were replaced with Metz 880’s and pressure was set to 43 PSI front and rear both the same. Now move forward about 2 weeks since the new tires went on…yesterday just before I went out checked the tire pressure front and rear. Both were 7 PSI…almost 8 PSI down….?

Ok the question…do these tires stretch or something when new….? I have never seen this before, but now seen this twice and ONLY with new tires with the first month of use…this 5 to near 8 PSI of unexpected and unexplained pressure drop for no reason that I can find, other then…the tire stretched under pressure, hence the pressure drop as the tire got a little larger after its stretch. If that is truly what is happening in the first place.

Can someone explain this uniform pressure drop with new tires….????

:confused:

G

·
I never run that much pressure but I have seen this slight drop with new tires. If you compare your old tire with the new you can see why. Tires do stretch and sag a bit through use. Kind of a one time thing, once they settle in they stabilize.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I somehow had a feeling that they might go through a stretching process when new, but I have never seen this with my other bikes I have had. However none of them had tires that were this big and running such high pressures as these do. All my other bikes were in the high 20's and low to mid 30 PSI ranges. Example my old Honda Shadow which if I recall was 28 front and 32 rear on my bridge stone G 700 style tires it had on it.

As for the 43 PSI, the tires normal pressure is 42, and the dealer that put the tires on said to run them at there max pressure. I ever found some write up on the Metz tire site that even suggested that they be run high to pervent wearing out and cupping and so on.

But getting back to the drop in pressure on the new tires, this was the only thing that I could come up with as well, that they do some stretching when first used for the first time....but I just had to check as I had not thought it would have dropped this much, 2 to 3 PSI I can see...just never figured 5+ PSI.

Thanks for the info...

Lloyd

·
Registered
581 Posts
I change my own tires and check the pressure frequently after changing. The first week or two, I find the pressure goes down sometimes as much as 3 or 4 lbs a week. After that it diminishes. I think that with newly mounted tires, it may take awhile for the beads to completely set. That's just a theory, but I frequently have above average air loss the first week or two and that's the best answer I can come up with.:shrug:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you use to get the tires on and off the rims...? I would loved to have done my own tires...if I could take them off the rims without screwing them up in some way.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I dunno, do not think they stretch as they are filled with cords and fiberglass mats and even some have a metal rim band.

I think it is just the rim bead takes a little while to seat and seal. I know you can spin the rim inside the tire right after mounting one.

You can use the tire bead sealer and they will not leak. But that stuff tends to grab a bit too well and when you dismount the tire you have rubber bits on the rim that you have to steel wool off.

Beads take a bit to seat, that is all.

G

·
I know you can spin the rim inside the tire right after mounting one.
I can do this with a bicycle tire but sure can't with any other tire I have ever mounted.
Sure your rims didn't shrink? :shock:

·
Registered
581 Posts
What do you use to get the tires on and off the rims...? I would loved to have done my own tires...if I could take them off the rims without screwing them up in some way.
I use a modified Harbor Freight tire changer, with MOJO blocks and a No-scuff tire tool. If you do a search you will find about 1,000,000 posts on tire changer!!!:shock:

http://no-scufftiretool.com/index.html

·
Registered
262 Posts
I thought I had a good tire gauge and just this past month found out that I didn't, and I"m now putting the right amount of air in my tires. Mine is a 2009 with TPMS and my light kept coming on. I thought I had the correct air in the tires but in fact I was off 6 lbs. And to it is important to clean the inside of the rim good before mounting a new tire. Some shops won't do this at all.
My new Stone's, mounted just this week are still holding air after 600 miles on them.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I can do this with a bicycle tire but sure can't with any other tire I have ever mounted.
Sure your rims didn't shrink? :shock:
Could be, it was a bit cold. Stuff do shrink when cold............:joke:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
When I last replaced tires on my GL1500, my goldwing guru told me they would lose about 5 lbs during the first week or so and then should stay put, subject to nails, thorns, etc...

I have not changed out on my GL1800 yet, but would expect him to say the same thing. He was toying with the idea of going to a gas fill and that process does not seep out pressure.

Just forwarding info from someone I truly trust.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Stuff? What stuff, on you, are you referring too?
I don't think he meant "stuff", what he really meant was "junk".... :joke: Don't touch my junk!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
;):joke:

Kit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts