GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see alot of people say that having a cb is a must. when i think of a cb all i think of are big rig drivers talkin on them. so why would someone want one on a wing? i must be missing something here. please educate me.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
We have (2) other couple who travel with us on a regular basis.

They are handy if someone needs to take a rest stop, or if you are looking for something, then you have everyone on the same page.

If I traveled alone, I might not find it necessary, but it is great when traveling with other riders.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If you ride by your self, it's not a real big deal. However, if you are riding with a couple bikes or more, it makes it easier to warn of road conditions, change in plans, rider having problems, etc without everyone having to stop to get the word out to the riders. I have one but I don't say much on it unless needed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I drive a truck but hate the CB in it so I don't use it....However on the bike with my friends I love it especially on long trips.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
To tell the semi driver ahead of me to quit swerving off the road kicking up gravel all over my wing!! and if he can't drive any better then that it's time to pull it over and park it!! LOL :p

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I ride by myself alot and often, to break up the monotany of a long ride, I will try to talk to trucks as I pass them. I do ride with some friends that all have cb's and felt completley left out of the fun of a group ride, until I got one. Never thought I needed one and now can't imagine not having it.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
CBs are a must... IF you ride in groups where others have CBs AND you want to be able to join in. If you don't ride in groups of others who have CBs or you don't mind being left out of the conversation or you don't ride in groups at all it's a waste. I would guess that it would be a waste for you don't understand why some say it's a "must." ;)

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I ride by myself alot and often, to break up the monotany of a long ride, I will try to talk to trucks as I pass them. I do ride with some friends that all have cb's and felt completley left out of the fun of a group ride, until I got one. Never thought I needed one and now can't imagine not having it.
:agree: I've had one on my bike for years, when I bought the 1800 I figured I wouldn't need one, about a month later I broke down and bought one from HDL during one of their sales.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I like having a CB on my Wing. They are great when a group is riding together and they have communications. Not only are they beneficial, but the banter that goes on between riders is a lot of fun too.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Cb use when riding on back roads in small groups are nice for the safety factor. There is gravel on the curve, theres a deer-animal, a car pulling out, any number of safety help. It is also nice to know we are turning soon, rest room, eating, or just look at that_____.

They are also nice in a big city, when your trying to get through, since its not possible to always keep in view.

If you ride by yourself, I would say they are of zero use.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I ride alone, with groups with CBs and with a group that think anyone with a CB on a bike has loose screws. I like my "CB bike", the 1800 because of the ability to communicate bike to bike. I also keep it on (with the squelch set low) during long trips on an interstate. More than once I've been tipped off about an accident that has traffic backed up for miles and miles. I'll get off the interstate, turn the squelch up and use the GPS to pick my way around the hold up then get back on the interstate.

When I'm on my "non CB bike", a Suzuki GSX1100G, I'm usually not in a hurry, usually not on interstates and usuallt traveling with fellow G Men who care a lot more about riding than eating and meeting or jawing on a CB. I enjoy both groups of friends.And I enjoy my CB when I'm on the wing.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Do the state troopers still monitor CH 9 ?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The old idea of using a CB for an emergency has mostly been replaced by cell phones, but CB's add another dimension of fun and entertainment to a group ride. We enjoy an on-going conversation with plenty of jokes, wise cracks, and good humored ribbing whenever we are on the road. The CB is also a valuable tool when the group gets separated in city traffic, or if someone needs to stop for some reason. However, if you never have the pleasure of riding with a group of friends with CB radios, you probably don't need one.
:thumbup:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
You asked two questions...

Nobody NEEDS a CB..., but lots of folks WANT them, for the reasons mentioned above.

Need and want are two different things... :thumbup:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, now i get it. would be cool for a group of riders. if all my friends had cbs we would just be insulting each other the entire ride.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
I like the CB on the wing for group rides or when riding with my BIL and sister for the convenience (debris in the road, need to pee or whatever).

I have been on a couple of group rides with some that chatter all the time and that makes me crazy.

If you travel with Slow Joe you will have a great time, if you can understand what he says!:joke:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
If you travel with Slow Joe you will have a great time, if you can understand what he says!:joke:
Thank God! I thought it was only me who can't understand a word he says... :doorag:

·
Registered
814 Posts
When riding in a group you can let the leader know - "Please stop so I can get rid of this coffee". Otherwise you ride and suffer (don't ask me how I know this)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Group riding using a CB is a tool not a toy, leader to tailgunner, not for jibber-jabber. It's great one on one, that way your not stepping on anyone in the group.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts