GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my pal Chris just took delivery this evening of his first Gold Wing. It's an 07 Comfort-Audio-Navi-ABS in an Orange that looks better in person than it does on the Honda website.

Neither here nor there.

The thing is, we're reading the owners manual trying to figure out where in the thing it explains how to adjust the rear view mirrors. Has anyone ever read in any owners manual from Honda how to adjust the rear views? We have pushed pretty hard and they just don't seem to want to move and the owners manual doesn't mention how to adjust them at all. We are capable of pressing on them a great deal harder but we want to make sure that Honda hasn't incorporated some sort of procedure that you have to go through in order to get the things pointed right.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
They are really difficult to move from the factory. Some have had some luck loosening the bottom screw but its function is to hold the entire mirror assembly in the housing, not cinch the mirror.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
The mirrors are not glass, so be careful to not scratch the mirror surface! Also, take extra care when cleaning the mirrors.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Strider said:
From what I understand they are NON adjustable :roll:

but I have been known to be wrong . :cry:
Yep, you're wrong! :( I bet you didn't get the owners manual supplement pertaining to the adjustment of the mirrors. Check with your local dealership for supplement #mca-000-629-076. :idea:

I'm sure glad I hang around to keep some of you guys straight! :roll:

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
My 04 White {the faster one} are like Fred said!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Might be safer to push at a point about 3/4 inch from the edge, than at the edge of the mirrors. When they break, they sure look like glass to me, just very thin.

After riding for well over half a century now and had mirrors that both shook and vibrated so that they were worthless unless the person or object was pretty close, I am very impressed at the clarity of the Wing mirrors. Several times I have seen a patrol car come on the freeway quite a ways back and I check my speed. I had a patrol car follow me from the Boerne city limits to the Comal county line, not knowing that even though he was well back, I could tell he was a policeman. I will never get another red bike. They seem to attract all the wrong things.

I do exercise the bike a bit on just about every tankfull, but not around traffic.

I have Muth mirrors which I got quite a while back. They are very good and the turn signal arrow embedded in them has optics so that at night they are not obtrusive to the rider but unmistakable to the person coming up behind you. They are plug and play. Very visible in the daytime to the traffic behind you.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I had the exact same problem. I think I posted it here too - after exhaustively going over the manual. No mention in mine either.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All squared away

My pal stopped over today with the new bike and we succeeded in getting the mirrors to move. You have to push on them kinda hard in order to get them to break free, but once you do they adjust okay. Funny that Honda has gone so many years without mention of how to adjust the rear view mirrors in the manual!

Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
When I read the post from Strider saying they were non-adjustable, I thought he was right, because I could never get mine to move. I guess I was not forceful enough for fear of breaking them. I guess I will have to use more muscle next time. On the other hand, I really have no issues with how they are aimed from the factory. Maybe I will leave them frozen where they are. That way I will not have to worry about them becoming misaligned by accident! :roll:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Mark, they won's accidentally move!

I do not push on the very edge of the mirrors because they seem like they might break doing that.

Be sure to look into the Muth Mirrors. The have the built in red LED arrow and do not bother the rider, but eally sow up for traffic coming up on you from behind. They are plug and play, high quality items.

Tom

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Strider said:
From what I understand they are NON adjustable :roll:

but I have been known to be wrong . :cry:
What the hell, I adjusted mine the first day I got it. :roll: They're just stubborn when new.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
If they didny make them tight, then we would be complaining that they shake at highway speeds. And to the guys that thought all this time they were non adjustable? :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Leftwinger:

Have your friend Chris look into installing 3" fish eye mirrors on the inside of the mirrors. It removes 100% of the blind spot in the mirrors. I can see myself, the SO on the back and a car coming from behind until he shows up in my peripheral vision. It really made a huge differance for me.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I, too, have the Muth mirrors and they are adjustable. And the turn signal arrow is not a bother to me at night. I think we need as many lights all going at once as possible to be "seen" by others on the road.

When I took out the Honda OEM mirrors, they had the same mounting system as used in the Muth mirrors, so I found out the OEM stuff is just stiff and would be adjustable. I could use some of that stiff stuff... :lol:

You might consider removing the single mounting/holding screw under the mirror and examine your mirror to get a better idea where to push and not break it. :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts