GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just finishing a 5000 mile plus 10 day trip and got 120 miles from home when the transmission let loose. Gravel in the gearbox...

Bike has 180,0053 miles on it as it sits forlornly and neglected in the parking lot....

dang. Just glad it was here and not out on the east coast someplace!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Do you have any warranty left?

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you hadn't been running that danged CT on the bike you would have gotten at least 185,000 miles before the tranny let loose !! :lol:

·
Love The DCT
12,114 Posts
just finishing a 5000 mile plus 10 day trip and got 120 miles from home when the transmission let loose. Gravel in the gearbox...

Bike has 180,0053 miles on it as it sits forlornly and neglected in the parking lot....

dang. Just glad it was here and not out on the east coast someplace!
How did you get gravel in the gearbox? :doorag:

C

·
0 Posts
180k miles? That Wing does not owe you anything. Atleast it would not owe me anything. I hope mine last's that long. Great Bikes these are!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Sorry to here that revrunt!:eek:4:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's an '01, and you are all exactly right, it really doesn't owe me anything. Only problem is, it still looks good and is set up just like I want it. 'Course it doesn't look so good right now, sitting quietly in the driveway...

The warranty has LONG ago expired, so whatever I do with it will be on my nickel. My first choice would be to find a low (or even mid) mileage motor and change it out and put on another 100k. I have posted a WTB ad, but if anyone here has a favorite wrecking yard, I'd appreciate if you'd stop by and check to see what's available...

Biker John, I was in your back yard on Wednesday this week... You got a pretty view from there!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My first choice would be to find a low (or even mid) mileage motor and change it out...
Never a big fan of swap-outs..or "junk-yard" motors.

Can't help but think that by the time you locate, buy, have shipped and installed that "new" motor of unknown history and condition, you are usually, money wise, right about where you would be if you had bit the bullet and had your old one rebuilt.

Sometimes people get lucky on those deals, sometimes they get burned.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Never a big fan of swap-outs..or "junk-yard" motors.

Can't help but think that by the time you locate, buy, have shipped and installed that "new" motor of unknown history and condition, you are usually, money wise, right about where you would be if you had bit the bullet and had your old one rebuilt.

Sometimes people get lucky on those deals, sometimes they get burned.
Most salvage yards have the history and condition of major parts(like a motor) and will accept returns. Problem is, one usually has a lot of time in the install to find out somethings wrong w/this one and ya gotta do it all over again!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Just get a new key.

·
Registered
524 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I'd find a shop that would rebuild your engine after you took it out and delivered it to them.You could save a ton and know you got a fresh rebuilt engine.

BTW:
There are a ton of guys who have over 300,000 on their engine and still running fine.So 180K is chump change.Rebuild the just the tranny and Ride!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd find a shop that would rebuild your engine after you took it out and delivered it to them.You could save a ton and know you got a fresh rebuilt engine.

BTW:
There are a ton of guys who have over 300,000 on their engine and still running fine.So 180K is chump change.Rebuild the just the tranny and Ride!

Rocky, I had thought about that, but wasn't sure what the prognosis would be.... Seems that I just broke/bent a shifting fork, just didn't know how much of the other stuff it would take with it. What should the labor/parts cost to have a tranny rebuilt? (obviously won't know exacty til I get it out and open, but what should a ball park rebuild cost?)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky, I had thought about that, but wasn't sure what the prognosis would be.... Seems that I just broke/bent a shifting fork, just didn't know how much of the other stuff it would take with it. What should the labor/parts cost to have a tranny rebuilt? (obviously won't know exactly until I get it out and open, but what should a ball park rebuild cost?)

The cost differs from shop to shop and on what is needed once the cases are opened.No One can give you an estimate on what they can't see.The cases must be opened to see what the damage is and then a parts list is needed for a TOTAL of what the parts will cost plus their labor.

Knowing what I know after seeing my own engine torn down a few times.You are looking at 1,000 labor once you pull the engine-Plus parts.

Best to call a few honda shops in your area and ask them what they'd charge or have charged to rebuild a transmission in the past.Then ask them what it would cost if you brought the engine in to them.

Some shops will cut you a deal to get your business on labor/parts to just rebuild the tranny.

I'm thinking 2000-$2500.But you'd know what you are getting vs a salvage "roll the dice" see what I get deal.:eek:4:

·
Registered
513 Posts
revrunt,

just curious. i have read several posts over the last few years were a tranny 'goes out'. when this happens,,,,(in your case),,,can you get it at all , to go into any gear? I assume it is a situation were it sounds like the tranny is in two gears at one time?,,,,:eek:4:
sounds like you are still happy as a clam,,with this bike. if that is the case, you may find some young guy locally that will tie into any bike,and he would be willing to rebuild the trans for you? if you was lucky enough to find a tech like this,you may have a good rebuild for a reasonable repair bill.
there are a couple young bike wrenches close to were i live here,that i know would rebuild it,,the trans ,,and their reputation,,is it would be done right as right,period.
i bet if you do some phone calling around there,you will find the same. you may have to trailer the bike several miles,possibly.
i'd hate to guess what a honda dealer would charge for this. it's a little different doing something like this when you are doing it out of your own pocketbook,,,versus hitting your warranty card,,,:cry:
just a thought.
good luck!

take care,
bc

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I deal with salvage parts on a daily basis...would have to say over 90% of the time good as new ...my .02cents and good luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts