GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:

Yeah, I got BUSTED riding through the canyon on my way home from work tonight. Hey, I was just trying to get home before it started RAINING, but somehow that didn't seem to impress the 16-year-old CHP officer who wrote me the ticket for going 86 in a 65 zone! :cop2: :eek:w1:

What's really scary is that for one wild moment there, as soon as I realized he was going to pull me over, I was overcome with an almost overwhelming urge to give him a run for his money! If it was just him and me, I woulda done it! I KNOW I coulda outrun him! But the playing field was a little uneven, what with his ability to call for reinforcement, then I woulda had bears coming at me from every direction. :cop2: :eek:w1: :cop2:

So I pulled over like a good little girl and took my lumps. At this point I have no idea how much :money1: this is gonna cost me (fine, points, higher insurance, etc.).

AAARRGGHHH !!! :cus:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't run

You made the right decision to stop for him. You raise the stakes a bit too high when you run. Bottom line, you can't out run the Motorola. Wonder what would happen if they caught you if you ran? I think it is better to pay for what you have done, than to compound the problem by adding additional charges. It would be kinda fun to leave him in the dust though. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
In Illinois, the lowest cost is $75, which you can pay right to the cop, instead of giving your license. Then, you don't have to appear in court. I'd imagine that the price goes up for faster speeds; I've been lucky, haven't been higher than that yet.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Speedin Ticket

Jami, Sorry about th ticket, ya did right ta pull over & take th ticket. I gotta ah need fer speed, it's cost me in th past , & surely will cost me in th future. Th really weird thing is i had ah dream last night in which i was pulled over & ticketed for 92 mph, it was very vivid. Stuff happens, it hasn't dampened my spirit for long. Right after i fold th ticket up & put it in my pocket i'm right back on that throttle, ah course i wait till TH MAN is outta site. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Speeding Ticket

Jami, I don't know how it works in CA, but up here in WA you have three choices - plead guilty and pay the ticket, plead guilty and claim 'extenuatating circumstances' and let the judge decide, and fight the ticket. If you have otherwise been a good driver and have the option to claim the extenuating circumstances it would be worth a try. The result could be that you receive 'deferred prosecution' whereas if you commit no further infractions in the next six months they drop the ticket - no points, no insurance increase, etc.

Good Luck
Courtney in Seattle

·
Registered
168 Posts
How to solve this problem

Well Jami, I also think you did the right thing in your circumstances. I have done both, pulled over and also ran. Running is a blast. Especially if you win. But having to paint your bike another color is expensive, and Walmart spray cans dont do the best job. The real solution is to have your riding buddy be ........... "A STATE TROOPER", and your other riding partner's wife work for the Court House, and hang out at the local Waffle House and buy the LEO's coffee. He He He. It also helps to know the police chief personally. I guess being connected helps. :oops:
:twisted: :oops: :twisted: :oops: :twisted:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey Jami
Good call on pulling over I know the temptation but it's not a good idea. I'm sure if you fight it the DA will offer a deal too avoid court. I've been lucky so far knock on wood. Dave :sw1:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes Jami, you did the right thing. During my 3 years as a LEO I took too many to the county lockup for trying to run form me, when they would have just gotten cited, or warned, for a traffic violation. It's always best to stop and take your lumps. Why make a bad situation worse. You did good.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, twisting the wrist is a real temptation but not a good idea. Unless, of course, you happen to be married to the officer trying to pull you over :cop2: . Then it can be LOTS of fun trying to get out of a ticket :angle1: :angle1:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Speeding Ticket

Jami

80 in a 65 in Mississippi is $96.50, plus $10.00 to apply for the "Driving School", plus $35.00 for the school. I will go from 5:30 till 9:30 tonight, see you there.

Donnie

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
trying to emulate hubby, Jaimie-Marie? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to hear you got nailed ... I imagine that the People's Republic of California just loves the spare change derived from speeding prizes ... since Arnie cut the registration 'tax', they have to come up with the money some other way.
Like the others said ... it may be fun to run ... but getting caught sucks. Good call!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Speeding

Jami.........You are lucky. I do believe that in Kentucky 20 over gets you a reckless driving charge instead of speeding. This not only lands you in court but you also get a free ride to jail and a tow. :money1:

Jerry

·
Registered
846 Posts
25 mph and over here in NY State is wreckless driving and its up to the officer, but he can impound your bike and take you to the pokey.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Who is the good guy and who the bad?

:cop2: Here is a true story from 2 days go. Officer spots vehicle at high rate of speed traveling south on IH-35, eventually gets into a chase after another officers clocks the speeding vehicle on radar at 101 MPH in a 55 MPH construction zone. Suspect vehicle turns around and now heads north on interstate. Officers call in the chase on radio and identify the suspect vehicle as "possibly a red Audi". One police unit is set up down the road in time to deploy the stop sticks and flatten tires. Keep in mind this is just after midnight and going through a construction zone on an interstate highway. Officer manages to throw the sticks and flatten three tires, then pull the sticks back in time not to affect any other traffic. He proudly calls in on the radio that the suspect vehicle is stopping.

Officer involved in the chase gets on the radio and states "I don't know who you just spiked but the suspect vehicle exited the interstate before we reached you".

DOH!

Cost for front end alignment for a 2003 red Hyundi $59.95
Cost of 4 new michelin tires for an upset college kids car $499
Look on Officers face knowing he spiked the wrong car - PRICELESS!
The stories and jokes that will be told about this Officer and incident - ENDLESS!

Audi was eventually caught, driver charged with DWI.

·
Registered
684 Posts
AARRGGHH...I Got A Speeding Ticket

Around St. Louis they have these legalized speeding ticket fixing businesses. They get it reduced to a non moving violation..... it costs a ton of money but eliminates the points & insurance increase.

Mike

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jami - there is no question, you made the only intelligent decision, and running would be an almost certain nightmare. Although I believe the Corona jail now has internet access so you could have followed the goings on of this Forum from your new home.

DaleC

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Outrun them?

You can't outrun radio waves or bullets. Most MC riders would crash and burn if they tried to outrun a cop car. Most MC riders do not have the high speed bike driving skills it would take to outrun the cop. Smart move to stop. :roll:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Jami, You made the correct decision to Stop. Its a pity you did'nt make the correct decision and abide by the legal SPEED LIMIT. Slow down, you may never get a second chance. :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
407 Posts
You have little to lose if you plead not guilty and go to court. The officer has to show up or there is no witness against you and you win. If the officer shows, you can normally talk to him before trial. If you didn't give him a hard time when you were stopped and you bleed on him a little about the $300 per year insurance increase for the next three years he may be willing to reduce the charge to a non moving violation... faulty speedometer, parking on the pavement, etc. You pay a fine but avoid the points and insurance hit. His bosses know he wrote the ticket and they really don't care how it was resolved. If all else fails, you are no worse off for trying...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts