GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The service manual says 4000 miles for the first oil change. I have about 3000 miles now and it seems that the shifting is getting a little "sticky" seems to require more force to change gears. Is it OK to go ahead and change the oil now? I thought it would make the shifting easier.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Do what you are comfortable with. I change mine when I think of it as long as it's before 8K normally run it 5K or so since it's an easy number to remember. Just wouldn't run it beyond the recommmended time. Just drain it change the filter and put in 4 quarts and ride it shouldn't use any till next change.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I do not think there is a right or wrong.

If the shifting is a bit sticky, sure change the oil. The 4K is simply a guideline, some follow it some not. Another school says change it at 600 miles, bottom line is no wing has ever been hurt by an oil change.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't care what the manual says - I did my first oil change @ 1,000 miles and went with a synthetic blend. Honda mechanic told me not to go to full synthetic until around 12,000 miles.

New oil is always a good thing, but it's sometimes not the best money spent. It doesn't cost that much, so do what will make you feel better about the bike.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Oil Change

I don't KNOW, but I was told by the dealer, that Honda wants the breakin oil in for 4000 miles for a reason.

The dealer generally does not have a problem taking my money, so when he tells me not to give to just yet, I tend to listen.

Now I'm sure there are quite a few other, more informed opinions, but a 4k oil change followed by a change at 8k, seems pretty conservative to me.

Being "old" school, I tend to change oil often. The engineers that I know laugh at me, but so do most of the people I know.

Read the manual and err on the side of caution.

Enjoy the ride.
bbc

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
I've never seen Honda documentation about leaving in the 'break-in' oil, but some engine manufacturers like John Deere have specific instructions in their manual not to add anything but break-in oil for xx time, when the first oil change is to occur. They also have this instruction for anytime an engine is rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I always do the first oil change below 1K and about 3k after that. I switched to synthetic the first change. My engine burns 0 oil between oil changes. It's just what I do. Everybody has there own idea.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I did my first oil change at 1000 miles, don't know if I did the right thing, but I felt better getting new oil in there.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
Trust your common sense. Honda does not tell us in the manual that there is break in oil in the bike when new, and does not tell us to leave it in there for the first 4000 miles. So you can change it whenever you want.

I am not a fan of recreational oil changing, but if you aren't happy with the way the bike is shifting, you have given yourself a good reason to change it. Honda uses conventional dino oil from the factory, and all dino oils break down early, well before the recommended interval, and that results in rough shifting. If you use dino, no matter what brand it is, you are going to experience the same thing in a few thousand miles. I have found this to be true with every bike I have owned.

I got tired of seeing my shifting get stiff and clunky after 4000-5000 miles, and that is the only reason I switched to synthetic. The shifting remains smooth throughout the 8000 mile interval.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
change every 5K reg or synthetic
easy to remember
time for a new bike

·
Registered
593 Posts
And when you change the oil, always remember NEW CRUSH WASHERS :joke:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice. I will go ahead and change it now. And yes I do have crush washers. I have used Mobil 4T Racing oil in my last bike and will be sticking with it in this one.
Dave

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Changing your oil every 3 or 4 thousand miles on a wing is like changing the oil on your car every 1000 or 1500 miles....It's a waste of time and money...

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Changing your oil every 3 or 4 thousand miles on a wing is like changing the oil on your car every 1000 or 1500 miles....It's a waste of time and money...
I would think it's just the opposite. Changing your oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles on a wing is like changing the oil in your car every 6 to 8 thousand miles. Motorcycle engines with wet clutches are harder on the oil than an automobile engine. The oil shears the viscosity down 10 points or more after just 1000 miles with dyno oil, less with synthetic. The shared oil is contaminated with clutch particles and metal filings from the gears. This is much more demanding on oil and filtration than an auto. Just my opinion however, oil analysis posted on this forum bear this out.

I know from just looking at the dip stick, my bike oil gets darker much faster than my car with the same amount of miles.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I did all my fluid changes at 1000 miles just to make sure all was right. This is a good start point for me.:agree:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Gezzzzzzzzzzzzzz, it is amazing the crap dealers try to tell people, THERE IS NO BREAK-IN OIL IN THE 1800 GOLDWING, Most of Honda other bikes require a 600 mile initial oil change NOT THE WING, These bikes are all run on a dyno at the factory and taken to the max horsepower RPM, they are held there for tests just like a racing engine, as for the manual, it is your bike, although I would like to think so, I am not smarter than the engineers who design the bike.....but like everyone says,
IN THE WORDS OF "BLIND FAITH" "DO WHAT YOU LIKE"

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
These bikes are all run on a dyno at the factory and taken to the max horsepower RPM, they are held there for tests just like a racing engine.
I agree with most of what you said, except for the part I quoted.

I have been through the Marysville tour 4 times, and have seen most of the videos of the assembly plant. Not once have I ever seen them take the engine over about 3500 rpm, either on the engine stand or the bike dyno. On both dyno's, they bring the engine rpm slow and easy, never putting a heavy load on it. On the bike dyno, the tech takes the bike up to about 65mph in fifth gear, mostly just to check for vibration.

They aren't testing things like HP and torque. All they are looking for is verification that things like the oil pump and water pump are working, that the transmission shifts through all the gears properly, and that there are no noises or vibration that might indicate a problem.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
can anyone find a quart of oil on anyones shelf that is branded breakin oil. i know ive never seen any

Break in oil is a lower viscosity than whats normally used. BrandX 10weight for break in, BrandX 30weight after break in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts