GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a used rear rim. I plan on getting it clearcoated and mounting a new tire on it to have when my original wears out on my '10. Due to a massive brain-fart on my part, I neglected to ask the seller if the rim had the TPMS unit on it, it doesn't. I'm guessing the rim is off an older, pre-TPMS equipped wing. Is there a difference, other than the TPMS, in the older vs. newer bikes that would keep the rim from fitting on my bike? If I add a TPMS unit to it, will it link up ok to what's on the bike now? Will a TPMS unit even fit on a rim that didn't originally come on the rim without modification to the rim? I do this kind of thing all the time...leap without looking.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Is there a difference, other than the TPMS, in the older vs. newer bikes that would keep the rim from fitting on my bike?
No. The '01-'08 rims are identical to the '09-'10 rims (unsure about the '12 but would assume them also) as far as fitment onto the Wing is concerned.

If I add a TPMS unit to it, will it link up ok to what's on the bike now?
If you use the TPMS wheel sensor from your existing wheel, then yes. If you use a different wheel sensor, then you will need to register the sensor to the TPMS "brain" on the bike. You will need to do this each time you switch wheels as the onboard TPMS "brain" can only retain 2 wheel sensors (1 front/1 rear).

Will a TPMS unit even fit on a rim that didn't originally come on the rim without modification to the rim?
I believe you would only need to grind down the small tab on the outside of the rim near the valve stem whole as previously mentioned in an above post.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies...

kinda what I thought and sounds like too much trouble to me to try to switch rims. Guess I have a rim for sale...

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Hmmmm, What would you take for it, wiz
thecruiser

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
kinda what I thought and sounds like too much trouble to me to try to switch rims. Guess I have a rim for sale...
Registering the wheels is a 5 minute job but it takes a tool that costs ~$100 to do it (ATEQ VT15).

You could also disable the OEM TPMS. That's what I did and replaced it with a Doran TPMS. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273674

So you have several options that will enable you to enjoy the convenience of having a spare rim (with or without a TPMS sensor).

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Registering the wheels is a 5 minute job but it takes a tool that costs ~$100 to do it (ATEQ VT15).

You could also disable the OEM TPMS. That's what I did and replaced it with a Doran TPMS. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273674

So you have several options that will enable you to enjoy the convenience of having a spare rim (with or without a TPMS sensor).

I also have the Doran TPMS. An awesome unit! :thumbup:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

thanks for the suggestions...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts