GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Message body

He won't keep the neck brace on & the nurses are going crazy with him about it, because of that the bone has shifted so here was his options: if he had the surgery they would fuse his neck & he only have about 30-35% movement. by having the halo he should have 90-95% movement. but it has to be on for at least 3 months.
After the Dr asked if he will keep it on & he did promise he would. he made the choice of the halo cause in his words yesterday: "I want to ride again or there's no reason for living".
So here's what I'm asking: I'm sure by the 2nd month he'll start talking about getting the halo off so please remind him that if he sticks with it he'll be able to get back on a bike. I'm sure it's going to be really hard for him, as we all know he's not known for his abundance of patience. His brother even pointed out to him how stubborn he is & he agreed with him. As for the ribs I guess they are just going to let them heal for now & make sure they can get his neck fixed.
He is room 917 C now & I don't know how long he'll be in hospital. He thinks he'll be home by next week, could be? There's still no phone in the room & he has lost his cell phone. he is in a good spirits & still likes to joke with the nurses, asking them to leave their numbers. he hasn't gotten lucky yet with that. We did tell him we're dressing max up in pink for Halloween, don't know why he rolled his eyes. ;) we'll have pictures.
so that's about it, just keep him in your prayers [he needs all he can get]

DD asked this be posted.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Thanks for that update. Those of us that know him, also know how hardheaded he can be. Hopefully he will heed the doctors advice and keep it on till his neck is healed properly and he can ride again.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
The halo is a pain in the patootie, but having limited movement is worse. My sister many years ago was hit by a drunk driver, she was in a rotisserie bed for 4-5 weeks then a halo for 4 months.

But now she has almost complete movement, gets stiff from time to time but she is glad she stuck with it.

Just post some pictures of TJ with his bike and some of you guys - that should help give him some motivation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tell TJ he better listen to those doctors! We all want him to be able to get back on a wing and ride! Best wishes for a very speedy recovery! Hopefully it will be better when he gets out of the hospital and is back to a somewhat regular routine. Thanks for the update.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts