GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone direct me to previous "REVIEWS" of ABS. I am finally ready to sell my 1500 and get an 1800. The more I think about it, the more uncertain I am as to an opinion about ABS on a motorcycle. Other opinions welcomed.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Check the link below for just one of a thousand threads about ABS. The only reason I hear for not getting ABS on the Wing is the additional cost or misunderstanding of what ABS is.

You'll never know you have ABS brakes on the 1800 until you need them. They operate the same as the non-ABS systems except they will prevent the tires from locking.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... 92&start=0

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I will also add that if you do not want ABS better get one now. HONDA has said that by the end of 07' all will have ABS as a standard. I really don't expect them to be on time but it is going to happen, and within the next couple models. They have also said that by the end of 2010 ALL bikes 250 and larger will have ABS as a standard... It is the way of the future for bikes and IMO is nothing to be scared about. The reality is, if you know how to ride you will never activate the ABS so it will never effect your riding. But if you screw up it could save your bacon.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The best article I read (sorry, no link) was it's a very tiny longer braking distance on dry pavement (like 1 or 2 feet or statiscally equal) but a huge improvement on wet pavement.

It's a lot of money to get it on an 06 and that's why I bought an 05. BG

ABS was the wifes only condition on getting the Wing so I thought it was a great idea. LOL

·
Registered
638 Posts
All of the motorcycle reviewers in the press are unanimous on the benefits of ABS.
The differences in the braking distances recorded by MCN magazine were achieved by experts at braking. MCN explained that the average rider is not an expert at braking so would probably achieve shorter distances with ABS. If you're thinking you're an expert at braking think again. I doubt that anyone reading this forum is unless they are professional motorcyclists. A friend who rode about 8000 miles a year considered himself an expert at braking his 1500. He bought a non-ABS 1800. Such arrogance can be fatal.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I firmly believe that my ABS has save my lard azz more than once. Not to speak of the thousands of Dollar$ in plastic, that I would have wrecked.

Bulldog

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ellary said:
All of the motorcycle reviewers in the press are unanimous on the benefits of ABS.
The differences in the braking distances recorded by MCN magazine were achieved by experts at braking. MCN explained that the average rider is not an expert at braking so would probably achieve shorter distances with ABS. If you're thinking you're an expert at braking think again. I doubt that anyone reading this forum is unless they are professional motorcyclists. A friend who rode about 8000 miles a year considered himself an expert at braking his 1500. He bought a non-ABS 1800. Such arrogance can be fatal.
Even an expert would, I believe, benifit from ABS at times. Such as a panic stop with poor road conditions after a long day of riding.

·
Registered
149 Posts
ABS Don't leave home without it. When I had to replace the '02 non ABS, I only considered ABS bikes. My BMW is ABS also. I love em both and have yet to NEED the ABS. I have played with them enough to have a feel for how they re act.
Once is all it would take, and you have saved the extra dough, plus I think it will get more difficult to sell non ABS bikes in the future.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I wish my '06 with navi had ABS brakes. Local dealerships around here have till now refused to order Gold Wings, Silver Wings, ST 1300's and Reflexes with ABS brakes for the past 4.5 years that I have lived here. Dealers always claiming that no one would buy them, yet they won't let you pre-order one with ABS brakes either, is this a South Florida thing? :shock:

Would it be cost effective to add ABS now to my wing, that is if it can even be done? This is the one thing that's missing on my wing and keeping me from being 100% satisfied.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
cptdenny said:
Would it be cost effective to add ABS now to my wing, that is if it can even be done?
It would be more cost effective to replace it with a '07! :roll:

or..... you could trade it for a '06 Drk Red ABS with under 1,000 miles if enough :money1:'s are involved. The guy lives on the west coast of Fl....

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
ABS is the only thing I wish I had that I do not have - and the next bike WILL have it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will never have another bike without ABS, I have ABS on my bike, it eliminates one thing (LOCKING UP YOUR WHEELS) trust me this is a bad thing I know from experience. I did not have it on my 99 wing and I don't care how much you practice you let a dump truck pull out in front of you and you will lock up your wheel (I did anyway), a bad thing. To make it worse once you lock up your rear wheel you should not relase it, guess what, you will(I did), and you may get high sided off the bike.

If you can afford the $1,000 get the ABS, like the rich man says that is one less thing he has to worry about.

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
ABS SAVES LIFES
Ho much is your worth?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I feel i am a experinced rider with 40 years under my belt but Twice this summer i have had to lock my bike down.I have said in the past i didnt think ABS on a bike is worth a plug nickle. Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks . I admit i was wrong. iIt saved my life both times .First time on a four lane good dry pavenent truck pulling a boat pulled out in front of me with a car to my left. The bike came to a very controlled stop from 60 miles MPH. The bike felt like it was going over very small rumble strips which i suspect was from the bike wheels trying to not lock up and you could here them chirping . Second time a truck ran out of gas and came across three lanes of traffic at 45 degree angle and ran me to the shoulder on a bridge. Lots of loose stuff on the shoulder and with another full lock down the bike left a very very thin black mark but stopped perfect with out doing anything strange. the bike did not try to go down either time. And both times brakes front and back where locked tight .( I LOVE ABS )GL1800 ABS

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Red said:
cptdenny said:
Would it be cost effective to add ABS now to my wing, that is if it can even be done?
It would be more cost effective to replace it with a '07! :roll:
I think you're right about that Red. 8)

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
ABS,ABS, get that option! Wet skids on a bike that weighs 800 plus, is something you don't want to experience!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have not had to actuate the ABS out on the road. I did test it in a parking lot 60-0. It works. Put the odds in your favor and get the ABS. Heck, get the airbag if you can swing it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
First, let me say that with 125K+ miles in the past 4 years on a Valkyrie I/S and a Wing, I have had many opportunities to brake as hard as I could (I don't like the term panic braking cause I didn't panic). Some were practice, many were not. And, while there are many with more experience than I have, I’ve had my fair share in recent years.

When I bought the wing, I went for the ABS because there are occasions when I am riding and I am close to being used up for the day (ie: whooped). When that occurs, I know I can still center up the bike and grab and stand and the bike will stop every bit as quick as I can make it stop without ABS when I am fully rested. Probably a little quicker. And, the ABS will prevent the tires from locking up and causing a slide-out.

Bottom line, in those few occasions when I need it, the ABS is there to bail me out. All you have to do is slide-out one time and the repairs will make the ABS option look real cheap.

My biggest concern is when I go back to the Valkyrie, I have to remember that I must be more careful with my braking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts