GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a new GL1800. Are abs brakes worth the xtra money. I have 30 yrs riding experience. Any other options I should get.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes! The ABS system can be a real life-saver. It's well worth the money.

Other "must have" options (IMHO): belly pan, front fender extension, driving lights or fog lights, accessory outlet, service manual.

Nice to have: heated grips, CB, CD player.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My '01 doesn't have ABS. I figured, "never had it before, don't need it now". After reading some of the experiences of our fellow board members, both with and without ABS, the next 1800 I buy will have it.

Just my 2¢ worth.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Jim, only you can decide. I don't have them, and am not especially fond of the "linked" braking system either, but not a lot i can do about that.
it seems i'm in the minority here, but i've been riding continously since 1962, & feel i'm qualified to decide what i need/want on a motrcycle. i've ridden motorcycles with mechanical brakes, drum brakes, cable actuated brakes, & the "late model" hydraulic discs. even had a motorcycle that i built & rode without a FRONT brake.(how dumbi is that? but it looked "cool" 8) i've never wrecked a motorcycle because i couldn't stop in time. that's just my experience, if YOU feel you need them get them. Yes i do wear a helmut, boots, gloves,& whatever else i think i need for safety & comfort when i ride.
not trying to start anything with this & wish y'all a Merry & safe Christmas.
dave,the hobo,Cassidy

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hobo,
Well put.

I have long felt the same way as you and therefore didn't get ABS on my '03. In addition, they are of little value while leaning in a turn, as they disengage. However,.....

At Americade, I road tested two Beemers led by the BMW staff. They stopped to demonstrate their AMS system and I was blown away. This is there third or forth version and it was impressive.

They jammed on the brakes of a K1200LS at 65 mph while on partial gravel and it stopped on a dime in front of us with no skidding. In addition, they say the forks have a reserve of a 5" compression after the braking dive, so you can run over a 4x4 or a deep hole while under full braking.

I have no idea how Honda ABS measures up, but I will be looking into ABS for the next bike.

I have ABS on both cars, but have never engaged either of them.

Oops, I have to get to the church,

Merry Christmas to all

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
My next wing will have the ABS. Probably will look at the 2006 or 2007 wings

I've riden bikes since I was 10, I'll be 50 soon. After my little 'incident' 6 weeks ago, I have practiced panic stops on the wing several times.

The linked brake system requires a bit different application in hard stops. At least for me they do.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I asked the same question here before buying my ABS and the replies helped me decide that it made sense. As Tom Finch (and others) have pointed out ... the 1800 was designed to have ABS and, therefore, works better if you have them.
I moved up from an 1100 Aspencade ... had never upgraded because I liked the UNLINKED brakes. Did NOT like the idea of having to use the rear brakes (I went through 1 set of rear pads in 80,000 miles).
Having no option on unlinkerd brakes anymore ... and reading all the comments ... i opted for ABS and even drove 350 miles to buy a bike with ABS (none available in mid-Michigan).
I have not regretted having them .... having test ridden an ABS-free model before and then riding mine ... I'll stay with ABS.
just my $0.001

·
Registered
833 Posts
There is only one argument for not having ABS. That is the $1000 dollars it costs. Which in reality, will partially be returned to you at resale or trade.

No amount of experience will ever out brake an ABS bike on a less than perfect surface. I seldom get to ride on a perfect surface so I have ABS. ..... Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
abs brakes

Going west on a two lane road (the only good kind to ride on) in north alabama in the rain running a wee bit fast for conditions a deer came running out of the woods. I do believe if I hadn't had abs I would have gone down.

A world super bike rider can probably stop as quickly as abs but I am not and never will be a world super bike rider so I recommend them every chance I get.

By the way the deer got away. I was also lucky that there wern't any cars anywhere near me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
abs brakes

My only concern about ABS brakes is the guy behind me with out them!

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Mayb the spoiler would slow the guy coming up your rearend without ABS?

Kinda catch his chin as he passes over?

:lol:

·
Registered
174 Posts
wjolly said:
I'm thinking of buying a new GL1800. Are abs brakes worth the xtra money. I have 30 yrs riding experience. Any other options I should get.
I made my decision after reading about some ABS v non-ABS tests done some 8 or so years back. They had riders ranging from racers to novice and the racer could genally out do the ABS but only slightly in all but ONE situation.

Can't remember the actual figures but these are close. On a very wet road, withOUT ABS the racer stopped in 295 feet, most of the other test dummies went 325+.

With ABS they all hauled to stop around 200 feet, and the racer was about 195 feet. Now THAT's why I paid for ABS.

I have been riding motorcycles for 35+ years. Had my share of on-track wrecks but almost none on the road, but reading that report made up my mind instantly.

FTW

·
Registered
177 Posts
ABS was the only option I took when buying my "03" last August.
Never needed it yet but I ride more relaxed knowing it's there if needed.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
:clap2: yes! :clap2:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Red said:
And YES again. :yes: This bike is only available in the U.S. as an non ABS every other country she comes fitted standard with ABS. :1st: If it cost 5000 :money1: it would be money well spent. :s27: I have tested this lady on the track at all speeds and all conditions, :drive1: the ABS is a winner. :clap2:

:clap2: :rw1: :clap2:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi guys.....
I too have an ABS and fully endorse it!
I also get a kick out of all you guys that say that you haven't needed it yet or something to that extent, but your glad that it's there if you ever need it. I guess none of you ever had to make a quick, unpredicted stop?? :wink:
I GUARANTEE YOU that if you EVER STOMPED on your brakes for WHATEVER REASON, your ABS system DID ENGAGE AND STOP YOUR WING! It's just that it's so slick and refined that you do not get the "pulsation" effect that you might get in your 4-wheeler when you stomp on THOSE ABS brakes :wink: . With the Wing, there IS NO PULSATION, or if there is, the "pulses" are so close together that it doesn't seem to "pulse" at all. I've had many occasions where I'm quite sure that mine have engaged because of traffic light changes, people pulling out, etc. that using normal brakes, I would've probably gone down or at least skidded the rear tire and hope I didn't plow into the guy in front of me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts