GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ABS light started blinking the other day. Pulled the diagnostic code and found it needs a new controller.
Does anyone know the easiest way to get at it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Which controller?? Front or rear........there are two.

Trick answer, there are two one for front and one for rear, both in the same area .

Erase the codes, take the bike for a ride , before final decision, make sure the tires have proper pressure and a rim is not bent and the sensor ring is not loose first.

If you still get the same code,

Off with the shelter, out with the air filter, off with the lower cowls and inner fairings , drain the fluid, undo the hoses, unbolt the unit, whichever one shows the code......oh unplug the cruise control get it out of the way, looking at the front of the bike the modulators or controls the left one is the rear, the right one is the front.

If the bike was run on the center stand the code may show. But not be a real fault. There are two fuses depending on year which ones......one of them burned out can cause this. This is how you erase the codes also, you yank both fuses and then install then after the light goes off within a couple seconds.

You can also just swap out the motors to see if it is a bad motor or the entire control.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already checked everything out. I just want to know the easiest way to get to the controller. There is only one and on the 01 to 05 Wings its on a tray attached to the rear fender under the trunk.

·
Love The DCT
11,794 Posts
I've already checked everything out. I just want to know the easiest way to get to the controller. There is only one and on the 01 to 05 Wings its on a tray attached to the rear fender under the trunk.
According to the service manual, rear fender "A" must be removed to access the ABS controller. Remove flange bolt and the four setting bolts. Release tabs from the saddlebags being careful not to damage them and remove rear fender "A" You want to be sure the ignition is off before you disconnect the cable to the controller. :doorag:

·
Love The DCT
11,794 Posts
Which controller?? Front or rear........there are two.

Trick answer, there are two one for front and one for rear, both in the same area .

Erase the codes, take the bike for a ride , before final decision, make sure the tires have proper pressure and a rim is not bent and the sensor ring is not loose first.

If you still get the same code,

Off with the shelter, out with the air filter, off with the lower cowls and inner fairings , drain the fluid, undo the hoses, unbolt the unit, whichever one shows the code......oh unplug the cruise control get it out of the way, looking at the front of the bike the modulators or controls the left one is the rear, the right one is the front.

If the bike was run on the center stand the code may show. But not be a real fault. There are two fuses depending on year which ones......one of them burned out can cause this. This is how you erase the codes also, you yank both fuses and then install then after the light goes off within a couple seconds.

You can also just swap out the motors to see if it is a bad motor or the entire control.
Kit, you're referring to the front and rear ABS modulators. There is only one ABS controller and it is located at the rear of the bike under the trunk. :doorag:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep, I do not have the manual right now, I would take the bolts out of the rear fender access panel, remove that, and drop the lower trunk piece off and there it should sit.

Check the connectors good, could be just a open line or bad ground . Not sure what the thing costs but most likely not cheap.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit, you're referring to the front and rear ABS modulators. There is only one ABS controller and it is located at the rear of the bike under the trunk. :doorag:
Yes Sir.......I will get it right the next time. :lol: I am just practicing today.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Yes Sir.......I will get it right the next time. :lol: I am just practicing today.
While you practice I learned something ... thanks. Obviously you have had experiance with his problem.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
Something else good to know, this rearward location is only for the 01-05 bikes. The 06 and up bikes have the control unit under the ECM in the usual ECM location. :thumbup:

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Something else good to know, this rearward location is only for the 01-05 bikes. The 06 and up bikes have the control unit under the ECM in the usual ECM location. :thumbup:
Of course, the only good thing about it being located under the top shelter is that you can stand up to work on it instead of having to scurry around on the garage floor like a fiddler crab.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well I hope we helped a bit. I misunderstood an went the wrong way.

Forgot about how to get the lower trunk out of the way, but inside the trunk are some screws that hold the trunk trim on. Remove those and then under that are about six to ten more around the trunk take those out and the lower trunk part will come off.

But will have to access the motors and modulators in any event to test for proper ground and open circuits between the controller and the modulation valves.

So even with a code that says the controller is bad, it can well be an open circuit or ground situation.

I would recommend a manual and take it one step at a time, do each test , then the next one and so on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts