GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i guess i dont have a lot to compare too.... but a few days ago it was kind enough to rain here in florida and i wanted to once and for all find out if the ABS on this bike works... ive havent had the chance to really
test it out....

ive done a few panic stops... but the bike does soooo well on dry pavement that ABS never kicked in

anyway... i hit the brakes real hard coming up to a red lite and the roads were nice and wet from a rain that had just finished.... it kinda felt like the bike's front wheel slide.... but maybe not and that was the ABS working...and it did stay straight...

i was expecting to feel some sort of clicking or feedback in the front brake handle and didnt get that.....

since the bike was new.... sitting at a lite holding the front brake i will occasionally get these little pulses in the brake handle... like i would expect to feel if the ABS was working during a stop.....

so i dont know if that made me think im supposed to feel the same thing...

bottom line......... is there an easy test the dealer can do that can confirm my ABS is operational?????

or can anyone tell from my description above that it worked just fine????

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Sure. Take it out on a loose gravel road, get it up to about 80, grab a whole handful of front brake. If you are still able to walk away, it was working. Other than that, are you getting a warning light? Self testing working?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Thats the great thing about Honda's ABS, its about the best there is. Absolutely no feedback. I tested it out by getting up to 45 mph in an empty parking lot and then giving it everything I had for brakes. There was no skidding nor feedback and the bike remained straight. The rear tire did end up leaving a black strip about 3 feet long on the pavement but it wasn't a skid.

That occasional pulsing in your break hand when at a traffic light is the best way to tell its still working.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dorian_Blue said:
Thats the great thing about Honda's ABS, its about the best there is. Absolutely no feedback. I tested it out by getting up to 45 mph in an empty parking lot and then giving it everything I had for brakes. There was no skidding nor feedback and the bike remained straight. The rear tire did end up leaving a black strip about 3 feet long on the pavement but it wasn't a skid.

That occasional pulsing in your break hand when at a traffic light is the best way to tell its still working.

well ;-) it sounds based on that mine is working just fine.... i dont have any warning lights.... by all appearances all is working just fine based on dash lites and all.... i just wasnt sure about what im supposed to feel....

what got me thinking about all this is i have an intersection near the house that a lot of phospate and sulphur trucks turn at.... and when it gets wet this area gets slick like black ice......

and once going thru there after a rain i swore i was just skating and i was just plain lucky to be going straight and didnt need to come to a complete stop,,,,and the middle of the intersection was just rough enuf for me to
have something to turn on..... in these cases i was already going pretty slow... so i thot maybe the ABS doesnt work below a certain speed...

the stop i did the other day started out at about 50mph and i was pleased at how fast that baby stopped....

guess i can relax....... unless i hit one of those gravel roads at 80mph NOT 8)

now i can go out and burn up another set of tires 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts