GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
An interesting comment from a very accomplished rider.
See paragraph #2, second and third sentences:

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2011/7.pdf

YMMV
Thanks for posting. I feel the same way, I'm lucky that I didn't have to learn from my own experience. What ever the additional cost and no matter if the GPS is brain dead, ABS is worth it. I will never buy another bike without ABS.

·
Vendor
17,792 Posts
After having Wings with abs, I will never buy a new one without that feature. I've been surprised to many times how well it works. One time when it was slippery and wet and knowing I was not going to stop quick enough, I had to laugh when I had 2 car lengths remaining. I honestly thought that was my last ride. There are other times when I can't even beleived the abs engaged. I would consider myself a very experianced rider with over 200k safe miles almost all on a Wing.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I am not perfect and I plan for the unexpected events....thus ABS and motorcycle gear are utilized

If I was perfect....and the world was perfect...then I could ride nekkid without a care in the world
(It's probably a could thing that the world and I are not perfect!)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Sounds as if he was dreaming. 18 wheeler making a panic stop and he locked up the front wheel.
Sounds like the 18 wheeler was stopped or slowing down and he took a little nap.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Thanks for posting. I feel the same way, I'm lucky that I didn't have to learn from my own experience. What ever the additional cost and no matter if the GPS is brain dead, ABS is worth it. I will never buy another bike without ABS.
+1:thumbup:

Especially one as big, heavy and hard to stop as a wing.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
We all know there will be people who will swear they don't need ABS on a bike and can stop in any panic situation completely under control. HAHAHA Pipe dreams......
Fortunately, for both themselves and their loved ones, morons who believe they can out-react a good ABS computer are in a rapidly-shrinking minority.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Fortunately, for both themselves and their loved ones, morons who believe they can out-react a good ABS computer are in a rapidly-shrinking minority.
True. It is difficult for me to understand why people buy new bikes without ABS, then spend tons of money on farkles. To each his own, but to me ABS is a no brainer, particularly on a large touring bike.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Actually employed mine twice (on the BMW and ST1100 prior to having a wing).
Definitely would be seriously injured each time. One involved a deer on BRP.
Saved my a$$ each time!
Will never ride without the ABS!

You can not outperform it! Especially under pressure!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds as if he was dreaming. 18 wheeler making a panic stop and he locked up the front wheel.
Sounds like the 18 wheeler was stopped or slowing down and he took a little nap.
I, for one, have never ridden while fatigued or distracted. Never been surprised by anything.

I'm just that good!
:roll:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car without ABS

I wouldn't buy a car without ABS so why would I buy motorcycle, a vehicle that I am more likely to be injured on, without ABS?

I learned years ago when I was invited to a GM test track to test drive vehicles equipped ABS brakes. Since these were test vehicles the ABS systems could be turned on and off with the flip of a switch. The difference in vehicle handling with ABS vs non-ABS with simulated hazards on wet and oil soaked pavement was like night and day. With ABS you could stop, without locking up and maintain steering of the vehicle. Without ABS you were just an out of control careening mass of metal.

ABS should be standard on all the big bikes, especially the Gold Wing. After all most Gold Wing riders own a Gold Wing because it is the best two up bike out there. You owe it to your passanger to have ABS.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
If I wanted to purchase a certain model motorcycle and ABS was not available on that model, I would still purchase the Bike.

But, If ABS was available, I would purchase only the ABS model unless there was an operational consideration not to.

I have been on this board long enough to hear all of the Stellar drivers argue that ABS is worthless, that ABS is for poop heads etc. That is their opinion, and they are welcome to it.

Bulldog

·
Registered
334 Posts
I heard if you install a CT, you don't need ABS ?

A

·
0 Posts
I like it when folks say they have been riding for X number of years, or have owned X number of bikes and have never had ABS so they obviously don't need it now. So tell me, are your reaction times a fast as they were in the 60s or 70s? Can you keep your cool as well now as you could back then? I think not. You may have been a god of bike riding in your teens and 20s, some even into their 30s, but buddy, those days are behind you. It's not unmanly to have a bike with ABS but it can sure ruin your day if you don't.

For those who still are a god of riding, do you think it is maybe just slightly possible one or two of the thousands of riders who have been killed or seriously injured when someone pulled out in front of them might have also been riding gods? Bad things don't just happen to other people. Unless you have a signed agreement with the devil you too can fail no matter how good you think you are. There is nothing wrong with admitting this. ABS can help even the gods if they are having a bad day.

Also, it can be a great aid to the novice when learning how to threshold brake. He can keep on squeezing without fear of locking the front and going down. As long as the novice does practice, the ABS can safely shorten the learning curve and make him/her a better rider. The only down side is the extra cost but then, what is your life worth?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
A wet foggy morning, you could see about 30 feet. A deer came floating out of the fog from the left side of the road.

They worked well. Glad I had them.

Anything stupid I have done it. I have almost run into the back of a vehicle like the rally guy did. We are human. And boy does it happen fast. !!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Oh no, the ABS debate again :(

I like it when folks say they have been riding for X number of years, or have owned X number of bikes and have never had ABS so they obviously don't need it now.* So tell me, are your reaction times a fast as they were in the 60s or 70s?* Can you keep your cool as well now as you could back then?* I think not.* You may have been a god of bike riding in your teens and 20s, some even into their 30s, but buddy, those days are behind you.* It's not unmanly to have a bike with ABS but it can sure ruin your day if you don't.* *

For those who still are a god of riding, do you think it is maybe just slightly possible one or two of the thousands of riders who have been killed or seriously injured when someone pulled out in front of them might have also been riding gods?* Bad things don't just happen to other people.* Unless you have a signed agreement with the devil you too can fail no matter how good you think you are.* There is nothing wrong with admitting this.* ABS can help even the gods if they are having a bad day.* *

Also, it can be a great aid to the novice when learning how to threshold brake.* He can keep on squeezing without fear of locking the front and going down.* As long as the novice does practice, the ABS can safely shorten the learning curve and make him/her a better rider. The only down side is the extra cost but then, what is your life worth?
Well I really hate to be the one to break the news to you, if the situation was just right, even with ABS & air bag, you may still end up dead!!! Not being a smart a$$, just saying :shrug: Sure there will always be a first time but in my 33 years on the road without ABS, I must be blessed to have not had an issue yet. Only "YOU" can keep you safe, ABS should never be relied on but is there to help.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
True. It is difficult for me to understand why people buy new bikes without ABS, then spend tons of money on farkles. To each his own, but to me ABS is a no brainer, particularly on a large touring bike.

:agree: Those that argue against getting it, are usually just too cheap to buy it! There is no other reason to justify not getting one, really! And then, everyone wants an ABS bike for re-sale! Go figure! Only ABS & airbag GL1800 models for purchase new in Canada. Safety first & all that . . . :thumbup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I couldn't afford an ABS bike at the time I bought my Wing, and I felt pretty bad about it.

Thanks for reminding me of that feeling. :cry:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts