GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a problem (on my '05) with the ABS light not turning off, but flashing when I start moving, somtimes. This has been going on for about 2 years. My extended warranty runs out at the end of Oct, so it's in the shop at Honda of Tulsa. They have reported it to Honda of America, but can't find the source of the problem. They couldn't duplicate the problem, but when I picked up my bike, it did it leaving the parking lot! I turned around and gave it back to them. They have seen it do this themselves now. Hope Honda will authorize replacement of parts until it's fixed.
Have any of you had this problem? The ABS light never comes back on after the initial start check makes it go out. Only when I begin to roll after starting the bike.
:shrug:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,374 Posts
The ABS system has it's own set of error codes. Have they retrieved the error code? Do they know how to read the service manual? Here is the procedure:

RETRIEVAL:
1. Remove the No. 3 and 4 control motor fuses with the ignition switch
turned to “OFF” to be sure that each fuse is not burned out.
• If either fuse is burned out, perform the troubleshooting of problem
code “4” (No. 3 fuse) or “5” (No. 4 fuse) without installing the fuse.
2. Turn the ignition switch to “ON.” The ABS indicator should come
on.
3. Wait for 5 seconds and the ABS indicator goes off.
4. Install either the No. 3 or the No. 4 fuse immediately after the ABS
indicator goes off (within 3 seconds).
5. The problem code is indicated by the number of times the ABS indicator
blinks.

NOTE: If they install the other fuse while it's blinking it will erase the error code, the key has to be turned off before reinstalling the second fuse to retain the code in memory. After getting the code, there's a chart in the manual that will tell them where to look for the problem.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Error code

TD2000
Yes. the error code is 4. They were able to make the problem repete, so they are keeping my scooter until Tuesday when they can talk to Mother Honda. When I tested it for a code a month ago, it showed a code 4 also. We'll see what comes of further testing Tuesday. I use my bike for going to work everyday, so I'll be looking forward to getting it back soon. The riding weather is perfect now.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,374 Posts
TD2000
Yes. the error code is 4. They were able to make the problem repete, so they are keeping my scooter until Tuesday when they can talk to Mother Honda. When I tested it for a code a month ago, it showed a code 4 also. We'll see what comes of further testing Tuesday. I use my bike for going to work everyday, so I'll be looking forward to getting it back soon. The riding weather is perfect now.
OK, I don't understand why dealer mechanics have to call mother Honda, when mother Honda gave them a step by step troubleshooting procedure that will narrow down the problem to the exact bad component or wire. I could understand this problem if Honda just gave them the schematic and said "figure it out on your own", but the troubleshooting for the ABS system is pretty straight-forward. :shrug: I hope they get you fixed soon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I don't understand why dealer mechanics have to call mother Honda, when mother Honda gave them a step by step troubleshooting procedure that will narrow down the problem to the exact bad component or wire. I could understand this problem if Honda just gave them the schematic and said "figure it out on your own", but the troubleshooting for the ABS system is pretty straight-forward. :shrug: I hope they get you fixed soon. :thumbup:
I think they have to get authorization to replace componets under warranty when it's intermittent.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Progress

Honda of Tulsa called me yesterday to say the problem became hard and the "front module" was at fault and would be replaced under my extened warranty. :excited: It's going to take 4 days to get the part, :cry: so here I wait. We'll see if that fixes it after I get it back. :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It may be fixed

Honda of Tulsa told me today my bike is fixed!! I'll pick it up after work this evening. I think they replaced the ABS control module, I'll know when I get the paperwork. It's a $999.95 part. I can safely say the extended warranty I bought from HDL was worth it. My warranty will expire Oct 30th. Going on a three day ride Friday, so I'll have a good chance to test their repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts