·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why my ABS light would start flashing after backing up

·
Registered
358 Posts
It goes away when you start moving forward right? I just thought this was kind of a bug. Mine doesn't really flash, but it sticks on sometimes when I back down the driveway, or before I start moving forward.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it has stayed on

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
abs

Fun42,

Sorry, I don't have ABS and you probably already realize that your ABS probably isn't working. Do you have a service manual for it. That usually includes the trouble shooting sequence. Someone should be along soon with more info for you.

Richard

·
Registered
4,091 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Another simple thing to check: check tire pressures front and back and adjust if necessary.

Couple of times I had been remiss in checking pressures and figured it out when ABS light came on. (Changes in tire pressures change the tire circumference and hence the relative rotation rates which makes the ABS computer think something ain't kosher with the ABS system.)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Another simple thing to check: check tire pressures front and back and adjust if necessary.

Couple of times I had been remiss in checking pressures and figured it out when ABS light came on. (Changes in tire pressures change the tire circumference and hence the relative rotation rates which makes the ABS computer think something ain't kosher with the ABS system.)

Jim.with all due respect.No way..

Darksiders guys run tires that aren't OEM OD all the time and no such thing has happened.
I think it was just a coincidence what you found,but not the cause of why the light came on.
In the past I have had a dusty sensor on my own and two other bikes that triggered the ABS light.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
No it has stayed on
I knew someone else that had that problem or a similar one and it had to do with him backing up at a speed greater then 6mph. Does it do it when you back up slower?

I am going from memory here from a 7yo conversation. The senerio is not covered in the Service Manual probably because it is assumed that the m/c will always be traveling forward at that speed.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Jim.with all due respect.No way..

Darksiders guys run tires that aren't OEM OD all the time and no such thing has happened.
I think it was just a coincidence what you found,but not the cause of why the light came on.
In the past I have had a dusty sensor on my own and two other bikes that triggered the ABS light.
Rocky: I certainly understand the skepticism but it has happened at least twice and the ONLY thing done that resolved the ABS warning light was adjusting air pressure. Not sure what else it could be.

Since tires change size as they wear and people obviously replace tires with others that are not EXACTLY the same size (even Darksiders), the ABS system probably uses a change in relative rotational rates (between front and rear) to detect sensor or electronic failures so maybe it is triggered by a change in the front/back ratio over some period.

Who knows, gremlins abound around me (probably due to global warming or the Federal Reserve)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts