GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2006
ABS light on solid, thats all I know right now. I pulled and inspected the front sensor, was clean ok. I have a manual and will be trying to trace the problem. Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Trouble shooting always starts with pulling the problem code.

Service Manual > Anti-Lock Brake System

Once there in the first few pages is a RETRIEVAL/ERASURE OF PROBLEM CODE

What is your problem code ???

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg for getting back,

I haven't check anything yet, but last night I read the EMT circuit operation and the book says--------
"An indicator that remains on means that the control unit is not able to determine what circuit or component is faulty."

Will there still be a code stored?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a similar problem. My bike is an 01 with the ABS light starting to flash at about 158K. The light would come on after I rode a while, sometimes 5 mi. other times 50 or more. I pulled the code which was the rear sensor. I took the sensor out and cleaned it, checked the clearance and alignment. I put it back together with no improvement. I was riding it that way for about 6k mi. and the light came on full time and never goes out with the ign. on. I got a replacement sensor and installed it this winter. I have put it back together and the light is still on constantly. It will not go off to obtain a code with the fuses out. Not sure what to do. The bike runs and rides great other than the light on.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok fred, followed the code retrieval.

Blinks, 2sec-on, 3sec-off 2-on, 3-off, keeps repeating this.
Which I believe means no codes stored.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Thanks Greg for getting back,

I haven't check anything yet, but last night I read the EMT circuit operation and the book says--------
"An indicator that remains on means that the control unit is not able to determine what circuit or component is faulty."

Will there still be a code stored?
I'm not sure. Basically, your system is failing it "self-diagnostic test" and hopefully prior to the light always staying on, something in the system may have intermittently failed and stored a code. Here is how Honda describes it.

SUMMARY OF ABS PRE-START SELF-DIAGNOSIS SYSTEM
The ABS pre-start self-diagnosis system diagnoses the electrical system as well as the operating status of the modulator. When there is any abnormality, the problem and associated part can be detected by reading the problem code.
When the vehicle speed is approximately 10 km/h (6 mph) or more, the wheel speed sensor signal is sent to the ABS con- trol module, then the ABS pre-start self-diagnosis system operates the control motor on the modulator, checks the crank angle condition with the ABS control module and thus detects whether the modulator operation is normal, and it com- pletes the pre-start self-diagnosis.
When the ABS is normal, the ABS indicator goes off just after a road speed of 10 km/h (6 mph) indicating that the diagnosis is completed.
If a problem is detected, the ABS indicator blinks or comes on and stays on to notify the rider of the problem. The self- diagnosis is also made while the motorcycle is running, and the indicator blinks when a problem is detected.
When the indicator blinks, the cause of the problem can be identified by retrieving the problem code, follow the specified retrieval procedure (page 17-6).

To diagnose, Service Manual > Anti-Lock Brake System > Troubleshooting > Problem code 2 and 8.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Greg,
So the control unit is not able to determine what circuit is faulting.
Any ideas the direction I should look.
Am I looking at a Control Unit.

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Just a guess, but since your bike is a 2006, I have to ask if the sensors are original.
After this many years, if the light that actually says ABS on it is lit, you might have a low battery in one or both sensors.
I know that If the ABS controller can not establish coms with a sensor, the light will stay on solid.
My 2010 has a low battery in the rear sensor now and the ABS light comes on.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I guess Im little confused,

A code pattern should be .25sec blinks, on then off, how many depends on which code.
A no code pattern should be 2sec on, 2sec off continuously.

In get Blinks, 2sec-on, 3sec-off 2-on, 3-off, keeps repeating this.

I reading page 17-9 in manual.

I get the latter, 2on-2off

Also moh58, ABS sensors are magnet induction sensors, no batteries.

If a sensor gap is to wide or dirty and not getting a signal will there be a code?

I'm replacing the rear tire so I'll check ABS connection at the control unit

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Just a guess, but since your bike is a 2006, I have to ask if the sensors are original.
After this many years, if the light that actually says ABS on it is lit, you might have a low battery in one or both sensors.
I know that If the ABS controller can not establish coms with a sensor, the light will stay on solid.
My 2010 has a low battery in the rear sensor now and the ABS light comes on.
I think your thinking of the TMPS system. He has issue is with his anti-lock braking system.

Reactions: moh58

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Ok I guess Im little confused,

A code pattern should be .25sec blinks, on then off, how many depends on which code.
A no code pattern should be 2sec on, 2sec off continuously.

In get Blinks, 2sec-on, 3sec-off 2-on, 3-off, keeps repeating this.

I reading page 17-9 in manual.

I get the latter, 2on-2off

Also moh58, ABS sensors are magnet induction sensors, no batteries.

If a sensor gap is to wide or dirty and not getting a signal will there be a code?

I'm replacing the rear tire so I'll check ABS connection at the control unit

You could be correct. Try erasing the code and try pulling codes again to see what you get.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
I have a couple questions. Has your bike been stored for a long time, and do you have any problems with mice where the bike is parked? I'm wondering if possibly you have some chewed wires in your harness that may be causing this.

ABS problems on this bike are pretty rare, and most of the ones I've heard about were traced to faulty wheel (hall effect) sensors or wiring issues.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I think your thinking of the TMPS system. He has issue is with his anti-lock braking system.
You are correct.
Allergy meds are kicking my brain into neutral I guess.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are correct.
Allergy meds are kicking my brain into neutral I guess.
Hey no worries. I know what you mean, the Sacramento valley with all the farming its probably the worst place to live with allergies.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Greg and Fred.

I did erase the code and I got the same results.

The seller put in a new battery so that believes me it was stored for quite awhile. Also the tire pressure was very low.

Im replacing the rear tire and all the brakes so I will look close at the sensors/wiring.

One point I haven't told you, the truck has moldy smell so water got in there at one time. So when I pull the fender I will make sure no water went into the Control Unit connector.

I really appreciate all your assistance.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Hey no worries. I know what you mean, the Sacramento valley with all the farming its probably the worst place to live with allergies.
With Austin Texas a close second!

Reactions: rtbmrgl
1 - 20 of 32 Posts