GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause the ABS to operate on normal stopping and not skidding? Several times today I felt the ABS with its unmistakeable high speed vibrating on a normal stop. It happened when applying the rear brake below 20 mph and not every time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Silver Stallion said:
What would cause the ABS to operate on normal stopping and not skidding? Several times today I felt the ABS with its unmistakeable high speed vibrating on a normal stop. It happened when applying the rear brake below 20 mph and not every time.
The ABS works as a sensor and timing system (roughly) and determines, based on your speed when the next pulse should be recieved from the sensor at the wheel in question. If it feels it is too long it then assumes wheel may have stopped (skidding) so releases the brake and reapplies it.

In your case it may be working correctly or one or both wheel sensors may be loose or incorrectly aligned. :oops:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Silver Stallion said:
What would cause the ABS to operate on normal stopping and not skidding? Several times today I felt the ABS with its unmistakeable high speed vibrating on a normal stop. ....
Obviously the tire was trying to skid and the ABS was just doing its job.

If you think otherwise, please explain the "unmistakeable high speed vibrating" to us.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think what you're feeling is the common 'rear brake shutter'. It happens with both ABS and non-ABS when only the rear brake is applied.

To verify, next time it happens, try applying the front brake a little and it will go away. A lot of people have reported this problem. It is believed by some to be caused by the front left caliper chattering the secondary master cylinder. It's a linked brake problem.

John

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I had that problem once. Yeah, just once... started half a block from the house and continued all the way into the driveway. Was on the same conditions described... about 20mph or so, rear brake only (just slowing down) and was like driving over a washboard. Never happened again.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
blizardj said:
I think what you're feeling is the common 'rear brake shutter'. It happens with both ABS and non-ABS when only the rear brake is applied.... It's a linked brake problem.
I've never had that happen to me... yet.

But I would think it would be much different than the feel of the ABS kicking in. No?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've purposely kicked in ABS on wet pavement. I could not tell it engaged, other than the wheel did not stop turning. Or... let me say. I've stood on the rear brake pedal with everything I've had...250lbs of weight. And IF ABS came on, I could not tell, by feel. And beings the pavement was wet, you would think the Goldwing would have good enough brakes to lock up the rear wheel, if ABS didn't kick in.

John

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blizardg described it exactly. When this occured it felt like I was running over a washboard, let up on the brake and it went away. He is correct when he said, apply the front brake and it went away. I did that today and that was exactly how it worked. Funny how that happened several years ago and not until now did it happen again. I should mention that I just replaced all brake pads. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Could have something to do with new pads. Usually, it seems to be more prevelant in hot weather, but not only then.

With mine, it did it constantly for about three months, then went away. I started making sure I used both brakes and I haven't really noticed it for a year or so.

I instrumented my bike and tied three microphones into a computer that graphed what noises the calipers were making. It appreared like the left front caliper was the one that was vibrating. Never figured out a way to stop it. In the end it was just easier to use both brakes and not worry about it. :D

Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
143 Posts
ABS operation

Are we just using the rear brake to check the system or is this your normal procedure? When I stop I'm grabbing everything. Just an observation from reading the link.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bLIZARDJ,
Thanks, I'd rather do it that way than worry about replacing something that may or not be bad some of the times.

TOM,
I usually use both brakes, but when slowly rolling up to a red lite or stop sign, I apply the rear gently until almost stop then use the front to get ready to put my feet down.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Blizardj

I have tried to engage the ABS. I am curious what sensation(s) there is (are) when it engages. I want to experience it under a controlled situation so that in the event it engages in an emergeny situation, I know what is going on. I hit both the front and rear brakes with all the force I could apply, at 45 MPH, on a poorly surfaced road. Nothing happened! I did it 3 times. I went away thinking that the ABS did engage with no noticable indications.

Possible?

I guess I could do it on wet pavement, or toss some sand on the road, bad I am not that brave (foolish)?

·
Registered
410 Posts
lovetoride

Your experience is the same as mine.

You said---"Nothing happened! I did it 3 times."

Yes, something did happen. Your wheels did not lock up---ABS---Anti Lock Brakes.

Yes, ABS did engage, or the wheels would have stopped turning.

I could not tell anything happened either. Except... I know in my heart that the brakes should have locked up. I know I applied them hard enough, it was a wet road. There is no way, they should not have locked...Except for the ABS.

John

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Mine will do the shudder thing when I have been riding aggresive. After it cools down a little its fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts