GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is a VERY touchy subject here in my brief time of looking over this board and I am not trying to inflame a controversy! However, I am thinking very seriously about getting a Wing and the ABS decision is obviously a big issue, especially since on the '07's the ABS is mated to the Navi. So, I'd really appreciate your thoughts, as I have never ridden a bike with ABS. AT first thought, it seems like a great idea to me. However, I know that there are a LOT of very skilled riders with years of experience and knowledge (lots more than me :) ) who think very different.

I am really looking for the safety issues both for and against. That is really the bottom line. To this point in time, I have never even come close to locking up a rear tire, but you never know.

Thanks much for your thoughts!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
ok let the non riders here whine that they and their friends crashed due to locked wheel bla bla bla,rider error plain and simple but...............

if you only need it once its well worth it to have it!!!!!!

my vote is get it!

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
#1. If you saw what they can do, you wouldn't have to ask! LOL....

#2. You can't be 100% on top of your game 100% of the time.

#3. It's like insurance or a tool. If you need them you have them.

#4. They operate exactly like the non-ABS brakes until a wheel tries to lock.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I can't think of any safety issues caused by not having ABS.

I look at it this way:

• * From what I've read on here, a technical rider who practices constantly can outperform ABS under most circumstances.
    * I'm not a "technical rider".
    * I do not hit the skid pad for practice on a weekly, monthly or even yearly basis.
    * If having ABS gives me a chance to make it through even one screwup on my part during the life of the bike, it was worth it IMHO.
And this is even if I HAVE to take Honda's NAV system which I don't want.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I probably am a lone voice here, but I felt like the ABS was a luxury when I bought my Wing.

I probably wouldn't buy a car without ABS, but the only times I can think of ABS being really effective is when I was driving on snow or ice. I might be a fair weather biker, but I don't plan to have my Wing out in the snow or ice.

Just one man's opinion

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
sa1lng said:
I probably wouldn't buy a car without ABS, but the only times I can think of ABS being really effective is when I was driving on snow or ice. I might be a fair weather biker, but I don't plan to have my Wing out in the snow or ice.
I have had ABS save my butt in my truck, on dry pavement. If it can do the same on the Wing, and I have heard no credible evidence in opposition, I can see no reason not to get it. It will probably be standard equipment on the Wing in the near future. I vote buy with ABS.

Rock on.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
I've survived 40 years without ABS, I guess I'll survive a few more without it. 8) 8)

People with ABS might tend to rely on it too much, and over ride and abuse the brakes. :shock:

later..Randy

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I teach new riders, & practice all the time.
It does give you slight more confidence in an emergency situation, and that in itself can assist you in avoiding an accident.
As previously mentioned, you onlly need it once to pay for itself.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have it and would buy it again. I didn't want to have any of those thoughts of laying crumpled on the cold hard pavement wondering if ABS would have helped save the pain. I might still feel the pain, but I'll feel better knowing that it wasn't because I scrimped.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you can afford the extra cost then get it. It makes the bike that much safer period.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Dive Master said:
would you buy a new car without ABS?
Yes, see my list of vehicles below. ABS was not even an option on the top of the line model of Jeep I purchased.

When it comes to my non-abs wing I can lock the front wheel at will and not crash. It takes practice that I got when riding dirt bikes. The key is to NOT panic. As soon as you let off the front brake the wheel starts turning again and you have all your control back.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I agree with most all the posts here to my question. I was just curious why there are so many people dead set against it, like there is a safety concern by having it. I was never able to come up with a problem that ABS would present, unless maybe a reduced braking speed due to the ABS reducing braking efficiency. Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate them!

Wait till I bring up the Air bag question :p !! That should stir the fire a little.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I think for some naysayers it's an ego thing - either that or they can't afford it. They brag that they rely on their skill and imply others have no skill. I don't know. What I see usually comes up whenever any safety feature is brought up is the nonsense idea that it means the rider doesn't have to pay attention anymore - that the rider will get too complacent because of their ABS, helmet, airbag, deer whistles, etc. Red is right on that no one can be 100% 100% of the time. No matter what safety items you may have the goal should always be not to need it. If for some reason you do need it, it's there.

At the top of the page, right below the banner, second item from the left, you can see a "Search" link. Use it. You'll find the fire has been stirred many times already on ABS as well as airbags and countless other topics seemingly every week. :wink:

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts