GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What started as an intermittent blinking ABS light on the way to Wing Ding in 2007 final brought me into the dealer today. It was really infrequent until this spring. Since the beginning, I’ve had a code 12 when I checked it. Most of the time, the blinking stopped by cycling the key off/on, or resetting the fault code memory. This spring, the fault came in more frequently and stayed blinking even after cycling the key. I called the dealer and he said to stop by when the fault was up. Today I stopped. The mechanic listened to what I had found with the codes and agreed with my probable assessment that the ABS Controller Module needed replaced. He said they needed the bike for some additional testing, and that Mother Honda would surely be interested as the warrantee replacement module is $700 and he doesn’t recall ever having to replace one on a wing.

I’ll bring it back Monday, but was wondering if I should remove the speedohealer prior to dropping it off. I think Fred said one of the signal is through the speedometer, and I don’t want them to say this device adversely effected the ABS.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sitting here looking at the Book...the Service Manual. Mine is for 2006-08.

The ABS system does not appear to use the vehicle speed sensor. That is on the right side crankcase. The ABS gets it signals from the reluctors on the front and rear wheels.

The book states that the ABS controller could have been disrupted by "an extremely powerful radio wave"

What could cause that, I have no idea. Bad ignition wire?. Bad spark coil?

It says to erase the problem code and the ABS module is fine unless the problem recurs.

Other possible causes listed are foreign matter in modulator. Perhaps a brake fluid flush.

And since it is an intermittent problem, is could also be a loose connector. Maybe someone at the factory plugged in the connector but it didn't snap in and lock. They have been known to have problems getting the hose clamps tight enough.

Anyway, it is Honda's technical and financial problem, since it is under warranty. And since it does involve the brakes, the getting it fixed right is priceless.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Pull it
TAke it in
Warranty

·
Registered
477 Posts
Pull it. Otherwise, you'll be sad you did'nt pull it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once I finish my first cup of coffee this morning, it's out to the bike to pull the speedohealer. It only take a minute or two and should save me hours of explaining. What's really sad is I got a GPS after the speedohealer, and use that for my speed. I set the speedohealer up for odometer correction.

Thanks all for the feedback.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speedohealer is removed. I had to take the top shelter off to get to the harness, so I removed a HID relay that wasn't being used as well. I've been having some troubles shifting, and track that down to the Kuryakan heel/toe shifter, so the boards are off too.

She's ready for her first overnight in the shop. Not sure what I'll do without a bike. It's going to be a long week.........:cry:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Good luck on the outcome! We all will be looking for the next update.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well....the dealer cleared the ABS codes Monday and drove around. No blinking. They said they rode around a little Tuesday and Wednesday as well and still don't have any blinking. I told them I'd pick it up later today. My guess is I'll get about home (about 45 miles) and it'll start blinking. I'll then bring it back to them to fix.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Probably the healer .....:shrug:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drove to the shop before work tonight to pick the bike up. Mechanic said he rode it three different days for about 30 mile and did not have any issues. I put the Zumo into the craddle and took off for work going the opposite direction of the wife. Got about 1 mile and it started to blink, so I turned around and returned to the dealer. The mechanic had a profound look on is face when I walked through the door. He still says he hasn't hear of many issues with the ABS. I told him it's pretty limited if the trouble code contiuously comes up 12, the manual says it's the control module. He was going to call a guy in California to discuss. He's confussed because it's an intermintant issue and believes if it's electrical, it should be a total failure. Needly to saw the wife wasn't happy after 100 miles and 2 hours of messing around.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Drove to the shop before work tonight to pick the bike up. Mechanic said he rode it three different days for about 30 mile and did not have any issues. I put the Zumo into the craddle and took off for work going the opposite direction of the wife. Got about 1 mile and it started to blink, so I turned around and returned to the dealer. The mechanic had a profound look on is face when I walked through the door. He still says he hasn't hear of many issues with the ABS. I told him it's pretty limited if the trouble code contiuously comes up 12, the manual says it's the control module. He was going to call a guy in California to discuss. He's confussed because it's an intermintant issue and believes if it's electrical, it should be a total failure. Needly to saw the wife wasn't happy after 100 miles and 2 hours of messing around.
"Member of Dark Sider International #0011"

Maybe you should go with a stock tire as well and see if that might the problem :shrug::popcorn:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Already had the bike tire on. Thanks for your comments.:nojoke:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been calling the shop daily for up-dates. He's been stumped. Today he told me they are installing a different ECM. Said it wouldn't have any coded in it, and would help with figuring out the problem. At least they're doing something. More to come....

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Could be your rear tire

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know......that OEM Dunlop 250 is a real troublemaker.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
..... I put the Zumo into the cradle and took off for .......
Just an off-the-wall suggestion::shrug:

Try riding the bike without the Zumo.

Maybe the Zumo is RFI-ing your ABS ECM....

Really doubt it, but either way you eliminate it as a possible source. Electronics have been known to do some funny things.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts