GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been considering upgrading from my 2004 ABS to a 2015-2017 Goldwing. I find very few Leftover or used ABS bikes on the market.

Was the ABS such a poor seller originally or guys just won’t let go of them?

In 15 yrs on mine I don’t recall activating the ABS (maybe didn’t understand if I did) Is it worth searching further or an unnecessary expense?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I still don't like ABS. Have it on a 2014 Jeep Wrangler and all it seems to do is release the brakes in slippery conditions increasing braking distance, , have it on the 2017 Yamaha and it seems ok I guess, have rear wheel ABS on a 1997 Ford F350, whoa, don't use this unless you desire to rear end every vehical in front. I'm happy my 08 goldwing has regular brakes and prefer it that way.

·
Administrator
3,728 Posts
In well over 300,000 miles on my last Wing, most of them pulling a trailer I have had a couple of times in which I am positive that I activated the ABS for I was in full panic-stop "grab all the brakes I can" mode. I neither locked the brakes nor hit the obstacle in front of me.

I'll never buy a large road motorcycle without ABS. It's like my American Express and my pistol. I never leave home without it, and I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

The salespeople at the few dealerships with which I am familiar do not push ABS. Instead it takes an informed rider to demand ABS.

Glen

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I was just getting ready to start a thread on the Goldwings brakes when I came upon this thread, so I'll just share my thoughts here. I have a 09 Non ABS version Goldwing. I made a conscious decision to purchase the Non ABS version because I had been riding motorcycles for forty years without ABS at the time I purchased it and i have never regretted it. Today that decision was put to the test more than anytime I've owned this bike. My wife and I was without grandchildren for the first time in a while and no pressing chores to do, so we decided to take a nice long ride. As we were traveling down the interstate we came upon a fork in the road where it split into another route, as we veered on to the route we were taking, another car in front of us came to that decision late and cut across the grass separating the two routes directly in front of us and slammed on his brakes as he re-entered the hiway in front of oncoming traffic. It was one of the hardest braking episodes I've had on the Wing, and all it did was stop quickly, under control and with no drama.

Later in the ride we were behind a tractor trailer truck on a two lane road with a turning lane. Without a signal the semi moved to the turning lane, as we were passing his rear wheels the truck made a right turn back across our lane without warning. Again the motorcycle came to a rapid and controlled stop, no drama.

Lastly as we were returning home down a two lane quiet residential street, a car backed out into the street without any attempt to see if anything was coming, never even turned his head. Sounds like a broken record, but all the bike did was stop, as it has every time I've needed it to. It just felt like everyone was out to get me today, ive always thought that the standard Goldwings brakes were good, but after a day like today I have a much greater appreciation of them.

I don't know your riding experience or style, only you can make that decision. Nothing against ABS, But I will say that the standard Goldwings linked brakes is very good. I don't feel any less safe without it.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I was just getting ready to start a thread on the Goldwings brakes when I came upon this thread, so I'll just share my thoughts here. I have a 09 Non ABS version Goldwing. I made a conscious decision to purchase the Non ABS version because I had been riding motorcycles for forty years without ABS at the time I purchased it and i have never regretted it. Today that decision was put to the test more than anytime I've owned this bike. My wife and I was without grandchildren for the first time in a while and no pressing chores to do, so we decided to take a nice long ride. As we were traveling down the interstate we came upon a fork in the road where it split into another route, as we veered on to the route we were taking, another car in front of us came to that decision late and cut across the grass separating the two routes directly in front of us and slammed on his brakes as he re-entered the hiway in front of oncoming traffic. It was one of the hardest braking episodes I've had on the Wing, and all it did was stop quickly, under control and with no drama.

Later in the ride we were behind a tractor trailer truck on a two lane road with a turning lane. Without a signal the semi moved to the turning lane, as we were passing his rear wheels the truck made a right turn back across our lane without warning. Again the motorcycle came to a rapid and controlled stop, no drama.

Lastly as we were returning home down a two lane quiet residential street, a car backed out into the street without any attempt to see if anything was coming, never even turned his head. Sounds like a broken record, but all the bike did was stop, as it has every time I've needed it to. It just felt like everyone was out to get me today, ive always thought that the standard Goldwings brakes were good, but after a day like today I have a much greater appreciation of them.

I don't know your riding experience or style, only you can make that decision. Nothing against ABS, But I will say that the standard Goldwings linked brakes is very good. I don't feel any less safe without it.

I gather your experience described above was all on dry pavement. Not only a testament to good brakes, but tires with excellent traction, and an experienced rider. I suspect most of us, especially with two riders, on a GW would be hard pressed (no pun intended) to lock up the brakes on our GW's with that much weight on the tires riding on dry pavement. ABS is usually not going to come into play under these conditions.

A rain soaked, leaves everywhere, slick road.... that could be a different story. For most of us, ABS is only going to come in play under such conditions. I have an ABS bike. I do not rely on it. If I do braking under any of these conditions, I will try to do so without thinking the ABS will "back me up". Nor should anyone else who has an ABS bike. I have two other bikes without ABS... I ride all my bikes the same, knowing if I feel a tire is locking up, I have to be ready to release and reapply. The difference is, likely I won't ever feel a tire is locking up on the GW.

I too feel ABS is not a deal breaker on getting a bike, be aware of what you are riding. But, ABS is a plus to have. It's like having steel toe shoes... you'll likely never need it, if you know what you are doing.:wink2:

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I gather your experience described above was all on dry pavement. Not only a testament to good brakes, but tires with excellent traction, and an experienced rider. I suspect most of us, especially with two riders, on a GW would be hard pressed (no pun intended) to lock up the brakes on our GW's with that much weight on the tires riding on dry pavement. ABS is usually not going to come into play under these conditions.

A rain soaked, leaves everywhere, slick road.... that could be a different story. For most of us, ABS is only going to come in play under such conditions. I have an ABS bike. I do not rely on it. If I do braking under any of these conditions, I will try to do so without thinking the ABS will "back me up". Nor should anyone else who has an ABS bike. I have two other bikes without ABS... I ride all my bikes the same, knowing if I feel a tire is locking up, I have to be ready to release and reapply. The difference is, likely I won't ever feel a tire is locking up on the GW.

I too feel ABS is not a deal breaker on getting a bike, be aware of what you are riding. But, ABS is a plus to have. It's like having steel toe shoes... you'll likely never need it, if you know what you are doing.:wink2:
Actually the first incident was under a light drizzle, the other two under dry conditions. But I have had to brake hard under wet conditions before, I agree this is the area where ABS shines. You're spot on about you have to be aware of what you're riding. I personally feel that ABS is less of a benefit to more experienced riders and those with a mixture of ABS and Non ABS motorcycles because it is not instinctive for experienced riders to grab the brakes as hard as you can and let the computer do the work. If I only had a ABS motorcycle I probably could retrain myself to ignore all I've ever learned about threshold braking and gain the full potential of the ABS system. Riding as long as I have I have had to compensate for a variety of braking deficiencies, drum brakes, stretched cables, rear brakes only, etc. being aware of what you're riding and it's capabilities is very important, but Hondas linked braking is by far the best brakes I've ever had the benefit of having, I know there are more capable systems out there, but I don't have a problem with this one.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I completely agree, I've made plenty of very hard stops and my no ABS 2008 Wing (with 107,000 miles) has always stopped straight, fast and without any drama. The linked brakes on our Wings really are excellent. However, when and if I buy another Goldwing it WILL have ABS, just in case.:wink2:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
In my opinion, The non-ABS brakes on a Gl1800 are excellent to say the least.

I do believe the ABS are even better.

I won’t trade my non-ABS 2013 out for an ABS version just to get the ABS. However, my next bike in the modern full size heavy weight touring category will have ABS.

I have had one lockup at 50+ mph due to a bear and cubs crossing a road. Lots of blue smoke and I stayed up. The GL1800 really handled great for me. When it was all over I wished I had ABS.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
If you think you can stop a Goldwing better without ABS, you spent way too much time posting here instead of riding. When You think your reactions are prefect and faster then a computer controlled device, makes one a fool and a danger on the road.
Seems like a response to a statement that was never made.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I Vote ABS or I won't buy it.

I have ABS and certainly think that 99.9% of riders cannot out brake an ABS computer that thinks and reacts in mili seconds.
I certainly was hoping the new wings would have had the lean control ABS that KTM pioneered several years ago. Panic stops in a high degree turn is certainly a different panic stop than a straight ahead panic stop when "grabbing all the brakes I could!

Like a moose standing broadside in the middle of an Alaskan wet road coming out of a turn on a two lane road pulling a trailer. Glad I had ABS.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I think going forward the debate of Non ABS vs ABS will be a moot point, it's been widely accepted enough that it will be standard equipment on most motorcycles. It certainly doesn't do any harm and is a good add on to increase the manufacturers bottom line.

This is what Hondas 1800 service manual has to say about ABS.

" Many riders will argue that the ABS will stop the motorcycle in a shorter distance. This is not true if the rider is applying the hydraulic service brakes as expertly as possible. Since the ABS essentially releases the brake to regain wheel rotation, application of the ABS must add distance. Too much faith and reliance on ABS may cause a reduction in rider braking skill and may lead to brake “grab”. This would cause a crash in a non-ABS equipped motorcycle by locking the front wheel.
The ABS system should not be used as a substitute for improper braking technique. Only in emergency situations should the ABS be relied upon to stop the motorcycle and then in as straight a line as possible."

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
I certainly was hoping the new wings would have had the lean control ABS that KTM pioneered several years ago. Panic stops in a high degree turn is certainly a different panic stop than a straight ahead panic stop when "grabbing all the brakes I could.
I'm taking a guess you probably will see cornering ABS on the wing within a couple of years.

:doorag:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts