GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has a 2006 with about 20,000miles. The bike has started a loud clicking sound up front behind the headlight. It will do it for maybe ten or fifteen minutes, even when you are riding it. A mechanic at the dealer has said the this was normal and that it was the abs system. It has not been doing this for the first 19k miles. Can someone shed some light on this and why it cannot be fixed? I have a 2006 but it does not have abs so I could not shed any light on this.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
My 05A doesn't do that.. Find a new mechanic.

·
Vendor
18,094 Posts
When does it do it? Under what conditions? While idling when the brakes are applied, under braking, is it there all the time?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have a friend that has a 2006 with about 20,000miles. The bike has started a loud clicking sound up front behind the headlight. It will do it for maybe ten or fifteen minutes, even when you are riding it. A mechanic at the dealer has said the this was normal and that it was the abs system. It has not been doing this for the first 19k miles. Can someone shed some light on this and why it cannot be fixed? I have a 2006 but it does not have abs so I could not shed any light on this.
First thought is headlight adjuster.Its not ABS it will pulse every few minutes and you'll feel it in the brake lever when you have it engaged. 2nd thought is something dragging on the plastic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you start it up it starts. There is 2 knocks together with another two knock every 2 to 3 seconds. Then after it knocks, you can hear something like there is something moving and rubbing against something. After about 10 minutes or so it quits. As I said, it sounds like the noise is right behind the left head light. I wish I could explain it better.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Anoughter master mechanic:rolleyes:
I would sure like to know whats behind the headlight that has anything to do with the brakes:shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Headlight adjuster , one of the stop tabs on the motor assembly has snapped, so it runs all the time, till it wears out the little plastic gears.

There are two of them , one each side.

Could be the main adjustment switch also, but for sure it has by now ate up the little gears.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Anoughter master mechanic
I would sure like to know whats behind the headlight that has anything to do with the brakes
I never said it had anything to do with the brakes, I simply said that the noise described in the original post sounded like a faulty headlight adjuster, nothing more, nothing less.

·
Chard Member
13,060 Posts
I never said it had anything to do with the brakes, I simply said that the noise described in the original post sounded like a faulty headlight adjuster, nothing more, nothing less.
A mechanic at the dealer has said the this was normal and that it was the abs system.
He was referring to the OP, not you! :?

Sounds like the headlight adjuster not stopping. The left one on my '05 just took a poop doing the same thing. Cost me about $50 for a new one. Simple replacement.

Also if he has any headlight modulating stuff maybe that could be it. Don't know, can't hear it from here! LOL...

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
As others have said...sounds like a headlight adjuster. If he can't replace it himself, for God sake don't take it back to that mechanic! :eek:4:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was not referring to your post, but to the first one where he mentioned that a mechinic said it was normal and that it was the ABS system:shrug:

·
Vendor
18,094 Posts
Nothing worst then a mechanic thinking that it is the ABS system and it really being related to the headlights. Why don't they just say, go away we don't wnat your warrentee work?

You could also shine them on a wall, and see if they adjust as expected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts