GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title suggests, we had an absolutely horrible ride from Payson, Bush Highway, Usury Pass and eventually The Apache Trail.

Bill, Jackie, my sweetie and I left Payson around 9:30 under bright, blue skies, with a morning temp right around 56 degrees. Almost no traffic to speak of as we rolled south on the Beeline to Bush Hwy, meeting new friends Steve and Deb F. By the time we hit that interchange, the temp was really rolling along at 65 degrees. Nasty weather with very little wind.

Continued south along the Salt River, waiting for the wild Mustangs to jump the fence line to feed on roadside greenery, but nothing happened. Just lots of sunshine, temps in the mid 60's and no traffic.

We did encounter some fresh road debris on Usury Pass Road, as crews were laying new surface materials, making the road softer with a grippy texture, eliminating all of those tar snakes. Horrible riding conditions.

Brown Road east to The Apache Trail, what can we say? Smooth and wide open with the occasional passenger vehicle tossed in for flavoring.

The Apache Trail was a total bust, as we didn't get the chance to get upset with motorhomes, travel trailers or even boaters. Just a near total absence of other vehicles, while still under those boring, blue skies with a rising temperature.

On an aside, the roadside damage following the Woodbury Fire and subsequent flash flooding did leave a nasty mark upon the low water crossings with eroded gashes on both the upstream and downstream side of the road.

After a lively little road trek we finally arrived at Tortilla Flat pretty close to straight up noon. And still suffering from all that sunshine.

Once again, we became agitated at the lack of Winter Visitor plates, motor coaches and other visitors to the area, getting seated immediately upon our arrival.

BTW, new owners at the restaurant has completely upped their game as far as food goes. It's a bit more expensive, but worth the taste bud popping treats which soon arrived at our table.

I had the new, Brisket Reuben on Rye. It comes with sauerkraut (which I don't care for) and it was left off my sandwich. I do believe I have just found my new and yummiest sandwich. (Sorry Tiny's Cafe in Cameron and Trenton MO. Your Patty Melt has just been replaced!)

Afterwards, we slowly made our way to the Mercantile, where many Stocking Stuffers were picked up.

By then, it was nearly 2pm and we needed to get home.

With a mighty twist of the right hand, our steel stallions were off in a dash, once again suffering from a lack of impedance due to slow, motor coaches and boat trailers. I do believe the highway crew will need to come back just to refresh the road surface due to some "accidental" metallic scuffing left behind.

All the while under brilliantly blue skies and temps in the mid 70's.

Yup, each of us arrived safely home from such a horrible, terrible, nasty experience riding under deplorable conditions. I sure hope we don't have to experience such a day in the future again...

But, all satire aside, a great day to be in the saddle, laughing with friends, both new and old, forging new bonds of closeness based on similar traits. Great food. Awesome Arizona desert scenery. Overall pleasant riding conditions.

So, Bill, Jackie, Steve and Deb F, what's next?

Deep fried Fruit Burritos at The Wisdom's Cafe in Tumacacori?

- David

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I threw my camera in my truck last spring and drove the full length of the Apache trail. What a great day I had. Beautiful country.

You made me go back and look at the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Yep, like David says, it was a terrible experience with all those nasty twisties and hilly areas. The experience was memorable.... being a glutton for punishment, I'm going to have to return some day (during the middle of the week of course) to brush up on my tight cornering abilities. All kidding aside, we had an awesome day, and the weather...... well, let's just say that I'm not missing Chicago area's mid-teen temperatures right now, my signature line says it all:laugh:. We were walking about in tee-shirts, and I would love to send some selfies back to the guys at work in Illinois (eat your hearts out!). I can only wish that in the near future AZDOT will continue the paved road all the way to Roosevelt Lake. Right now, it's off-road vehicle only but I have plans to get such a vehicle soon. :wink2: The lake overlook areas offer a picturesque photo opportunity and the one-lane bridges are always fun. Friendly folks up that way, we were even getting waves from the highway workers as we passed as well as people fishing in their boats in the lakes below. Lots of fun just taking in the scenery and the ever clean air. Everyone owes it to themselves to partake in Tortilla Flat.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
I'm really sorry you and your friends had to go through such an ordeal, best wishes for a complete recovery.:)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Oh man! You retired guys are killing me! I think I could have got away yesterday, though...with the bride! Don’t suffer that rotten Apache Trail all by yourselves!

Did you go on past Tortilla Flat and ride that 5 miles of paved road? That’s the throttle-twisting section.

Yes, soon the gaggle of Minnesota visitors will make that sweet ride....umm...unsweet...

We’re in the desert riding season, and it’s awesome!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dearest David,

My most sincere, (HA!), sympathy for you.
No one should have to put with that kind or ride!
Especially in that kind uf weather, and over those roads!

Horrible!
I was on most of those roads this past summer, and agree, that I had it much better then you>
Lots of slow moving Motorhomes and four wheels.
Temps where better too!
Around 90F to 100F, much Better, (not).

It will only get worse for you.
Sell Scoot now. don't Hesitate, you mite get the Urge to try riding again.
Not Good!
Don't do it!
Sell.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Now i wish would have ridden the Apache Trail when we were in that area last year. I went up through Globe to get to Sedona and Grand Canyon from my daughters in Tucson.

I thought it was excellent yesterday here when it got up to a balmy 45F. Good thing it wasn't sunny or it might have felt hot to me.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
NWS Tucson: "A Pacific storm system will bring a good chance of showers and a few thunderstorms Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday. A stronger and colder system will then bring a chance of valley rain and mountain snow Thursday and Friday. Temperatures will cool to below average by the end of the week; dropping 20 degrees or more by Thursday. "

'Winter' is fast approaching - are you ready?? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
NWS Tucson: "A Pacific storm system will bring a good chance of showers and a few thunderstorms Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday. A stronger and colder system will then bring a chance of valley rain and mountain snow Thursday and Friday. Temperatures will cool to below average by the end of the week; dropping 20 degrees or more by Thursday. "

'Winter' is fast approaching - are you ready?? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
I’m ready for our annual week of winter. I got clean long sleeve T shirts and a pair of pants ready to go. I have a complete list of 3 or 4 winter projects lined up that will take at least a few days.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
I do have an appointment on Friday; hopeful most of the crap will have moved east by then.

If not, the SUV will have a full tank of gas & winter provisions in it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you go on past Tortilla Flat and ride that 5 miles of paved road? That’s the throttle-twisting section. We’re in the desert riding season, and it’s awesome!
Alas, no we did not. The low water crossing just east of the restaurant was closed off due to segments of the Apache Trail west of Apache Lake having washed out following the Woodbury Fire and subsequent monsoon damage.

I like your sentiment about our desert riding season just opening up, especially for the southern portions of our State. Upwards of 12"+ of white moss is expected along the Rim the next 48 hours, with even more at Snowbowl and Sunrise.

- David

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Another 12 hours of this, and we might need an ark...

~1.5" in the last 48 hours, not including what's happened overnight.
I'm glad I'm not at the lowest spot around here. We have standing water in a lot of places I didn't know we had places. :rain1:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My turn to finally check it out was Saturday. Perfect day for it and not the usual weekend of RV road hazards inhibiting the fun in the twisties. The pavement is perfect! The water crossing past Tortilla Flat was running about 3 inches so no problem there. Love the sound of dragging pegs! :LOL:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Looks like a beautiful road and ride. I was stationed at Williams AFB at Chandler in the early 70s and road the Apache Trail from one end to the other many times during the 18 months that I was there. Back then, the pavement stopped at the restaurant at Apache Junction, but the dirt road that continued on was fairly hard packed and very doable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts