GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2007 GoldWing and would like to purchase helmets with an intercom system so my wife and I can communicate as well as listen to music. I have no idea where to begin to look except the local Honda dealer and would prefer to spend less money if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Sena and Cardo are the 2 big names in wireless communications.

Variety to choose from.

Read up on them. You will have people that have either one of those, and swear by what they are using.

Review the write ups from customers then go on line and find the best price.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
If you don't mind having the helmets wired to the bike, J&m Audio has everything you need to install on your helmets, whatever ones you like.. You will have to buy the proper cable for the Goldwing though.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Sena and Cardo are the 2 big names in wireless communications.

Variety to choose from.

Read up on them. You will have people that have either one of those, and swear by what they are using.

Review the write ups from customers then go on line and find the best price.
Swear by or at what they are currently using.
I bought helmets that had a factory Bluetooth system installed. They were ok/fine for me and my wife but we needed something else for communicating with another rider. He bought Cardo PackTalk and so we followed. Good and mostly satisfied, but a few glitches as with all.
Research and choose w/o remorse.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Check the vendor section of this forum. All good companies there. Sierra Electronics can fit you with new helmets and headsets already installed.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Air Rider | Facebook

Air Rider/Ooltewah Outdoor Living
5722 Main Street
P. O. Box 742
Ooltewah, TN 37363
(423) 238-5388

Ask for Matt..........!!

I have a Nolan Helmet with the Air Rider headset and it is excellent.....!!

Oct 18, 2018 Nolan “N40-5” Helmet (XL) # OV30190013 394.95
With Air Rider Headset

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
I recently bought a 2007 GoldWing and would like to purchase helmets with an intercom system so my wife and I can communicate as well as listen to music. I have no idea where to begin to look except the local Honda dealer and would prefer to spend less money if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike
You've received info to this point on wireless (Bluetooth) speaker/headset systems.

Your motorcycle comes with an intercom system built in.

There are still companies that sell wired communications devices to put into a helmet.

You can find many of them thru one of our sponsor vendors, Sierra Electronics @Sierra-mc

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Air Rider | Facebook

Air Rider/Ooltewah Outdoor Living
5722 Main Street
P. O. Box 742
Ooltewah, TN 37363
(423) 238-5388

Ask for Matt..........!!

I have a Nolan Helmet with the Air Rider headset and it is excellent.....!!

Oct 18, 2018 Nolan “N40-5” Helmet (XL) # OV30190013 394.95
With Air Rider Headset
Is Air Rider still in operation? I have been using their headsets sine 1999 and really like them but I don't think they are selling them anymore. I took a peek at their Facebook page and it doesn't appear that it has had an update in years. It also does not appear that their website is currently active. Air Rider

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've been chewing on replacing my old Shoei Neotec and Ed's Set speakers with a newer version replacement. I'm looking at the J&M Elite 801 series headset installed in a Neotec II as a package deal from Sierra Electronics. The J&M will plug into the bikes connector and the audio is controlled from the bikes audio controls just like I'm used to. Going with a wireless setup would add hundreds of dollars to get there, to have the same results without a cable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bilt motorcycle helmet with built in sena 2.1 Bluetooth . That’s what I’ve been using about $200.00 brand new

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Is Air Rider still in operation? I have been using their headsets sine 1999 and really like them but I don't think they are selling them anymore. I took a peek at their Facebook page and it doesn't appear that it has had an update in years. It also does not appear that their website is currently active. Air Rider
They were in business in October 2018. I provided a phone number, Anyone interested could give them a call.

I actually communicated with Matt in June 2019.

Just because their "web site" might not be active at this time does not necessarily mean they are "out of business".

I think a phone call would determine their status.....!

·
Registered
2004 GL1800
348 Posts
Bilt motorcycle helmet with built in sena 2.1 Bluetooth . That’s what I’ve been using about $200.00 brand new
We bought Built helmets and the sena smh10 's.
Then let the Cycle Gear sales girl install them and show us how to use them.
Helmets and headset totalled just under $600 i think.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I use the Sena 10 and so far (even after three yrs) I'm extremely happy

Ronnie

·
Registered
609 Posts
Are you looking at wired or wireless communications. Wired will allow you to use the Wing's intercom and radio (CB if you have one). Wireless will provide you the ability to have communications with your wife, additional people on bikes IF they have a similar wireless system, the ability to receive and make call on you smartphone. How much are you willing to spend? Wired headset are now about $150 per set I am guessing...or more depending on the maker. Bluetooth headsets can be as inexpensive as $150 for a set to well over $250 a set.

I am currently using set I purchased on Amazon and it fits my needs perfectly. Normally it is just my wife an I riding together and we have good communications. I can send music to my headset via a bluetooth connection and also have my phone as a GPS providing turn by turn if needed....

·
Registered
707 Posts
:cool: Contact Sierra Electronics 800-338-6938. They can help you with your choice of helmets and inter-com systems. 👍

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
They were in business in October 2018. I provided a phone number, Anyone interested could give them a call.

I actually communicated with Matt in June 2019.

Just because their "web site" might not be active at this time does not necessarily mean they are "out of business".

I think a phone call would determine their status.....!
I called them this morning at (423) 238-5388 Ext 12. The message received is "Unfortunately, Air Rider is no longer in business. Sorry for the inconvenience" What a shame. In my estimation, their headsets were superior. I have several and the oldest ones, which are still in use to this day, were put into service in 2000 at the GWRRA Wing Ding in Billings, MT.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don’t know what Bilt helmet you bought but the ones I have the sena 2.1 is already installed from the factory, go to any online supply and they are $230.00 brand new.

·
Registered
383 Posts
We love the functionality features of Sena SMH10 we have but, we also had issues with head unit stating to malfunctioning after @year or so.

The issue was erratic loss of functions. Cause, the contacts wear from removing the head unit from base to recharge, causing rapid wear of random contacts, affecting random functions.

So, we switched to Cardo FreeCom2. Not as functional as Sena, not liking some of the features(or lack thereof compared to Sena).

Plus side, the battery life seem to be longer when you setup automatic sleep feature after period of non-active usage...it goes to sleep, prolonging battery charge.

It's also more "aerodynamic" than Sena SMH10's, easy to remove and recharge without any issue so far, unlike Sena.

We had Cardo for nearly 2 years now with no issues.

Brands are just matter of preference. You can go cheap with little or less features or pay premium for "higher end" units loaded with features you don't need or hardly ever use.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts