GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for some of you experienced Goldwing owners and travelers:

Do you use a device to discourage theft such as an aftermarket secure padlock and chain, brake rotor lock, or other device to prevent theft when your wing is parked overnight in a strange place?

If so, what do you recommend?

I've taken a couple of long trips with mine and usually stay in cheap Motel 6s, sometimes in less than desirable neighborhoods. I normally turn the front wheel hard left, lock the steering, put it in gear, and put my cover on it.

I don't think its very likely that anyone can pick a Goldwing up and load it on a truck but someone could possibly break the steering lock and roll it away or hotwire it and ride it away.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Never used anything other than the steering lock on any bike I have owned. Figure if they want it and can't steal it, they will tear it up trying anyways. Hopefully, if it gets stolen, it will be covered by the insurance. But really, who would want a "black" wing with a square tire! LOL

·
Registered
498 Posts
I use a rotor lock, lock the steering with it in gear and cover the bike with a half cover if I am leaving the bike over night outside. I also look for the best spot to park either right outside my room or where visible from the front desk. Granted there are not very many Wings stolen I figure why take a chance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A lot of motels will allow you to park in or near the pull through. If the parking lot is well lit and in a decent part of town I normally like parking at the room. If worried at all and the desk is maned all night I ask about parking where thay can see the bike.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I park it, lock the steering and pull the cover over it that has "GOLDWING" in big letters.....that scares them away...ha....

If it was a Harley, it would bring more for parts if stolen.....

I have even seen some Harley folks pull a Goldwing cover over their bike, hoping no one would bother it then.....

So far in all the years I have been traveling and staying in motels, I have never had anyone bother the bike...

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
164 Posts
I usually try to park in front of my room or in a well lit area available. I do use a lock in my rotors as well as the steering lock. i always cover the bike with a cover.. most of the time a full cover. So far so good.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I try to get a motel that has a door entrance from the parking lot (not a hallway) and park the bike in the lot in front of the door. I use a half cover but I don't think I have ever used the steering stem lock. A Harley once posted that his security system for his Harley was a cover that had GOLD WING written in the side!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Normally when we travel we are the strange folks on the motorcycle at most m/hotels we stay at. No one ever bothers us.;)

In fact being one of the few bikes in a lot keeps extra helping eyes on our ride.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I park it, engage reverse, and lock the steering .

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
A neat little trick is to turn on the reverse switch before shutting the bike off, thereby locking the wheels so it can't be rolled away.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I put the bike in reverse and before I lock the handlebar, I put a lock on the front brake lever from www.grip-lock.com. With the handlebar in the locked position, picking the lock on the grip lock is nearly impossible as it sits nearly against the right mirror. (Of course, only another Goldwinger would know to move the mirror forward if they wanted to mess with the grip lock.)

By putting the bike in reverse a would-be thief would need my key to get it out of reverse. Then, I cover it with a half cover.

I never have had a problem with this and it gives me great peace of mind knowing the my bike is nearly impossible to steal.

·
Registered
19,374 Posts
All the above.

Invest your alarm dollars on a hotel upgrade. Use PRICELINE.COM and bid $40-45 and get Courtyards in most areas or 2-1/2 to 3 star hotels

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
usually stay in cheap Motel 6s, sometimes in less than desirable neighborhoods.
I generally avoid cheap hotels cause they are like cheap pants - no ball room. Although they change bed sheets every day, I hear they just change them from one bed to another.

As for parking the bike - I ask the front desk to park the bike under the canopy where the CCTV has it in sight and give the clerk permission to kill anyone who touches the bike. Otherwise, center stand, steering lock and disk lock. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I installed a sidecar on mine it makes way more difficult to steal it:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I don't worry about any of this. Just park and go to my room. Never had a problem... anywhere. There are bikes out there far more desirable to steal than a wing.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to each of you for your thoughts and suggestions.

I like the suggestion of using the reverse switch for a parking lock. Other than that I think I'll just continue doing what I've been doing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts